• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dante Labs are offering €199/$229 whole genome testing again up to 29th

nandixon

@Lisa108, I'm guessing that the VCF files are maybe just needing to be compressed/zipped from .vcf to the .vcf.gz format using the appropriate gzip software or app.

Edit: If the files are already compressed then maybe there's something wrong with the information lines at the beginning of the file.

Last edited:

Lisa108

Thanks, @nandixon.
I've tried both the compressed and decompressed files, several times... different browsers, too... must be something else.
(I wouldn't even know what to look for in the beginning of the files.)

Since kday's tool and the data viewer worked just fine, I don't think that Promethease would reveal anything new in my case.
I just wanted to add it, as it is a well known and currently free ressource, too (at least until the end of the year).
(Plus wanted to add that maybe the Dantelab-files are not easily compatible with Promethease.)

J.G

I noticed Dante have changed up their products. It's pretty interesting. Next to 30x and 120x WGS coverage they now also advertise an introductory 4x for €199, temporarily discounted to €99. (WES is gone.) I'm on the fence about ordering it. I want my full WGS data and the €99 price point is appealing. However 4x coverage is kind of measly. If I understand it correctly, that's an average of 4 reads per position. I don't know what the approximate read error rate would be percentage-wise and I wonder if 4x coverage is sufficient to avoid imputation altogether. I remember seeing a study about this somewhere, but can't find it now.

Edit: Found the paper, by Bentley et al (2008) in Nature. Figure F5 suggests 4x coverage is quite unreliable. Of course technology has advanced 10 years, so perhaps low-coverage accuracy has improved alongside more sophisticated sequencing techniques, or perhaps it hasn't. I don't really know.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2581791/figure/F5/

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
My timeline:
ordered: April 25th
arrived at Dante: May 21
results: ... nothing... still "Quality check"

Lisa108

@roller, have you tried to contact them? I found that every time I contacted Dante (via their "contact" page), they emailed me back in a couple of days - and I received files that were still missing.

This week, I should finally get the last files (CNV and SV).

Another way to contact Dante (and where I've seen them replying) would be via social media (Facebook, Twitter, Reddit)...

I hope you'll get your results soon!

J.G

Right. So I took the plunge and ordered with Dante. I transferred payment mid October. Then for 2 weeks, they didn't confirm my payment. They didn't assign an order number. They didn't dispatch a kit. They gave no instructions how to proceed. They basically did nothing.

Feeling I'd been had, I requested a full refund. Fast-forward another 2 weeks, and again nothing has happened. I've sent multiple emails asking why it is taking so long to process the refund, and I've received an evasive answer at best ("it's still being looked at", whatever that means.)

Moral of the story: don't buy from Dante.

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
My timeline:
ordered: April 25th
arrived at Dante: May 21
results: Nov 26

... so a full 6 months to get the results, instead of the promised 3 months.

there are two reports
a) Wellness and Lifestyle Report (en_us)
b) Pharmacogenetics Report (en_us)

The first is about (inherited) diseases, some cancer genes and something like that.
The second one lists medications and may mark those with risks due to genetics. there is no "doxycycline" in the list, too bad.

there was no progress at all, until i contacted support and said my whole extended family was waiting for the results. i got the reply that "next week" the sequencing would start. and it did, obviously.

There are files with the following RAW DATA:

Direct download your raw DNA sequencing data.
Indel (VCF) / (TBI)
SNP (VCF) / (TBI)
SV (VCF) / (TBI)
CNV (VCF) / (TBI)
BAM / BAM (BAI)
FASTQ R1 / R2

Cant read them, but they indeed seem to contain data.

roller

wiggle jiggle
@Lisa108 how did you know files were missing ?

im uploading things at sequencing.com
for what i understand, most or the essential analysis of the dante-results (raw data) is for free.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Since kday's tool and the data viewer worked just fine, I don't think that Promethease would reveal anything new in my case.
I just wanted to add it, as it is a well known and currently free ressource, too (at least until the end of the year).

i google "kdays tool" ... what is this ? and what "data viewer" are you using ?

roller

wiggle jiggle
the "Ancestry" app on sequencing.com ran into an error. have contacted support.

other free apps (lactose, athletics) show
ANALYSIS ALERTS
Data ambiguity
Some ambiguity exists in the genetic data file used to generate this report.
To overcome this ambiguity, the analysis used to generate this report had to make assumptions about the data and these assumptions may not be accurate.

... can i trust these dante-data ?

Lisa108

@Lisa108 how did you know files were missing ?
There is one blog post on the Dantelabs homepage saying which files you'd receive. (And what kind of files these are.)

im uploading things at sequencing.com
for what i understand, most or the essential analysis of the dante-results (raw data) is for free.
While the data viewer is free, it doesn't show much (only the "name" (=number) of the snps).
The data viewer plus shows the interpretations of the findings, links to data bases, plus it has a nice search option.

... can i trust these dante-data ?
In general: I don't know.

For using sequencing.com: Which data did you enter? If you only used one file (like the indel file) it may not contain all the information needed for the analysis.

Maybe you could ask kday for help which file (or combination of files) to use?

Lisa108

For those who still want to try out DanteLabs: they do have a Black Friday Offer right now.
(169 € with 8 weeks turnaround time)

Celandine

Just wanted to add my experience with Dante. I'm in the UK, so my experience would be with their Italian lab. Lots of people seem to have had negative experiences but I was really pleased with service and speed. Ordered 30x whole genome on Nov 11th when it was on sale for €179. Kit sent same day and received two days later. I sent completed kit back using prepaid DHL courier envelope and they received it the next day. This was updated on my dashboard and status was 'quality control check' for a few days. Sequencing started on Nov 25th. Reports were ready Dec 3rd. I think it took maybe another week for all the raw data files to be added. All in all the process took well under the 8 week limit. Uploaded some of the raw files to Promethease and Genetic Genie with no issues. Well, some issues as my computer kept automatically unzipping the files which didn't work for Promethease. I emailed them to ask about this and they got back to me about a week later. From my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but maybe I was just lucky.

J.G

Just wanted to add my experience with Dante. I'm in the UK, so my experience would be with their Italian lab. Lots of people seem to have had negative experiences but I was really pleased with service and speed. Ordered 30x whole genome on Nov 11th when it was on sale for €179. Kit sent same day and received two days later. I sent completed kit back using prepaid DHL courier envelope and they received it the next day. This was updated on my dashboard and status was 'quality control check' for a few days. Sequencing started on Nov 25th. Reports were ready Dec 3rd. I think it took maybe another week for all the raw data files to be added. All in all the process took well under the 8 week limit.
That's nice. I would advise everyone to take my experience to heart, and have a glance at the experiences shared on this page:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/dna-testing/dante-labs-inc-0121-176749

Like you, I thought I'd be fine since I'm in Europe and the generally positive comments about Dante on the internet seem to outnumber the negative ones.

Suffice to say I still don't have my money back and will be exploring my options.