• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did your mother have a blood transfusion BEFORE your illness?

• Thread starter cold_taste_of_tears
  • Start date

• No

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Yes before I was born

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Yes during pregnancy (with me)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

cold_taste_of_tears

caledonia

I know my mom had one after I was born, but I'm not sure about before I was born. Unfortunately she passed a few years ago and nobody else in the family either knows or remembers. My mom already had CFS before the blood transfusion.

Countrygirl - are you saying, the XMRV could be transmitted to the rest of the family if the mom had a blood transfusion after they were born? Or are you saying there are other routes of transmission besides blood borne or in the womb (vertical transmission).

Transmission is my biggest question - I sent the question in to Judy Mikovits for the Jan. 22 Prohealth thing.

Countrygirl

Is it infectious ?

Countrygirl - are you saying, the XMRV could be transmitted to the rest of the family if the mom had a blood transfusion after they were born? Or are you saying there are other routes of transmission besides blood borne or in the womb (vertical transmission).

Hi Caledonia,

I am not qualified in this field, so my opinion is valueless. I was just answering the question. All I know is my mother had repeated transfusions when I was a child. Was the blood contaminated? I don't know.

There is some anecdotal evidence that this thing is transmitted somehow. From my observations, a close friend, who looked after me for a number of years when I was nearly bedridden, has developed M.E., or an M.E.- type illness, in their 70s. Makes me wonder. Another close friend who has M.E. has just told me that her mother was ill with possible, but undiagnosed, M.E. for years. Someone else with M.E. I know employed a young woman to live-in to help her run the house. The employee developed the illness went home and died as a result of complications caused by the condition. I know of whole families who have developed the illness. There is all very vague, of course, but it could be explained by an infectious agent being responsible. If it is infectious or contagious, it might be that regular and long-term exposure is necessary for transmission. But, as I said, I am not qualified to pass an opinion.

My only qualification here is 30 years experience of M.E. and 25 years of talking with hundreds of people with the illness and listening to their history.

Best wishes,

C.G.