• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid Booster & Flu Shot Tommorrow

RyeRyeBread

I'm getting the booster and a flu shot tomorrow.
I'm only 6 months into being sick (ME + POTS), and have yet to have any vaccinations - so i don't know if I'm going to have any reactions.
A little concerning, but I rather not get Covid, so, we shall see.

I would say I have moderate ME, though it tends to stay on what I'd call the "mild side of moderate". I'm mostly housebound and unable to currently work, but I have recently started using a manual wheelchair and with that I can go out (with mild crashes afterwards :[ ).

I've heard talk on here of really bad reactions to both the covid vaccines and flu, so I'm interested to see what reactions I (at mild-moderate level) have vs severe ME.

Will update 😊

RyeRyeBread

Good luck, RyeRye!
Glad you are doing what you can to protect yourself. Hope your vaccine side effects are mild and short lived.

Thank you! Me too haha, I will admit it is a little daunting knowing others have had reactions worse than typical. I had the first two vaccines prior to getting sick, so this will be a first experience. Hoping I have the typical stuff - chills, aches, feverish - like I did before.

Booble

Let us know how it goes and how you are doing afterwards.

I was pretty terrified about getting vaccinated but luckily had mild effects for both shot 1 and 2. (Pfizer.)

L'engle

moogle
I would be cautious about getting both at once, for my own case. I've never had a flu shot but I did feel sick for a few days after getting the second covid shot. i also have moderate ME.

I hope you do ok! Good on you getting to it.

Booble

I would be cautious about getting both at once, for my own case. I've never had a flu shot but I did feel sick for a few days after getting the second covid shot. i also have moderate ME.

I hope you do ok! Good on you getting to it.

I had a friend on social media that did THREE -- booster, flu and one other vaccine all at the same time!

RyeRyeBread

5 hours later, and i am alive and well! 😊

My arm is expectedly sore, and I was hit with a big wave of exhaustion 40mins or so after the actually vaccinations - but other than that, all is well 😁
No telling if the exhaustion was ME by itself, or the vaccines, but it isn't concerning enough for me to spend energy trying to figure that out lol

I highly recommend you all the get vaccinated if you can, let's kick covid's ass pls ❤

*Will update if anything else of significance occurs

seamyb

I had a terrible reaction to my first covid shot. It was like a flu but worse than any I've ever had. Then 2nd was ok and had 3rd one today. Thought I was getting sick at one point today but it passed, thankfully.

Even after that brutal 1st shot, I was straight in line for the next ones. I'm very pro-vaxx... or rather, anti-antivaxx. But I understand people with ME feeling anxious about them. People with ME react badly to vitamins. However, on the whole, I'd recommend it to everyone here also. Covid is worse.

RyeRyeBread

Update:

I am still alive and well, as well as ME goes.

Just wanted to update that last night, after falling asleep, I was woken up many times feeling absolutely miserable. I had the same symptoms I had after my 2nd shot before I got sick (feverish, chills+freezing, arm really fricken sore), but they seemed to me a little ramped up compared to last time. I also had full body aches along with all that, which I've heard can be a normal symptom, but I feel it's worth noting that i didn't experience this the first 2 times.

After waking up, I still feel a little warm, but fever and chills have gone. A little achy, but back to normal levels, and I'm definitely lightheaded/brain foggy a tad, but there's not saying what is causing that (I have POTS as well).

Overall, I am alive, and I feel that I will be good by the Holidays 🎄

RyeRyeBread

Even after that brutal 1st shot, I was straight in line for the next ones. I'm very pro-vaxx... or rather, anti-antivaxx. But I understand people with ME feeling anxious about them. People with ME react badly to vitamins. However, on the whole, I'd recommend it to everyone here also. Covid is worse.

