• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coxsackie B4 - kill ‘em all

junkcrap50

Not really. I take Tenofovir. But I’ll try IFN III in a few months and the report back!
Did you try it? How did the INF lamba trials go? With you and with the many others? (I'm out of the discord when it kicked everyone out and invites to rejoin aren't open.)

Some of us are soon going to be testing the broad-spectrum enterovirus antiviral ethyl 3-hydroxyhexanoate (EHX) which works for coxsackievirus B. See this post.

EHX is the most interesting enterovirus antiviral I have come across in a long time.
How did the EHX go? And what was the general experience findings among the others?

Hip

How did the EHX go? And what was the general experience findings among the others?

In my own case, I had to halt all new ME/CFS treatment experiments, due to worsened ME/CFS and worsened mental health after catching COVID last year. I don't want to risk taking anything new that might make these symptoms worse, especially the mental symptoms.

But I am looking to start on EHX shortly.

EHX is a volatile organic compound that is found in fruit.

One person started EHX, but he found oral EHX upset his digestion, so stopped. However, EHX (which is liquid at room temperature) can easily be applied to the skin to avoid this issue.

I actually did a one-off test of transdermal EHX, applying 5 pipette drops (about 20 mg of EHX per drop) to my skin, and rubbing it in. I did this two days in a row, and did not notice anything amiss.

The amazing thing about EHX is that it binds very tightly to viral RdRp protein, deactivating these proteins, and preventing viral replication (RdRp is the key protein in RNA virus replication). And the study found EHX remains attached to these proteins up to 48 hours later.

So EHX remains bound to RdRp prevents viral replication for much longer than its short plasma half life, which EHX suggests it could have potent antiviral effects against enterovirus.

EHX appears to have broad spectrum antiviral effects for enteroviruses, and table 1 of the study indicates it may work for COVID too.

More significantly, the study showed EHX inhibits enterovirus replicons, which are more or less the same as the non-cytolytic enteroviruses that are found in ME/CFS patients. So we know that EHX specifically targets the enterovirus infections associated with ME/CFS.

Last edited:

junkcrap50

In my own case, I had to halt all new ME/CFS treatment experiments, due to worsened ME/CFS and worsened mental health after catching COVID last year. I don't want to risk taking anything new that might make these symptoms worse, especially the mental symptoms.

But I am looking to start on EHX shortly.
Interestingly my mental health was significantly worse after COVID too - pretty much gave up. I didn't put the two together until you just mentioned it. But yeah, lasted a while, might still be affecting me. ME/CFS overall seemly unaffected though (except mental health portion of ME/CFS).

One person started EHX, but he found oral EHX upset his digestion, so stopped. However, EHX (which is liquid at room temperature) can easily be applied to the skin to avoid this issue.
Might the GI discomfort indicate any effect of the EHX on any enterovirus reservoirs in the gut? (I can understand stopping of course).

Hip

Might the GI discomfort indicate any effect of the EHX on any enterovirus reservoirs in the gut?

I am not sure, but my guess is not, as EHX just binds to viral RdRp protein in the cell, and stops the virus from replicating. It's not like an antibiotic that can kill bacteria and cause a Herx.

@Rim1 is the ME/CFS patient who got these gut side effects from EHX.

Last edited: