• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Decreased NO production in endothelial cells exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients

mitoMAN

Decreased NO production in endothelial cells exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients R Bertinat et al. Vascul Pharmacol. 2022. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35074481/

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating disease characterized by severe and persistent fatigue. Along with clinical studies showing endothelial dysfunction (ED) in a subset of ME/CFS patients, we have recently reported altered ED-related microRNAs in plasma from affected individuals. Inadequate nitric oxide (NO), mainly produced by the endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) in endothelial cells (ECs), is a major cause of ED. In this study, we hypothesized that plasma from that cohort of ME/CFS patients induces eNOS-related ED in vitro.....
In conclusion, this study in vitro shows a decreased NO production in HUVECs exposed to plasma from ME/CFS patients, suggesting an unreported role of eNOS in the pathophysiology of this disease.