• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Craniosacral therapy Improves Pain, QOL, and Mood in FM

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
My recollection is that Dr. Lapp found that craniosacral therapy was helpful in ME/CFS. He also found that ME/CFS patients tended to have very tense upper bodies and exhibited shallow breathing patterns.

Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 Sep 3. [Epub ahead of print]
Influence of Craniosacral Therapy on Anxiety, Depression and Quality of Life in Patients with Fibromyalgia.

Matarn-Pearrocha GA, Castro-Snchez AM, Garca GC, Moreno-Lorenzo C, Carreo TP, Zafra MD.
Almera, CP 04009, Spain. lemur@correo.ugr.es.

The objective of this study was to analyze the repercussions of craniosacral therapy on depression, anxiety and quality of life in fibromyalgia patients with painful symptoms. An experimental, double-blind longitudinal clinical trial design was undertaken. Eighty-four patients diagnosed with fibromyalgia were randomly assigned to an intervention group (craniosacral therapy) or placebo group (simulated treatment with disconnected ultrasound). The treatment period was 25 weeks.

Everything improved; pain, sleep, quality of life, anxiety in the FM patients undergoing craniosacral therapy

Anxiety, pain, sleep quality, depression and quality of life were determined at baseline and at 10 min, 6 months and 1-year post-treatment. State anxiety and trait anxiety, pain, quality of life and Pittsburgh sleep quality index were significantly higher in the intervention versus placebo group after the treatment period and at the 6-month follow-up.

Once the treatment stopped, though, many of the improvements disappeared - the treatment is hitting the symptoms but not obviously the cause. Gotta keep doing this treatment for it to continue working

However, at the 1-year follow-up, the groups only differed in the Pittsburgh sleep quality index. Approaching fibromyalgia by means of craniosacral therapy contributes to improving anxiety and quality of life levels in these patients.

klutzo

Cst

Hi Cort,
I had 3 sessions of cranial-sacral therapy just for general Fibro pain and it had an interesting side-effect. It cured my long-standing TMJ. I threw out my annoying night splint and have not had even a hint of TMJ since then, and that was over a decade ago. There was no need for follow up sessions.

klutzo