• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dante Labs' Black Friday 2018 sale, WGS for $199

https://us.dantelabs.com/blogs/news/dante-labs-black-friday-2018-special

"Dante Labs Black Friday 2018 Special
NOV 18, 2018 POSTED BY: ANDREA RIPOSATI

We are excited to announce the launch of our USD 199 Black Friday week promotion.

The promotion is set to bring an easy ability for anybody to put a premium on their health and wellness and that of their loved ones this holiday season. Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) has not only emerged as a method to better understand individual health, but also a more complete way to understand chances for risk across disease, lifestyles and hereditary traits in addition to potential treatments and prevention.

While WGS may have cost Three Billion dollars the first time a full genome was sequenced in 2003, this year we are allowing customers worldwide an ability to unlock the secrets of their Genome.

Your genome is 100% of your DNA compared to most consumer testing services that simply offer single digit or less access. Owning the data of your genome is a life investment and Dante Labs is excited to provide a whole new doorway for access.

The offer will be valid, both in the US and EU, starting from Sunday, November 18th 2018. Customers can purchase Whole Genome Sequencing at USD 199 for 1 week, until November 26th 2018.

"Andrea Riposati, Published on Nov 17, 2018
It is history in genetics. This Black Friday week, Dante Labs offers full DNA analysis (whole genome sequencing) at $199 or €169. www.dantelabs.com "

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought a 30x wgs for $199 is newsworthy. If this violates something though, mods, please delete.

There's also the $99 (or free) 4x WGS at nebula.org, with the possibility of 30x someday.

It's tricky to know which one to choose... Dante seems run by a tiny office, and reads (30x) have been taking 4-6 months. They are in Italy, and offer a harddrive of data for $69 more, with data stored on AWS.... Might be less likely to create insurance problems in the US later, not sure. Nebula is run by George Church's lab in the US, is well funded, raw data is stored encrypted across a blockchain, is set up to encourage sharing for research, faster turnaround at 2 months (4x). Both claim security, encryption, privacy, downloadable VCF files, access to BAM files. I think FASTQ is only from Dante though, for an extra fee.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
advertising
I thought a 30x wgs for $199 is newsworthy. If this violates something though, mods, please delete.
It is fine to post links and text that might be useful to members. The No Advertising rule comes into play if you post something that gives you the member a financial return.

junkcrap50

There's also the $99 (or free) 4x WGS at nebula.org, with the possibility of 30x someday.

It's tricky to know which one to choose... Dante seems run by a tiny office, and reads (30x) have been taking 4-6 months. They are in Italy, and offer a harddrive of data for $69 more, with data stored on AWS.... Might be less likely to create insurance problems in the US later, not sure. Nebula is run by George Church's lab in the US, is well funded, raw data is stored encrypted across a blockchain, is set up to encourage sharing for research, faster turnaround at 2 months (4x). Both claim security, encryption, privacy, downloadable VCF files, access to BAM files. I think FASTQ is only from Dante though, for an extra fee.

What's 30x vs 4x for WSG?

Carl

Only €169 in Europe, I wish that I had waited now because that is a big difference to the €299 that I paid and I am still waiting for. I am expecting to cure myself of CFS before I receive the results from that test, as soon as I can get other things out of the way.

What's 30x vs 4x for WSG?
There's a bit of imprecision when the alleles are read, so they read the same spot multiple times and see if they get the same thing each time. The more passes they make over the data, the more sure they are of the result. A 4-times read is a quick read; it's fine for getting an idea of what's in each location, but you shouldn't base medical decisions on it without retesting. A 30-times read gives more accuracy-- you can be pretty sure of the result if most reads give you the same answer. Medical diagnostic tests have to make absolutely sure, so they'll often be a 130-times read or more. For example, if someone is suspected of having a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation, doctors need at least 130x before taking action.

The Dante Labs test is 30x on average, which means some places on the genome will have more certainty than others.

23andme is a quick read, which is why it has some miscalled alleles, and why it's a bad idea to rely on certain SNPs for medical decisions without verifying with a deeper genetic read or blood tests. They do tell people their APOE4 status though, so perhaps they read more deeply on some key SNPs? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
How does this defer from 23 andME?

23andme is just a quick read (maybe 1x but I'm not sure), but Dante is 30x on average.

Also 23andme reports on a selection of SNPs (under 800,000 base pairs) scattered around the genome, but Dante reports on the whole genome (3.2 billion base pairs).

One frustrating thing about 23andme is that it reports on a smattering of alleles within interesting genes, but often skips the exact allele I'm looking for. So being able to read the whole gene (all alleles) should be very useful.

*edit: Also-- Dante Labs sequences mitochondrial DNA in addition to the standard nuclear DNA. Both are included.

Last edited:
Only €169 in Europe, I wish that I had waited now because that is a big difference to the €299 that I paid and I am still waiting for. I am expecting to cure myself of CFS before I receive the results from that test, as soon as I can get other things out of the way.

If you recently bought the kit, you could try requesting a partial refund... not sure what they would say. I read about someone who received a partial refund because of a very long delay with his kit (6 months I think).

pamojja

Mailed to Dante lab if they could assure in any way, especially during such a sale with much more workload, it wouldn't take as some are reporting. The answer wasn't that assuring. Unless one really doesn't care how long it will take to have results:

thank you for your message.

Yes, unfortunately it is true that some of our customers have experienced delays in the past. As with all biological processes, during the sequencing some steps might need to be repeated several times before the results meet our quality standards. We prefer to risk a bad review on the internet rather than provide half-ready results.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Mailed to Dante lab if they could assure in any way, especially during such a sale with much more workload, it wouldn't take as some are reporting. The answer wasn't that assuring. Unless one really doesn't care how long it will take to have results:

Dante's official estimate is 50 business days (10 weeks, 2.5 months), but many people (most?) report 4, 5, or 6 months. The time might depend on whether errors occur and rechecks are needed... or maybe some of the labs (Dante subcontracts the reads) are slower... or maybe some countries have a slower turnaround... or maybe they are counting on processing speed to increase over time (a reasonable bet, as there are rumors of new and inexpensive reader and AI software coming from Illumina https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/10/illumina-wants-to-sequence-your-whole-genome-for-100/).

Veritas is more expensive and they also have complaints about delays: https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/danvers/profile/medical-testing/veritas-genetics-0021-144653/complaints

I think Dante is my best bet for getting a 30x genetic analysis and raw data file before next summer; possibly earlier, if they resolve the delays. At least I'm in the queue. :) Someday a genome read will be inexpensive and very rapid.... right now we have one of the two.

Last edited:

perrier

how does all this compare with Genos; the latter give medical interpretation, I think...though not sure.

Seven7

Seven
Ok thank you I got it, a friend researcher is getting into the field. If anybody wants to donate the results pls let me know and I will send you her info! On good university so we can get somebody other university in our side!!!!