• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cytokine storms from meds are killing me

Ivana

hi all,

just wondering if anyone knows much on cytokine storms? Ive been experiencing them so often. Kdm thinks its coz of the meds. I know they can be fatal so i'm worried. I get the fever, neurological "swelling", extreme weakness for 18hrs and now because ive been getting them so often, ive got a very bad flu!! Any advice would be great, i'm very worried because i know how severe they can be, ive stopped my meds.
ivana

rlc

Hi Ivana, sorry don't know to much about cytokine storms, it could be from the meds but that hasn't been proven, what your experiancing could be from the 5 bad interactions that can be caused by the combination of meds you were on, be aware that some of those drugs can have withdrawl symptoms, the only advice I can give you is if things don't improve quickly or get worse get to a hospital straight away, there are some treatments for Cytokine storm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm#Treatment and they would be able to test and help you and to see if the meds are causing the problems.

Hope things improve soon !!!!!

All the best

ukxmrv

Ivana, really sorry to hear what you are going through. I think that these reactions are so severe for many of us and stop the process of healing that other patients go through to some form of recovery.

Did KDM suggest that you take anything? I took Benadryl for what I thought was a cytokine reaction and read somewhere that a KDM patient was taking Daosin for possible IRIS.

Hope that it passes for you soon and that you find some treatments that you can tolerate.

Ivana

yeah i take daosin for histamine intolerance.. I called the hospital but coz cfs isnt urgent, they just told me i'd need to wait all day.. Kdm told me that one of the meds may have shaken up the cytokines and thats whats causing it.. He recommended ldn but we dont have it in such tiny doses here

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
... He recommended ldn but we dont have it in such tiny doses here

You should be able to get the generic 50 mg tablet at most any pharmacy. Many people dissolve the 50 mg tablet in a measured amount of distilled water and take out a tiny dose. The rest can be kept in a brown glass bottle in the fridge.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Ivana

thanks sushi.. We have the 4.5mg but kdm said he wants me to start at .5mg. The pharmacy here said the tablet cant be broken up into such a small amount for some reason. Do u know if ldn has any bad side effects?out of the meds ive taken so far, ive gotten more side effects and problems than i have with improvement

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
thanks sushi.. We have the 4.5mg but kdm said he wants me to start at .5mg. The pharmacy here said the tablet cant be broken up into such a small amount for some reason. Do u know if ldn has any bad side effects?out of the meds ive taken so far, ive gotten more side effects and problems than i have with improvement

Hi Ivana,

No, you can't break up the tablets accurately, but you can dissolve them. For instance if you dissolved a 4.5 mg tablet in 9 ml of distilled water, if you take 1 ml of the dissolved solution, you would be getting .5 mg. I used to have to do this even with compounded capsules as I needed to change my dose frequently and it was much easier just to dissolve the contents of a capsule and measure out the new dose, rather than getting LDN compounded again at another dose.

If you do dissolve, most versions of LDN go into suspension rather than fully dissolving so that you have to keep shaking the dissolved liquid as you measure to get an even suspension. Now I use liquid LDN which is much easier to measure.

LDN is an immune modulator so if you take a higher dose than you are ready for, yes, you could have unpleasant reactions. But as most people start at 1.5 mg., .5 is very low and should be OK. You could even try half that if you want to be very safe.

LDN helps me a lot, but we are all different. I hope your situation works out soon.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Ocean

hi all,

just wondering if anyone knows much on cytokine storms? Ive been experiencing them so often. Kdm thinks its coz of the meds. I know they can be fatal so i'm worried. I get the fever, neurological "swelling", extreme weakness for 18hrs and now because ive been getting them so often, ive got a very bad flu!! Any advice would be great, i'm very worried because i know how severe they can be, ive stopped my meds.
ivana
you said in another thread you were switching SSRIs recently? I know doing that can cause a lot of symptoms. if you haven't already you might want to look into whether that could be causing some or all of your recent symptoms. it's possible to get withdrawal from one SSRI even if you immediately go on another.

Ivana

yeah i did switch, but its not from that as ive been getting cytokine storms since march, soon after i started my treatment and i was on ssri's then consistently. Kdm said its def from the meds as one of them may have shaken up the cytokines.. The cytokine storms are just getting more and more common and its even more paralysing. Im going nuts!