• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crikey, my legs!

Hi,

The last few nights I've had ridiculously aching/stiff legs, especially when laying down. I've had poor nights as I am woken up with legs that are really quite uncomfortable. Even just laying down during the day has been difficult, especially when I go to move/get up.

Assuming folks on here will have experienced similar - if nothing else to reassure me I'm not alone :)

Any suggestions on what may have alleviated for others gratefully received.

Cheers

Brog

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
ridiculously aching/stiff legs

Some people have found relief by using magnesium (either orally, or as 'magnesium oil' spread over the muscles), or by increasing potassium intake through foods or with supplements.

Magnesium is a muscle relaxant. Potassium is required for muscle contraction and relaxation.

especially when laying down

Does it sound like Restless Legs Syndrome?

People with RLS feel the irresistible urge to move, which is accompanied by uncomfortable sensations in their lower limbs that are unlike normal sensations experienced by people without the disorder. The sensations in their legs are often difficult to define but may be described as aching throbbing, pulling, itching, crawling, or creeping. These sensations less commonly affect the arms, and rarely the chest or head. Although the sensations can occur on just one side of the body, they most often affect both sides. They can also alternate between sides. The sensations range in severity from uncomfortable to irritating to painful.

Because moving the legs (or other affected parts of the body) relieves the discomfort, people with RLS often keep their legs in motion to minimize or prevent the sensations. They may pace the floor, constantly move their legs while sitting, and toss and turn in bed.

A classic feature of RLS is that the symptoms are worse at night with a distinct symptom-free period in the early morning, allowing for more refreshing sleep at that time. Some people with RLS have difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. They may also note a worsening of symptoms if their sleep is further reduced by events or activity.

AnnieT

I bought magnesium spray oil for my husband, it didn't really work for him, but read the reviews on sites ... it has really helped others.

Thanks, @PatJ I think you may have hit the nail on the head with RLS, had a shocking night with insane symptoms which sound very similar as described in the stuff you linked, ended up kicking my legs like I was swimming at various points to get rid of the feeling! Joy, another thing for me to have to deal with.
My lack of movement of late being in lockdown probably doesn't help, we're allowed to leave the house from today having self-isolated so a slow walk around the block is calling - helps that the sun is out :)
I'll do some more reading, see what might help - thanks @AnnieT will look at magnesium spray.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
My lack of movement of late being in lockdown probably doesn't help, we're allowed to leave the house from today having self-isolated so a slow walk around the block is calling - helps that the sun is out :)
I have restless legs, and the problem is worse when I haven't moved much during the day. Even if the reason why I haven't moved is that I've been too tired! I have found that doing some leg exercises before bed can help (and if my legs are keeping me awake I sometimes do them during the night if I think I can get away with it without waking my husband up).

Here are the exercises that seem to work best for me:

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 10.16.03 AM.png

advanced_bilateral_cycling-1.png

Another strategy I have used is that I have brushed my legs with a surgical scrub brush (you sometimes see them marketed as sensory brushes), which somehow seems to give them the stimulation they crave without needing to move.

Last edited:
Seems much better with more activity, I did the legs spinning/swinging exercises above the first night and had much less urge to move. Yesterday went for a walk at about 1700 when I could feel things start to tighten having been in bed most of the afternoon - management seems in order, something else to add to the list, yay.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant