• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid vaccine. Anyone not having it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiredBill

Yes, I was specifically comparing to 'last year at this time' as was stated. I was not 'skewing' anything but answering your request for how that news story could be true. There's also some seasonality, so comparing to the previous year isn't unreasonable. September 2020, was also not a trough. The trough was in June 2020 at 20k cases per day and 500 deaths. The real spike started in November 2020 - I hope we don't see a worsening in 2021 as we head into flu season.

And yes, if we compare the end of the summer 2021 to the height of the holiday travel season pre-vaccine, it shows lower numbers. I'm not sure what that proves, other than that we are only a bit over half our peak infection rate. Which no one was claiming we were higher than our worst ever peak?

Yes, this is true. More vaccination and masking would put us in a 'better' position, but there's no evidence it would eliminate risk or eradicate a global virus, just reduce that risk significantly. Same with other interventions - less events, no in-person schools, more social distancing. All things that would put us in a better position.

By the use of the term "skewing" I did not mean to suggest bad intent. Comparisons with a year ago are one measure of infection rates. We are down from the high of approx. 250,000 pre-vaccines per day despite the new challenges posed by the highly contagious Delta variant combined with anti-mask/anti-vax behaviors. Which to my mind is a far more significant metric.

Pre-Delta the vaccine effectiveness gave many hope that we could return to a sense of normalcy. Those hopes have largely been dashed. It would be a very different state of affairs if we'd been able to maintain the low rates of infections that followed the initial phase of vaccinations. too many human being have made choices that have fueled the spread--unfortunately. We don't need to make perfect the enemy of the good. I'd settle for good. Instead we are dealing with a catastrophe.

Bill

Wayne

Same with other interventions - less events, no in-person schools, more social distancing. All things that would put us in a better position.

There's sooooo much else that could be done, but isn't. Instead of focusing almost exclusively on vaccines and masks, I believe a lot could be accomplished by focusing on HEPA filters in all indoor environments, and taking care of ourselves by keeping our nutritional status optimal. Especially with nutrients like Vit. D, Vit. C, and zinc that have been shown to have a HUGE influence on how well a person handles a COVID infection.

And then there's the wide array of treatments that are currently being successfully used by Naturopathic Doctors that get no coverage at all from mainstream media, and hardly acknowledged, or given anything but scorn from mainstream medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:

TiredBill

There's sooooo much else that could be done, but isn't. Instead of focusing exclusively on vaccines and masks, I believe a lot could be accomplished by focusing on HEPA filters in all indoor environments, and taking care of ourselves by keeping our nutritional status optimal. Especially with nutrients like Vit. D, Vit. C, and zinc that have been shown to have a HUGE influence on how well a person handles a COVID infection.

And then there's the wide array of treatments that are currently being successfully used by Naturopathic Doctors that get no coverage at all from mainstream media, and hardly acknowledged, or given anything but scorn from mainstream medicine.

I agree with the idea that better air circulation and the use of filters (including HEPA filters) is looking more and more valuable as a means to slow transmission.

Being well nourished and having optimal levels of vitamins certainly isn't going to do a person any harm and may mitigate against the worst. Don't think I'd want to rely on Vitamin D and Zinc as things that are reliably going to protect against hospitalization and death. That's a job for vaccines.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

Being well nourished and having optimal levels of vitamins certainly isn't going to do a person any harm and may mitigate against the worst.

"may"mitigate? From my reading, there's overwhelming evidence it DOES mitigate against the worst. If people were informed of this by the so called "medical experts" and the mainstream media, there would be much less of a narrative about having to rely almost exclusively on vaccines and masks to address the pandemic. It's really quite short-sighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.