• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did anyone have PEM when they had mono/EBV infection? Or is that just for CFS?

Hip

that's why I think the whole viral testing bit isn't giving an accurate picture.

This is the problem scientists have in their efforts to link low-level pathogenic infections in the body to chronic disease conditions.

Merely testing the blood may not tell you much about low-level infections which might be hidden in the organs.

You may only be able to detect these low-level organ infection using an organ biopsy. That's possible for some organs, but you cannot really take brain biopsies from living patients. So neurological diseases like ME/CFS which may involve a brain infection are hard to study.

Rufous McKinney

I had mono so long ago now that I can't remember exactly what it felt like. I almost might prefer plain garden-variety mono to what I've got now.

For me- it requires remembering being 10, 13, 15 and 22.

So something always went wrong during bouts 1, 2 and 3 (take tonsils, appendics, pneumonia).

But when I was 22, i was in grad school and was again diagnosed acute Mono- and put on Prenisone- this is the only time I was ever given any direct treatment. for two weeks, I did not go to classes and stayed home. I actually- went on numerous very long walks- go figure. I'm just all tired and lymphy.

Not sleeping well- on the Prenisone...heart rate 180 beats per minute. I'm at that time thinking- this is medicine?

How is this helping?

After the two weeks- the Prednisone wound down, tired and lymphy came back. I concluded the Pred was just a waste of time, and I'm back in the same place.

I- resumed the classes I had, the semester was not as glamorous as others- I got a lousy B+ in seminar and that made me mad. I just- pulled out of it- somehow- again.