• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

crippling anxiety

I cancelled a dentist appt today because of anxiety and the exhaustion nd pain it caused.Not dental anxiety.It was just an exam and i have no more fear of dentists than most people. Every time I go anywhere(almost always a medical appt)I get anxious but it doesnt usually result in a cancellation. I think it is fear of exhaustion and today also covid from being in close quarters with the dentist. There could be something uncounsess going on though.
This really needs to stop!. I meditate and do breathing exercises but today I was too anxious even to do that. FYI I think I fall into the category of severe me/cfs so going anywhere is a real trial,especially living alone. I'm reaching out because this has been a long term problem and I really need to understand and deal with this better.I've considered medication but am warry of psychotropic meds especially.It might be neccesary thogh.
Im just looking for some feedback.This is a major issue with me and that needs to change.

vision blue

I also because of fear of exhaustion and covid keep cancelling things (mostly med) that i need to do.( In my case i woukdnt describe it as anxiety tho my dysautonomia does give me inappropriate levels of adrenaline and an off switch that hides for rather a long time)

I think those of us who live alone are ar least a little more likely than those who dont to have this particular issue. So one suggestionnis do you have anyone youd be comfortable asking to go with you? And of not, at least a ride to and fro, and if not that then a committment to talk when you get home. On the very very rare occasion I’ve been able to do this, . Has helped quite a bit

Another thing that might work for some is the reward yourself if you do something difficult. It never works for me though because I tend to not deny myself anything at any time so there’s not much left for a reward. Not counting things that make me sick but those are hardly a reward

Another approach is to focus on it less. Instead Spend most of your thoughts on your reason for being and making that a priority. Then its only with time left over or unavoidable urgent or emergency things that these “chores” get done. ironically , sometimes one can just do them this way, with less thought rather thwn more. Its counterintuiyive because when one needs alot of medical naintenance this seems like should be /has to be higest priority and the things that give us our purpose and joy only when theres time left. But That just gives us a series of one dilemma after another. So you flip the two, and Can work out better. Have Done this and when I can it works much better

Covid issue is hard though. As I’ve posted in other places I’m constantly deciding between medical risk and Covid risK. Can be paralyzing . If you’ve been vaccinated hopefully you can look at the data and realize that it’s often worth the risk I have not been vaccinated so the Covid numbers are inflated

I know ive always been bad at getting myself to do things i feel like i have to but do t want to and its gotten worse. I kind of recognize this personality trait means years off my life and keep hoping other things might offset that...

geraldt52

Please take this reply in the context that it is coming from someone who thinks that benzodiazapines, specifically Klonopin, ruined his quality of life for more than a decade.

The sort of anxiety that you describe is exactly the sort of fleeting problem that benzos such as Ativan are good for. They can be extremely effective when used for short term relief...and when I say short term I mean a day, or maybe two, and then only occasionally, and always at the lowest dose possible.

Using a benzo in this way is not likely to get you in any trouble, although there are some reports otherwise if you search hard enough. Under no circumstances would I take them continuously, and never keep increasing the dose if effectiveness wanes, although doctors may suggest you do just that.

In spite of my horrible experience with Klonopin, I still very occasionally use Ativan when there is something that I absolutely have to accomplish and need a bit of help.

lenora

Please take this reply in the context that it is coming from someone who thinks that benzodiazapines, specifically Klonopin, ruined his quality of life for more than a decade.

The sort of anxiety that you describe is exactly the sort of fleeting problem that benzos such as Ativan are good for. They can be extremely effective when used for short term relief...and when I say short term I mean a day, or maybe two, and then only occasionally, and always at the lowest dose possible.

Using a benzo in this way is not likely to get you in any trouble, although there are some reports otherwise if you search hard enough. Under no circumstances would I take them continuously, and never keep increasing the dose if effectiveness wanes, although doctors may suggest you do just that.

In spite of my horrible experience with Klonopin, I still very occasionally use Ativan when there is something that I absolutely have to accomplish and need a bit of help.

Or ativan instead of buspar. There are a few around. May just get you over the hurdle involved. Yours, Lenora.

blueberry

Just in case this is relevant to anyone- crippling anxiety can be a feature of perimenopause. It's not a symptom that is often talked so maybe not the first thing to be considered.

Crux

There are so many causes of anxiety, it's great you are reaching out.

Inflammation from infections can ring the alarm bells. Anxiety

Low electrolytes can really cause it. High ones too.

Checking magnesium, potassium, calcium, and sodium intake is a good start.