• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid Vaccine Side Effects: Panic Attacks?

2Cor.12:19

Hi folks. I could really use some encouragement. I’m scheduled for my first Moderna shot tomorrow. I haven’t had a vaccine in 22 years due to an extreme reaction immediately following getting the combo flu and pneumonia shots. It wasn’t an anaphylactic reaction but it triggered severe panic attacks landing me in the ER and effecting my autonomic nervous system. It triggered full blown panic disorder.

There have been discussions on Reddit amongst healthy (non ME) people who have experienced similar responses to the COVID vaccine. However, most seem to be recovering from it.

I’m really nervous about this happening again, which is dumb because anxiety feeds on itself.

Did any of you experience panic attacks/ extreme anxiety as a result of the vaccine? I’m not referring to natural anxiety over it, but rather panic attacks that were a result of the immune system response to the vaccine. Hope this makes sense.

If so, did it eventually pass with the other symptoms?
Thank you.

UPDATE: I had my first dose of Moderna day before yesterday. The shot went off without a hitch 😃. No panic attacks and hardly any side effects. I woke up the first night feeling fluish - but wasn’t sure if it was the shot or PEM from all the excitement. Looking back I’m sure it as a mild reaction to the shot. Went back to sleep and woke up feeling better than I did before the shot. Go figure! Lol. Thank you for all your support! We will all get through this.

Note to self next time: “Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself” - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited:

Booble

Hi there --- I don't have any answers but am here to commiserate. I fully expect to panic (hopefully unnecessarily) after my shot! My system is always on full alert and add that to whatever is in those friendly shots that makes the body feel a little different is a recipe for panic. But, it will pass.

@Booble - You sound like me - Thank you for reminding me it will pass. I need to remind myself that I’ve learned a lot about dealing with some pretty knarly panic attacks since then. And this time I’ll have my trusty Xanax on hand . Lol
Holding a good thought for you too! Please let me know how you do.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
And this time I’ll have my trusty Xanax on hand
I was just about to ask if there was something you could take in order to take the edge off! It might also help to let the people who are giving you the shot and observing you afterward that this is something that happened in the past, so if it does happen again they aren't surprised and will hopefully treat you with compassion.

Are there any other strategies you might try to help your body stay relaxed? Popping in earbuds and listening to relaxing music? Having some breathing exercises handy (that's usually what I do)? Bringing a stuffed animal (if it's a small one you can hide it in your purse and nobody would be the wiser)? Bringing a piece of chocolate to eat immediately afterward as a reward? I feel like someone should do a study to determine if it's even possible to panic while eating chocolate. At the very least, I feel like chocolate greatly reduces that risk.

I wish you the best of luck today, and in the coming days. I'll definitely be thinking of you.

I was just about to ask if there was something you could take in order to take the edge off! It might also help to let the people who are giving you the shot and observing you afterward that this is something that happened in the past, so if it does happen again they aren't surprised and will hopefully treat you with compassion.

Are there any other strategies you might try to help your body stay relaxed? Popping in earbuds and listening to relaxing music? Having some breathing exercises handy (that's usually what I do)? Bringing a stuffed animal (if it's a small one you can hide it in your purse and nobody would be the wiser)? Bringing a piece of chocolate to eat immediately afterward as a reward? I feel like someone should do a study to determine if it's even possible to panic while eating chocolate. At the very least, I feel like chocolate greatly reduces that risk.

I wish you the best of luck today, and in the coming days. I'll definitely be thinking of you.
@Rebeccare Aww.. you’re so sweet. Thank you. You have helped to remind me to dig out some of my old tools from my toolbox. Those vaccines, I’m sure, we’re only the trigger for several underlying conditions that had yet to be diagnosed (thyroid, sleep apnea). But they set into motion an ongoing struggle with full blown panic disorder. I’ve done so much better in recent years that I’d forgotten some of the techniques I used.
I love the the chocolate idea! LOL!! That’s just brilliant!! ❤️

Booble

I'm so happy for you, Vaccine Buddy!!
Glad it was a lovely experience so far.

I've heard of some of the public health folks who have been working night and day on COVID tear-up and cry when they get their vaccine. They realize that this might at last be the start of the end.

Wishing you endless good vibes as your body creates those super antibodies to this beast!

I'm so happy for you, Vaccine Buddy!!
Glad it was a lovely experience so far.

I've heard of some of the public health folks who have been working night and day on COVID tear-up and cry when they get their vaccine. They realize that this might at last be the start of the end.

Wishing you endless good vibes as your body creates those super antibodies to this beast!
Thank you 😊 Please let me know when you get yours. I know You’ll do fine!

Gingergrrl

@Booble It went great! Didn’t need any Xanax and No panic attacks so far. 😆 Thanks for asking. ❤️. It was at a local park - loved watching our national guard and FEMA folks at work. Nice distraction. Side effects will probably set in tomorrow. I’ll update.

This is GREAT news and I was thinking about you today @2Cor.12:19! Do you know if you got Pfizer or Moderna? (I'm sorry if you said and I missed it).

This is GREAT news and I was thinking about you today @2Cor.12:19! Do you know if you got Pfizer or Moderna? (I'm sorry if you said and I missed it).

Thank you @Gingergrrl . It was Moderna. It’s been almost 18 hrs and so far no extra symptoms to speak of except a mildly sore arm. But it’s hard to say since I always feel lousy anyway. Lol. We’ll see how the day progresses.