• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

COVID- stroke-like symptoms (no cough etc.) -MRI showed brain inflammation, treated with steroids, plasma exchange

Mary

Moderator Resource
This article is a bit chilling. The woman never had typical COVID symptoms, her chest ached a little but cleared up. But then she had stroke-like symptoms, was rushed to the hospital and an MRI showed brain inflammation - this was fascinating, I didn't know an MRI could show this. The article has 6 pictures of her brain and the inflammation is very clear to see - I wonder if MRIs would show the brain inflammation which is supposed to be present in ME/CFS?

Anyways - this is very interesting, and scary - another horrible way COVID can mainfest: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...al-symptoms/ar-BB1762ZX?ocid=msedgdhp#image=2

xebex

when I was at my worst, with my most major symptoms of brain inflammation - ie brain fog, headaches, eyes pain, aphasia, sound sensitivity, irritability, etc etc i had an MRI and they found nothing. I'm not really sure what that means especially as Jared Younger has done some studies that show lots of brain inflammation.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
Last edited:

andyguitar

I'm not really sure what that means especially as Jared Younger has done some studies that show lots of brain inflammation.
Fairly sure he used something more sensitive than a standard MRI.
This article is a bit chilling. The woman never had typical COVID symptoms,
It's an odd story and I wonder if the presence of covid is a coincidence.

andyguitar

There is a large hole in the research paper and I wonder if anyone else will spot it. It says she developed the weakness "7 days after suffering mild respiritory symptoms due to Covid" but then it says she was tested (by nasal swab) in the hospital. So she tested positive after she had the suspected stroke. So saying she had Covid 7 days before that is just speculation.

Mary

Moderator Resource
So she tested positive after she had the suspected stroke. So saying she had Covid 7 days before that is just speculation.
Well, you're right. She could have come down with COVID after she had the mild respiratory symptoms. There's no way to tell for sure, though I think it's most likely that she did have COVID when she had the respiratory symptoms. And then the brain inflammation took awhile to develop I would guess.

But to me it's not important whether or not she had COVID when she first had mild respiratory symptoms - what I found chilling and fascinating is that COVID caused stroke-like symptoms. Who would suspect COVID if your arm suddenly goes numb and you start having neurological symptoms? This illness is just bizarre and scary!

godlovesatrier

God if this isn't just as bad as ME with multiple people showing different outcomes and severity I don't know what it is. I'm following two accounts on twitter, one man is basically coming to the conclusion has has full blown severe ME

1595600312582.png

Another patient appears to be able to tolerate exercise one week then crash the next, or over 48 hours later. Which is really weird, but if he's mild then he could be suffering the same. He just posted on twitter saying his mri scan amongst another 4 scans, all came back ok without anything on them. This perfectly matches ME, unless you get the CPET that was done which shows inflamation, you're not going to see anything.

Both users are 3 to 4 months in.

1595600628954.png

Last edited: