• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestive enzymes cancel out prebiotics?

dannybex

I've been taking plant-based digestive enzymes (typically Enzymedica Digest Gold) for years now, but have been wondering of late if they could cancel out any sort of prebiotic if they digest the fiber that makes the prebiotic beneficial? I couldn't find any studies on the subject.

I'll tag as many brainiacs as I can (barely) think of, but my brain fog is bad, so don't take it personally if you're not tagged -- and feel free to chime in with your views.

Tagging @Hip @alicec @Learner1 @alex3619, etc., etc..

Hip

Don't really know, but given that humans naturally secrete digestive enzymes, if these natural enzymes destroyed the nutritional benefits of prebiotics for friendly bacteria, then no prebiotics would have any benefit. But we know that is not the case, as prebiotics help promote friendly bacteria. So my guess is that supplemental digestive enzymes will not harm prebiotics.

dannybex

Don't really know, but given that humans naturally secrete digestive enzymes, if these natural enzymes destroyed the nutritional benefits of prebiotics for friendly bacteria, then no prebiotics would have any benefit. But we know that is not the case, as prebiotics help promote friendly bacteria. So my guess is that supplemental digestive enzymes will not harm prebiotics.

Thanks @Hip. Yes, humans produce various enzymes to help break down foods -- things like amylase, protease, pepsin, lipase, trypsin, etc..

I do wonder though, if some of the enzymes present in these plant enzyme products -- like Invertase, Maltase, Glucoamylase, Alpha Galactosidase, Phytase, Pectinase, Xylanase, Hemicellulase, Beta glucanase -- if taking these 'extra' enzymes break downs the various prebiotic fibers so much so that they negate their benefits?