• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cyanobacteria, BMAA, and serine in neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's

Engaging article for general public, covering Dr. Paul Cox's work with BMAA, misfolded proteins, cyanobacteria/blue-green algae, possible disease clusters, and a proposed treatment (serine):
https://fortune.com/longform/alzheimers-disease-cure-breakthrough

ME/CFS has a mention:
"Undeterred, Cox has steered the focus of the Jackson lab to L-serine, which he believes could significantly delay the onset of Alzheimer’s and the progress of its symptoms. The FDA has previously approved the use of L-serine as a safe dietary supplement, and doctors sometimes prescribe it for chronic fatigue syndrome. The Cox team believes L-serine may play a neuroprotective role."

Last edited:

Sidny

Very interesting article and video. They note how ubiquitous Cyanobacteria is and how horrifying the potential widespread exposure to it is for everyone on earth. (Recreating/living near bodies of water, farmers etc.)

It’s amazing how they note people in Guam suffering from neurodegeneration induced by BMAA suffered from symptoms of not only Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s but also ALS type symptoms and all in the same individual.

It leads me to believe that the mechanisms behind neurodegeneration in many cases are all on the same continuum and have a common molecular basis (protein misfolding due to toxins or pathogens)

I wonder how the ALS patients taking the L-serine are faring now?

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

ubiquitous Cyanobacteria

I studied algae in freshwater lakes.....species of cyanobacteria (blue green algae...old school)...are relatively common in natural water bodies. But "blooms" and exceedingly high levels of these algae typically stem from excessive nutrients. AKA: pollution by our fertilizers in particular.

We are poisoning ourselves, as we are adding nutrients and polluting waterways constantly.

In... the US, more of our regulations under the Clean Water Act, have been further gutted recently. Most of the regulatory protections adopted after the Gulf BP Oil Spill (REMEMBER THAT ONE?)...have also been recently disbanded.

So keep making people sick, people.

I thought about trying l-serine to forestall neurodegenerative disorders.... but upon more research, discovered that many cancer cells depend on serine (and glycine and folate), so now I'm unsure what to do.