• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did Dr Gallo first discover MuLVs in human leukaemias and lymphomas in the 1970s?

Countrygirl

http://treatingxmrv.blogspot.com/2011/04/another-perspective.html#comm

I hope I haven't double posted, but I haven't seen this here. Apologies if it has already been discussed.

This is the latest blog from Dr Deckoff-Jones in which she posts a letter from Dr Snyderman to the WPI. There is one line that particularly grabbed my attention, which I have put in bold. He says that MuLVs were first discovered in leukaemia and lymphomas in the 1970s by Dr Gallo. I assume that he must refer to HUMAN leukaemias and, if so, this surely strongly supports Dr Mikovits's work. Why don't we know about this and has Dr Gallo ever made a statement about his findings? This seems to have passed under the radar without comment or have I just lost the plot?

C.G.

Dear Dr. Deckoff-Jones:

It is a shame that the WPI has lost time from having to be on the defensive. I am a believer in MLRVs causing human disease. The supporting data actually goes back to the 1970s. Three different research labs including Robert Gallo's the co-discoverer of HIV found MLRVs in many different types of lymphoma and leukemia.
I believed in "XMRV" enough that when Dr. Mikovits told me that my blood sample was positive, I put myself on AZT and raltegravir for my chronic lymphocytic leukemia and CFS. At the time I started treatment (5/27/10) both were getting worse quickly. I had no treatment for cancer or CFS prior to ARV's.

I have been a hematologist/oncologist for 40 years. I am tired and am not cured but I am improved at 11 months on treatment. Both the leukemia and the CFS improved coincident with disappearance of infectious virus from my plasmaents

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm not sure about the MuLV's, but I would think that if Dr. Gallo had found them we would be aware of it. Dr. Gallo is usually very vocal if there is information to be known. MuLV's could have gotten pushed to the side due to the HIV virus. Dr. Gallo advertised very hard that he had discovered the HIV virus, but from what i have read and believe to be the most credible is that the French researcher found it first.

I vaquely remember something about the MuLV's being dismissed many years ago, but I'm grasping with that memory.

liquid sky

I believe they found parts of retroviruses, pieces or strands, not fully functioning viruses. I think it is mentioned in Osler's Web, but I don't have the book here to site the page.

You would think that would be enough to open up a lot of research on retroviruses, but apparently not. The history of retroviruses is littered with researchers whose careers were ended after spending years on research. DeFrieta's virus is still out there too, stored in a freezer.

paddygirl

Dr Gallo gave a talk in my local medical school a few months after the Science paper.
I saw the word 'retrovirologist' in the newspaper ad and thought I would go along and ask a few questions.

I mentioned XMRV and got some very strange looks from students and faculty. Dr Gallo mumbled a bit and said he was interested as he had 'prostate problems' and then said that the link probably was not going to pan out and that ME/CFS would probably turn out to be psychological. I wasn't impressed, so much for an open and inquisitive scientific mind.

The talk was touted as being from the man who should have got the Nobel Prize. This was said again in the introduction from the podium. Cringe making. :rolleyes: