• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dante Labs are offering €199/$229 whole genome testing again up to 29th

Lisa108

I would hope for a 91 day turn around. :rofl: Then you can get it for free. That guarantee was not available last August when I purchased mine.
Yes, that would be great, @Carl! :D (But I'd also be ok with getting the results in time and not getting the refund, as the 199€ offer was pretty good.)

The DanteLabs homepage does not specifically mention the guarantee now (there was a headline when I purchased the kit), but this page is still online. Same on Dante's facebook page.

I'm no native speaker so should it read "from April 22nd on"? Maybe the guarantee is just for orders from this one date? :headslap:

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

I've just checked my account and saw this update:
Your Kit will be Sequenced Shortly
Your kit has passed the quality care inspection and is scheduled to be sequenced shortly. After sequencing is complete your results will be posted soon after.

So I'm relieved that the sample is ok and I don't have to send in another one.

roller

wiggle jiggle
Dante Labs received my test kit back on May 9th. Adding 90 days (for the 90-days-results-guarantee), the estimated date would be August 7th (if counting all days) or September 16th (counting working days only).

they received the kit back on may 21 - status email "...to confirm you we have received your sample"
but no more happened.

the next step will be "passing quality check"
then sequencing, i think
then results

the 90-days start on the date they acknowledged receiving the sample (status email).
good question - does this in intl business practice refer to working or calendar days?

Lisa108

New email from Dante today:

Dear customer,
We would like to inform you that we will register some delay in delivering your results, because of backlogs. You can expect your results in the next weeks.
We apologize for the inconvenience, we are working hard to reduce the turnaround time for everyone.
Best regards,
Dante Labs' Team

Hi i am just wondering what can you do with These results? Does it help in Any Kind for diagnosis?

Carl

Hi i am just wondering what can you do with These results? Does it help in Any Kind for diagnosis?
There is a lot of information which makes it more complex to interpret IMO. I am still finding information slowly. It does mean that if anything comes up, I can check my genetic info in order to determine what affect my genes could be having. Unfortunately, ATM, not all genetic SNP's are well documented.

You can use various sites to interpret the results but so far IME the information is not all that great and some interpretation sites do not support full genome data, they only support the far more limited 23andme type data which is a tiny fraction of the whole genome.

I discovered that I have a slight risk of haemochromatosis and therefore I need to be careful with iron because it can build up in the body causing damage. I would not of known this without the test. I was supplementing with iron prior to the test and I have now stopped it. I am not at big risk, I do not need to donate blood to reduce iron but there is some hereditary risk which I need to be aware of.

More things are likely to come up in future as more information about genes is discovered. It is whether it is worth it for you at the price being charged. Certain times have it available at sometimes considerably lower prices therefore picking the time to get it done might be worth it. Then you will always have the information available if you need it.

Moof

Not really, at the moment – I only did it so that I could offer my genome for ME research.

There are all sorts of risk factors that tend to show up, but the vast majority will have no impact at all. You'll see things like '1.2% increased risk for X cancer' against one SNP, followed by '1.4% reduced risk for X cancer' against another. Such tiny increases or decreases in risks are too small to be meaningful, and you have to remember that they're calculated using population-wide statistics whose basis could be completely wrong anyway.

This is especially true if the population sampled is largely made up of a different racial group to yours. I have a SNP that causes a 32% increased risk of something quite serious, but only in people of Chinese heritage. No evidence of any effect in other groups. This is quite a common phenomenon – as are cases where an allele represents an increased risk in one racial group, but the opposite allele is the risk in another.

a slight risk of haemochromatosis and therefore I need to be careful with iron because it can build up in the body causing damage

Haemochromatosis is one of the few important conditions that these tests might usefully show up, but by the age of about 35, blood tests should tell you whether you have it or not. I think the report might be saying that some SNPs probably contribute to it, e.g. compound C282Y/H63D heterozygotes, but they're not sure yet about all the possible mutations; and the classic C282Y SNP, which can definitely cause it when homozygous, has variable penetrance.

My mother tested homozygous for the C282Y variant, but died just short of her 90th birthday without ever developing haemochromatosis. Her sister had the disease, but was only diagnosed in late middle age during pre-op tests for routine surgery. She was found to have slight liver fibrosis, but with venesections to keep her iron levels down, she lived perfectly healthily into her 90s. Their uncle, however, died at 56 from liver cirrhosis, presumably caused by undiagnosed haemochromatosis. This is how variable it can be.

A straightforward blood test is the best way to find out what your transferrin and ferritin levels are. I had mine checked a couple of times following my aunt's diagnosis, but it was normal. I now know that I'm only heterozygous for the SNP, so I'm a carrier but will never develop haemochromatosis. It's a common variant in northern Europeans; a sizeable percentage of people with Irish / British ancestry are estimated to be heterozygous for it.

Lisa108

Well, the last update said that Dante was already done with sequencing.
Today, my account says this:

"Sequencing started

We are sequencing your genome and preparing your reports. Your results will be posted imminently. "

Guess I'll have to wait a bit more...

tiredowl

To those that had their exome testing finished, what does it say in the final report?
''Download raw DNA file'' or something like that?

Moof

The files I received were:

CNV – copy number variation
Indel – insertion / deletion
SNP – single nucleotide polymorphism
SV – structural variation

(I realise you'll know what the abbreviations mean, but thought I'd add them in case anyone else wants to know.)

The files are in the VCF format.

tiredowl

Moof, I recieved my files like that as well. But I can only find the SNP files. I am looking for the whole exome results, but it seems that I cannot find it. Any ideas?
Have you had trouble with using the VCF format?

nandixon

@tiredowl, If I understand correctly what you're asking, it's inherent in a VCF file that only the nucleotide positions that differ from the reference genome are provided. (In this case the reference genome is hg19, which is mostly identical to GRCh37 for the nuclear DNA.) These are the SNPs/mutations (relative to hg19/GRCh37).

If you're wanting to know what your results are at the remaining positions you would just look at an online database to see what the normal "letter" (nucleotide/allele) for a position is (for GRCh37) and assume that's what you have. (But note that these reference genomes use the ancestral allele as the reference at many positions and the ancestral allele can sometimes be the undesirable SNP. It's a bit of a mess.)

Moof

@tiredowl@nandixon has already given the answer I would have offered...except it's in two short paragraphs, instead of a long and incoherent ramble! :rofl:

Only thing to add is that I did have initial problems uploading my data to the online tool provided by @kday, but only because the download to my Mac had added an extra file extension. Mine read '.vcf.gz.vcf', and I had to remove the final '.vcf' in order to upload them. Once I'd done that, it worked fine.

Lisa108

Yesterday I received an email from Dante's CEO, Andrea.
They hope to "finish the entire backlog of samples by mid October."

Lisa108

Got the following results today:

Pharmacogenetics report
wellness-and-lifestyle report
indel.vcf
snp.vcf

My timeline:
ordered: April 25th
received kit, spit in the tube and sent back: May 2nd
arrived at Dante: May 9th
results: September 5th

tiredowl

Do you know which are your 'Whole exome sequencing' results?

I got similar results to you, but why is there no ''WES report'' ?
Pharmacogenetics report and wellness report I got pretty early from returning the test.
But I was most interested in recieving my whole exome sequencing... So far I cannot find the file :(

Last edited:

Lisa108

I don't think that there is something like a WES-report. Which doesn't mean that the results are not there. I just don't know how one would extract them.

Maybe @kday could answer this?

tiredowl

I ordered the test because I wanted to check if I might have some rare mutation. and assumed it had 'whole exome sequencing' testing included, but now I'm not so sure. I mean I can so far only find the SNP , and that's not really enough to provide any clues?
this stuff is too confusing for someone who is constantly brain fogged .

Last edited:

nandixon

Last edited:

Lisa108

I've also used kdays tool and its design is very clear and comprehensible. A great place to start!
I couldn't upload my Dantelabs-files at first, but kday fixed them for me (and even combined the snp and indel files into one).
(Thanks again for your help, @kday! Very much appreciated!)

For comparison, I've also used the "data viewer plus" from sequencing.com (costs are $4.99 per file for one year).
Got the same findings, but I'm glad I had used kday's tool before, cause data viewer plus is a bit like an "advanced level". Not so brain fog friendly...
But if you want to search for a specific gene/variant, this is a good tool.

Another possiblity would be Promethease.com . It is for free (until the end of the year). Another company (MyHeritage) bought Promethease, so if you have an account there and don't want it to move over to MyHeritage, you'd have to delete the account before the end of the year.

That being said, I couldn't upload the Dantelabs-files to Promethease. I tried to contact them, but emails came bouncing back...