Thank you for sharing your experience 😊

I wholeheartedly agree 👍

BrightCandle

I had my booster yesterday and my arm hurts and I am a bit more exhausted than usual, but then I walked over a mile and stood in a queue for 30 minutes before a dude stabbed me in the arm and the walk out was dreadful it was like running a marathon as was the trip back. But I am actually not crashed, no headache or general suicidal thoughts which is the usual sign of a bad crash. The vaccine is a nothing burger compared to the cost to my body of going to get the blasted thing, but then Covid really did a number on my body I'll take whatever weapons they can give me to fight that little bugger off.

hmnr asg

I just got my moderna booster and flu shot a few hours ago.
Feel like death already and super dizzy and cant even stand straight. I would say this sucks but im in bed almost all day long anyways, so ... back to bed.

RyeRyeBread

Update:

Today was miserable lmao
I was, in fact, incorrect when I assumed the majority of my symptoms had gone this morning.

All day long I felt incredibly exhausted, horribly achy, feverish with alternating burning and chills. I took multiple, horribly unrefreshing naps today (but that's not really new lol). Like a walking crash, but not my typical. I only checked my temperature later in the day (100.7, lowgrade which is my normal in a crash), but I bet I had it all day judging by the way I felt.

My second shot resulted in lesser symptoms that only lasted the day of and the night after, so I'm going to assume - because of how bad it is this time around, and that its lasted 2(+) days instead of 1 - that my reaction/symptoms are worse now after the onset of [and because of] my ME+POTS. My theory is that the vaccine(s) may have somehow caused my body to crash, and/or, my immune system freaked out excessively. Either way - very much not fun.

Still no regrets, and now after hours and hours of pain and advil i believe my symptoms are finally dying down.

Just wanted to update in case anyone has similar reactions and is a little intimidated by the pure misery mixture of symptoms. It will most likely pass 👍 Good on you for getting vaccinated. You got this! 👏

*will update if I continue to suffer tomorrow 😅

RyeRyeBread

Feel like death already and super dizzy and cant even stand straight. I would say this sucks but im in bed almost all day long anyways, so ... back to bed.
Feeling like death is definitely how I would describe how I've felt yesterday and today 😂
I was also dizzy, and lightheaded + felt out of it within 30 or so minutes after the shot.
I hope you find some relief soon!

BrightCandle

I feel pretty terrible today, lightheaded and dizzy with a faint headache with eye ache, so it is sort of like a crash but also not normal for me so putting it down to the booster which is still hurting my arm and making me warm. At least the immune system still works and I can feel worse when it thinks I am infected!

RyeRyeBread

I feel pretty terrible today, lightheaded and dizzy with a faint headache with eye ache, so it is sort of like a crash but also not normal for me so putting it down to the booster which is still hurting my arm and making me warm. At least the immune system still works and I can feel worse when it thinks I am infected!
Always a positive!! 😂😅

RyeRyeBread

Final (?) Update:

Today is 2(?) days after the vaccines, and I am much better.

Last night was not great, I was still warm and a bit feverish, and very cold, but no physical chills and less aches. Woke up this morning and although i feel slightly warmer than usual, all the other stuff is gone! 🙏

My arm is still sore, as to be expected. I've also noticed that instead of the top of my arm, like last time, this time ny underarm/lymph nodes are very tender both to touch and movement. That did not happen with the other 2 shots [prior to me being sick], so I find that bit interesting.

I belief, aside from the arm, that all will be well from here on out. Anyone else on here going through vaccine stuff, feel free to comment and add your experiences. Again, will update if my arm falls off lol😊

hmnr asg

So I ended up in the hospital after the COVID vaccine. Not sure if this is related or not. The same day after the vaccine I noticed they I can't empty my bladder. I had to go to the bathroom several times to empty my bladder. Today I woke up with very severe pain in my lower abdomen and had a hard time urinating, it hurt and I could only empty a little at a time.

Decided to go to urgent care where they did urine test and also did an ultrasound of my bladder. The doctor said the urine is clear ( no infection) but the bladder seems to be very full even though they told me to empty it before the test. He gave me a rectal exam that was inconclusive and gave me flomax and and a referral to urology and told me to go to ER if my urine stops.

I have no idea what this is. They should have given me a PSA test but didn't. Very worried about prostate cancer.

Could this be a complication of the booster ?
Thank you all !