• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin for muscoskeletal / lactate pain

u&iraok

Has anyone tried the isolated Pterostilbene component of Resveratrol that is believed to have greater bio availability on its own, that may be less susceptible to undergo glucoronidation perhaps - I need to check this! Hence that may determine in part the degree to which bioperine enhances bio availability.

Yes, I take this form. I couldn't tell you if it was different from the regular resveratrol, I'd have to try both to compare. Usually I just buy whichever is on sale.

Dan_USAAZ

Do any of you have thoughts or concerns about the blood thinning effects of curcumin when taking such high doses?

I would very much like to try the higher doses of curcumin to see if it reduces my inflammation, but I appear to get sharply reduced blood clotting when I go over 1gm a day. For example, I would get a minor cut on my hand and it would produce a small amount of blood. An hour later, the blood will not have clotted and it would still be producing a small amount of blood. Maybe it does not affect everyone in this way. I currently take 750mg, which appears to be low enough as to not affect my clotting.

I have seen recommendations to discontinue curcumin prior to surgical procedures. Have also seen warnings related to taking curcumin with daily aspirin, due to the combined blood thinning effects.

Thoughts?

u&iraok

@u&iraok Does it seem to help any symptoms other than pain such as increase stamina ever so slightly? Or tone down any sensory overload?

It does help me a little with sensory overload and brain overload. It gives me somewhat of a calm feeling of wellbeing. I'm not sure about increased stamina.

These were bonuses because I take it for the antioxidant properties.

u&iraok

Do any of you have thoughts or concerns about the blood thinning effects of curcumin when taking such high doses?

I would very much like to try the higher doses of curcumin to see if it reduces my inflammation, but I appear to get sharply reduced blood clotting when I go over 1gm a day. For example, I would get a minor cut on my hand and it would produce a small amount of blood. An hour later, the blood will not have clotted and it would still be producing a small amount of blood. Maybe it does not affect everyone in this way. I currently take 750mg, which appears to be low enough as to not affect my clotting.

I have seen recommendations to discontinue curcumin prior to surgical procedures. Have also seen warnings related to taking curcumin with daily aspirin, due to the combined blood thinning effects.

Thoughts?

It does have blood thinning properties but I haven't noticed a difference. But I'm not a good person to ask because I've always healed from wounds pretty well. I do remember before taking it I scraped the skin off my fingers pretty badly while using a mandolin slicer (dumb!) and there was hardly any pain or bleeding which worried me. It should have hurt like a mother and bled! I remember staring at my fingers in shock and horror waiting for the pain and bleeding which never came.

I did learn that bodily fluids in people with ME/CFS are thicker, I've noticed it with myself. Maybe it extends to blood?

So I looked it up and found that there seems to be some indication that people with ME/CFS have hypercoagulation:

Research conducted by Dr. David Berg and others at Hemex Laboratories1 has found hypercoagulation to be a factor in many patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), [...]

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/hypercoagulation.html