• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestion issues since big meal a few weeks ago (bloating, fullness, gas) ?

Bansaw

I had a birthday meal a few weeks ago and ate more than usual.
Afterwards, and for a few days I felt full, bloated and much gas (burping), hard to sleep.

After a week I got better, but now its not taking much for me to get back to that state of feeling very full , bloated and gas (even after eating a regular sized meal). I had a normal-sized meal of beef,rice and lettuce last night and I still feel very full etc.

Any tips on getting over this feeling and getting my digestion working as it should again?
(I'm considering digestive enzymes. My wife is getting some Zypan, I might try that).

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Bansaw - that's how I used to feel when my gallbladder wasn't working right and stomach acid was low. It would feel like food just sat in my stomach for hours and wouldn't get digested.

My chiropractor who did muscle testing helped pin down the problem. He gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process which I had to take for several weeks, but it worked great to get my gallbladder working properly, and and then at some point I started taking betaine HCL with pepsin with meals, and my digestive problems got sorted out quickly. This was 18 years ago or so, I still take betaine HCL with pepsin occasionally, probably should take it more! But my digestion has improved a lot since back then, no more gallbladder or liver problems (see below).

At one time I also had to do a liver detox, but the symptoms of my liver being overloaded with toxins were different - I felt sick then, very tired, had trouble eating before noon, etc. And the same chiro helped with a liver detox - again, I had no clue what was going on until I saw him.

Is it possible for you to get a quick test for heliobactor or SIBO?

Also during that Birthday meal that started the problem, did you eat something different than usual?
Maybe you ate a specific food that is only slightly hard to digest, but then in huge amounts does damage ?
Potato and starches are like that for me. I can only eat them in small amounts.

I am just throwing suggestions because I used to have bowel problems.

Does either chicken soup or bone broth help?

Does ginger infused in hot water - like a regular ginger tea help?
Those seem to help me and both have anti inflammatory effects on the gut.

There is also Vivomix or whatever it's name is = that probiotic which has papers written on it and has to be kept refridgerated.

Bansaw

My chiropractor who did muscle testing helped pin down the problem. He gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process which I had to take for several weeks, but it worked great to get my gallbladder working properly, and and then at some point I started taking betaine HCL with pepsin with meals, and my digestive problems got sorted out quickly. This was 18 years ago or so, I still take betaine HCL with pepsin occasionally, probably should take it more! But my digestion has improved a lot since back then, no more gallbladder or liver problems (see below).
It could be gallbladder - my mom had her's removed but she had different symptoms (a reaction to spicy food).
I'm taking Zypan since yesterday. Standard Process are great, my doc's favorite. I'll look into Betafood, and maybe try ginger tea.
@Mary - did you take 2 x AF Betafood's per day? And for 'several weeks'.

Last edited:

Bansaw

Also during that Birthday meal that started the problem, did you eat something different than usual?
Maybe you ate a specific food that is only slightly hard to digest, but then in huge amounts does damage ?
Potato and starches are like that for me. I can only eat them in small amounts.
With my birthday meal, it was something I have at home about once every two weeks or so. But that particular meal was more in terms of quantity.

Mary

Moderator Resource
It could be gallbladder - my mom had her's removed but she had different symptoms (a reaction to spicy food).
I'm taking Zypan since yesterday. Standard Process are great, my doc's favorite. I'll look into Betafood, and maybe try ginger tea.
@Mary - did you take 2 x AF Betafood's per day? And for 'several weeks'.
It's been around 18 years since I took it so I don't remember the exact dose, but I'm positive I had to take at least 2 with each meal, not 2 a day. And it might even have been 3 with each meal - they're small tablets. But I would take at least 2 with each meal. Several weeks? Again, a long time ago but I'm guessing maybe 6 weeks, I really don't know for sure. I just looked at the SP website and it referenced a study in which patients took it for 12 weeks and had good results with their gallbladder.

Does your doctor do muscle testing? Any practitioner I've seen who uses SP products also does muscle testing, and that indicated how much I should take and for how long. And also they could recheck me in 4 or 6 weeks or so.

If it is your gallbalder, for now I would avoid fatty foods - cheese, ice cream, fried foods - they're hard to digest. And eat light protein like chicken or fish, which are easier to digest than beef, and of course vegetables and fruit are pretty easy to digest. Also lemon juice was helpful in making me feel better - it can help with digestion and can cleanse the gallbladder and liver. And I did end up having to take betaine HCL with pepsin - prior to then the gallbladder problems kept resurfacing, but stopped after I added in the betaine HCL with pepsin. Low stomach acid is very common in people with ME/CFS.

lenora

Hi.....I'll add to what @Mary said and that is that digestive issues are common in people with ME. It generally starts with something common like Irritable Bowel, but then worsens over the years.

I know that I simply can't eat after 4:00 p.m. I also can't have liquor or too much of other liquids after that time. I do have sips of water. If I deviate, problems do exist. Sugar substances also cause a lot of stomach/digestive problems....that's simple to cure. Use Stevia, a natural herbal product that is sold in the grocery stores. Larger packs can be used in cooking.

If you're having problems, I would suggest vinegar, baking soda (you can look it up) followed by a liquid diet for a few days. Homemade soups are very healthy and those made with bone marrow are the best of all. You can ask a butcher for the marrow bones (not for dogs, but for people). This will generally straighten me out and relieve that awful feeling.

Don't be in a hurry to have your gallbladder removed. Removal, unless absolutely necessary, can cause several other problems. I would try the pills Mary suggested before that. Usually things will disappear with enough time and a few changes. Yours, Lenora