• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Derya Unutmaz lab update report

Murph

:)
JAX ME/CFS CRC Scientific Progress – 2019

On July 12, 2019 By jaxmecfs

image-from-ios-2-e1562853941646.jpg

Research in the ME/CFS field has implicated immune and microbial dysbiosis in ME/CFS patients, so a major goal of our ME/CFS Center at JAX is to deeply characterize patient clinical phenotypes together with immunologic, metabolic, and microbiome markers in the blood and gut. Over the course of the five year study, we aim to recruit 150 ME/CFS patients and follow them through three time points over the course of three years, where we will collect detailed clinical information, blood, and stool samples. We also aim to recruit 100 age- and sex-matched healthy controls, and 50 controls will be followed through a second time point. As we approach the end of second year of the study, we would like to share some of our progress with the ME/CFS community.

All of the patient recruitment is done at The Bateman Horne Center of Excellence (BHC), which serves as the Clinical Core for the JAX CRC. We began enrolling our first patients early last year. Since then, our clinical core has done a herculean effort to enroll a total of 131 ME/CFS subjects and 72 healthy controls for this study. The ME/CFS patients have also been divided into two groups: half with disease duration of less than 4 years and the other half for more than 10 years, as we will also be asking how the chronic state of the disease impacts the immunological and metabolic features. We believe that this will be one of the largest of such cohorts for this type of study. We have also started to collect second year time points for subjects who were recruited last year, and so far have had 16 ME/CFS patients and 9 healthy controls come back for biological sample collection and clinical information.

continues at this link: https://jaxmecfs.com/2019/07/12/jax-crc-study-progress/

Diwi9

Administrator
It's so good to learn about progress updates, even if the study is not complete. Would love to hear more about the NIH IntraMural study...but their progress has been much slower. Kudos to JAX CRC!

perrier

So that is the plan for 5 years; this is not encouraging at all. Sure, they live on their grants and need to employ folks and have a time line, but there is not time line for the ill. 5 years is too long; why couldn't this been done swifter.