• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did olive leaf extract enhance the antiviral qualities of atorvastatin?

I am still trying to fully explain my recovery from moderate ME/CFS. You may have read that I experienced rapid improvement in symptoms after I was prescribed atorvastatin in hospital after a minor stroke.

Apart from an article from Dr Jacob Teitelbaum, I have found very little to explain my dramatic return to good health. One would have expected that other people would have found that atorvastatin was helpful in treating their ME/CFS. However, I have been unable to find any examples of this happening. (See: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...medication-helped-ease-me-cfs-symptoms.78831/). Perhaps, my remission isn't solely due to this statin?

Maybe the olive leaf extract that I was taking a few days before being admitted to hospital somehow modulated my immune response? (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29149822).

I therefore hypothesize that this has greatly enhanced the antiviral, anti-inflammatory and other qualities of atorvastatin. (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28771872).

So, I wonder if taking olive leaf extract together with atorvastatin would be a universally effective treatment regimen for ME/CFS?

Hip

Can you remind me of how long you took atorvastatin for before your ME/CFS went into remission? And at what dosage? And did you continue taking olive leaf extract while you were taking atorvastatin?

By the way, you might consider placing all your posts about this atorvastatin ME/CFS remission into the same thread. It's hard for people to find all the associated information when that info is scattered across the 10 threads you have started on this topic. Whenever a new post is added to an old thread, that thread will reappear at the top of the New Posts listing, so people will see it, because most people when they come to this forum go to the New Posts page.

Can you remind me of how long you took atorvastatin for before your ME/CFS went into remission? And at what dosage? And did you continue taking olive leaf extract while you were taking atorvastatin?

I took atorvastatin for a few days to about a week before starting to go into remission. It was at 80mg, which is generally considered to be the maximum dose.

Olive leaf extract was taken immediately before entering hospital, where I stayed for one week. I stopped taking it while I was there. When I returned home, I started taking it again because I had always found it beneficial to my health. (Note that I continue taking a high dose of olive leaf extract in powdered form).

By the way, you might consider placing all your posts about this atorvastatin ME/CFS remission into the same thread.

Ok, will do.

Maybe the olive leaf extract and other herbal supplements that I was taking immediately before my stroke prepared my immune system to work with atorvastatin to overcome CFS?

Could it be that it was the combination of the things that I was taking that was the key factor in my recovery? Obviously, I had to stop taking them when I was in hospital.

Prior to being admitted to hospital, I was taking the following per day:
1. Olive leaf extract (high strength) in powder form
2. Astragalus capsules (typical dosage)
3. Echinacea capsules (2 x 5 gram capsules)
4. Resveratrol caplets (high strength)
5. Propolis capsules (high strength)
6. Essential fatty acids (fish, flax and evening primrose oil)

From what I have read, it can take about 2 weeks for vitamins and other supplements to be completely eliminated from the body. [1]

So, I wonder if taking the above supplements together with atorvastatin would be a universally effective treatment regimen for ME/CFS?

Reference

[1] https://academic.oup.com/asj/article/24/4/385/211729

Hip

That idea the supplements you took prior to starting statins played a role does not seem very plausible to me.

I would suggest looking at the way statins affect the immune system, as ME/CFS is likely an immune-mediated disease. You might find something in that area which might explain how atorvastatin led to remission from your ME/CFS.

For example, I just found this study which says:
The researchers studied the interaction between the two most important immune cells in this context, T cells and dendritic cells. By looking at atherosclerotic plaque sourced direct from operations on human patients, they found that oxidised LDL-cholesterol activates inflammatory T cells from plaque via the dendritic cells.

The statins block the T cells and stimulate the production of anti-inflammatory T cells (T regulatory cells). The dendritic cells are also affected in a way that renders them anti-inflammatory.

T-reg cells may act to quell autoimmunity, for example.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts and the link to the interesting study.

It seems that the nature of ME/CFS changes over time. In fact, the way I felt when I was first diagnosed was quite different to how I felt in recent years before my remission. However, the symptom of crushing fatigue was always present, although that also varied in its intensity.

Unfortunately, I still haven’t found any examples of statins helping to ease ME/CFS symptoms in other people. So, I truly hope that I am not the only one.

Tammy

I disagree with HIP................I think it's very possible the supplements you took could very well have played a role. Those are some really good supplements you were taking.

I think it's very possible the supplements you took could very well have played a role. Those are some really good supplements you were taking.

Thanks for your feedback. Each of the supplements showed some tangible benefit in helping me to deal with ME/CFS. I only kept taking the ones that I felt were “doing something”, even though that effect might have been very small. For example, at one stage I felt that the resveratrol was really giving me more energy. That made sense, as it could theoretically assist with any mitrochondrial problems that I may have been experiencing.

Despite an extensive search, I still haven’t found anyone who says that statins have helped them ease ME/CFS symptoms. I have seen a lot of scientific studies about statins, and they theoretically can successfully treat ME/CFS.

Out of curiosity, I have just searched the clinical trials website at https://clinicaltrials.gov/ but unfortunately there are no studies for using statins to treat ME/CFS.

So if they could work in theory, why is there no evidence that they work in practice?

Hello, sorry, I am writing through a translator. Atorvastatin was prescribed for high cholesterol at a dose of 10 mg at night. Then there were strong improvements, but this did not connect with the pills. I got tested, cholesterol dropped by half, and I quit drinking. I am wondering how you took, how long and at what time of the day after meals? I have been following your topic for a long time. If you can, please describe what exactly did you improve?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hip

I am wondering how you took, how long and at what time of the day after meals? I

The information @Hopefulone provided on atorvastatin is scattered across a number of threads. You can search his/her posts here.

This post may be of interest to you:
I took atorvastatin for a few days to about a week before starting to go into remission. It was at 80mg, which is generally considered to be the maximum dose.

Then there were strong improvements...
It is very encouraging that you are feeling better!

I am wondering how you took, how long and at what time of the day...
Since September last year, I have continued to take atorvastatin every night. Recently, I have reduced the dose from 80mg to 40mg per day.

I have been following your topic for a long time. If you can, please describe what exactly did you improve?
Thanks for your interest in my case. My doctor considers me to be in a durable remission from ME/CFS. I no longer have any symptoms.

Last year I was also prescribed statins. I drank for a week, I was afraid of side effects, so I stopped. Interestingly, after three days of taking, absolutely all symptoms of fatigue and brain fog disappeared. But I did not associate this with statins, because everyone writes this evil. And for a week I was a healthy person. I tested for cholesterol, it fell below normal. And then I found your topic by accident, remembered my experience. Now I will try again. Thank you. For the information.