• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crowd funding for Bhupesh Prusty

Rufous McKinney

Mailman School of Public Health at Columbia University. This was the fundraiser: https://www.meaction.net/2016/05/20/donate-to-columbias-center-for-infection-and-immunity/

I think they raised about a million dollars, then Lipkin got sued and I haven't heard anything after that. This study was supposed to happen years ago.

If that is true, its pretty shocking and typically- there is alot of accountability tracking funding sources at legitimate universities.

so if this actually occurred- SOMETHING should be done about it.

Could somebody do a FOIA and get this info? (or is columbia private?)

raghav

Can somebody bring this funding effort to the notice of Ron Davis ? I feel OMF should fund the remaining 12k euros required. The collection effort seems to have reached a plateau.

RL_sparky

Can somebody bring this funding effort to the notice of Ron Davis ? I feel OMF should fund the remaining 12k euros required. The collection effort seems to have reached a plateau.

I asked OMF last week to at least promote it on Twitter and was told: "Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to promote individual fundraisers at this time."

Rufous McKinney

I asked OMF last week to at least promote it on Twitt

I did send it out on twitter...but I"m not OMF...so I don't have a mega list of followers. A few more might see it.

Maybe next Wednesday during ME Awareness Hour...let me TRY REALLY HARD to- send it out again and see if we can get this spread further...at noon on Wed...western time for one hour: alot of Twittering.

raghav

OMF is not accountable to NIH or any governing body of USA or any other country. Ron Davis is OMF and OMF is Ron Davis. This is the blunt truth. OMF gets funded because of the noble and sincere efforts and competence of Ron Davis. OMF had collaboration with Jonas Berquist before Uppsala university was roped in. If that is ok why not this ?

raghav

I get it that they view it a competition. I really thought they recognized were all in this together and the goal is to help each other out but I guess I was wrong on that one.
Yup. You got it spot on. They dont want some 10 cents researcher steal their thunder. I am sorry to use such strong words. Yesterday I was going thorugh the Harvard collaboration effort of OMF. They have written blah blah blah and at the end of the lengthy webpage they say they are yet to recruit patients for the research. It has become a dead end.

Rufous McKinney

They have written blah blah blah and at the end of the lengthy webpage they say they are yet to recruit patients for the research. It has become a dead end.

really? thats- not good, if thats true.

I send $ to OMF and just got my nifty annual accounting letter. But I"d like to know more and its bugging me that- we seem to operate in TWO levels of fog. Local and Regional.

raghav

I feel it is better to fund individual researchers of the likes of Carmen Scheibenboger and Prusty. They are goal oriented and are producing results. I would love to see more funding for Scheibenboger. She was the one who found out about the beta adrenergic receptor antibodies and muscarinic antibodies and one year later OMF through Berquist repeats the study and says Amen.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
Can we get a class action suit going to get that money back? Imagine what Ron Davis could have done with that money. The Lipkin debacle must have had a huge impact on CFS fundraising. I'l never donate to a university again.
you're right! imagine what RON DAVIS could have done with that kind of money! maybe we could already have a biomarker by now..

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
@Uknmy , @lauluce
Why don't you try emailing Dr. Lipkin to see what he might say before labeling him with false charges. I've been in numerous of his studies and find them thorough and rigorous.
Here's his email address: wil2001@cumc.columbia.edu
He is under self imposed quarantine, having just recently gotten back from China. Maybe he has time now to answer you.
yes, we should not waste this opportunity then... english is not my native language, maybe I'm not the most appropriate person to write a lleter to him. Basically, we should ask him what's the status of the "microbiome discovery project" and if something has been done with the money that was raised for said project. Anybody up to the task?

Rufous McKinney

Lol they can't send out a tweet or two?

Interesting!......OMF discusses $4500 has been raised....so CONGRATES we seem to have outraised that group already....and we aren't yet DONE! They sent this out via an email..........

"Today, we want to extend a special thanks to OMF Ambassador Karin Alvtegen, one of Scandinavia’s most widely read and appreciated authors.Karin’s post on her Facebook page about her ongoing battle with ME/CFS has already raised more than $4,500 for OMF to support groundbreaking ME/CFS research"