• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could you have Hughes Syndrome?

Countrygirl

I am popping this article here for people to read as it may be relevant to you if you have ME.

https://www.the-rheumatologist.org/article/aps-what-rheumatologists-know-about-hughes-syndrome/

Years ago, I think it was highlighted on the ME Association's website as being of relevance to those with a diagnosis of ME.

It concerns what is now called Hughes Syndrome or 'sticky blood'.

Let me just tell you my story.

When I was 15 I took myself off to my GP. Something odd seemed to be growing across my rib cage. To me, it looked like a number of wiggle pipe cleaners appearing under my skin.

My GP told me that I had developed superficial blood clots, but they weren't of significance.

Sure enough, eventually they burst, leaving me with a rib cage of various attractive hues of blue. Not a problem.

Just to add too, for a few years as a youngster I had migraines: the full works, a hammering headache and full dancing flashing lights. After a few years they disappeared. This is part of Hughes Syndrome.

Then came student days. I had very painful periods and so the doctor put me on the pill for a few months so that my last six months of study and sitting Finals would not be interrupted by the dreaded pain and vomiting. Finals over, I stopped the pill, so I was only taking it for a few months. However, I then developed numerous superficial blood clots everywhere. I took no notice. They weren't dangerous in themselves of course and so I never reported them. Meanwhile, I had developed ME from a severe infection as a student which became severe in 1982. Blood clots kept forming. I took no notice. Now I have had a full stroke and a couple of TIAs. I have a strong family history of early deaths from 30s onwards of strokes and sudden heart attacks. Few have lived past 51. An uncle made it to 61 before being found dead in his office.

Then phlebitis became a problem which was caused by the damage caused by the thromboses.

Then along came episodes of very severe memory loss so if I was only yards from my home I could not find my way home. I put this down to ME. This still occurs.

Then someone with ME sent me a leaflet on Hughes Syndrome. It often, but not always, starts, the leaflet said with blocked blood vessels across the rib cage. Dead on!

It accompanies early migraine. It also causes abrupt severe temporary memory loss.

Migraine is associated with strokes but the reason is its association with Hughes Syndrome.

A number of symptoms we put down to ME or Fibro can be Hughes Syndrome which is a likely comorbidity of both anyway.

It is found in people with family members or ancestors with an autoimmune condition such as RA or thyroid problems, MS or other autoimmune conditions.

It can be responsible for repeated miscarriages.

It can cause ME-associated problems like Syndrome X (angina pain.)

It causes cellular hypoxia as the blood cells don't flow through the tiny capillaries well.

The treatment is aspirin or other anticoagulants.

There is a lot more to it, of course, and reading the above link will tell you more. It just might be relevant to you.

Moof

Thank you for this information. I've long wondered about whether family members had this: my aunt only had two live babies from twelve pregnancies, and her mother – my Nan – had two miscarriages, recurrent phlebitis, and angina. Many of us, me included, have livedo. I've had none of the other most common symptoms except those that occur in ME (though I've never tried to get pregnant), but I suspect that some of my rellies may have had it.

I even wondered about it when you were posting about your awful experiences with malignant hypertension, but as I was too unwell to think clearly, I decided not to mention it! :bang-head:

Countrygirl

Thank you for this information. I've long wondered about whether family members had this: my aunt only had two live babies from twelve pregnancies, and her mother – my Nan – had two miscarriages, recurrent phlebitis, and angina. Many of us, me included, have livedo. I've had none of the other most common symptoms except those that occur in ME (though I've never tried to get pregnant), but I suspect that some of my rellies may have had it.

I even wondered about it when you were posting about your awful experiences with malignant hypertension, but as I was too unwell to think clearly, I decided not to mention it! :bang-head:

I am sorry you have been so unwell, @Moof . I hope you are at least feeling a bit more human.

Yes, I found it interesting and have been meaning to follow it up for some years after I saw it flagged up on the MEA site. It certainly sounds as if your family had it by your description. How awful to have lost 10 babies!

Didn't Queen Anne lose 16 or thereabouts? Perhaps porphyria isn't the only malady the Royals suffer from.

It had no name when I was diagnosed back in the 60s but it does fit and my family died young of strokes and heart attacks from their late 30s to 60. An immediate ancestor has RA as a cause of death, and as it is related to Lupus, I think it is more than likely that this is a probable diagnosis and may be the cause of the malignant hypertension. The GPs won't know anything about it though, which is a hurdle to overcome.

I am tempted to take aspirin but it can cause more bleeding with a stroke, so not sure what to do. I will ask Dr WW when he comes down if I get a chance.

Moof

Didn't Queen Anne lose 16 or thereabouts?

I think it was 16 or 17, something like that. The good news is that, although my aunt had an awful time with miscarriages and one full-term stillbirth, her two daughters both had several children without complications. If it was APS, it appears they didn't inherit it.

It had no name when I was diagnosed back in the 60s but it does fit and my family died young of strokes and heart attacks from their late 30s to 60.

This slightly makes me question it in our family, as that isn't the case – my Nan died a few months short of her 90th birthday (it was a stroke, but that's hardly uncommon in people her age), and my aunt is still going strong in her 80s. It must be a worrying legacy for you.

I am tempted to take aspirin but it can cause more bleeding with a stroke, so not sure what to do.

You should be managed by the haematology team, as they know the risks and benefits of various medications and can monitor you properly. If your GP won't refer you, despite having a diagnosis already, you should definitely complain! I would have thought that management of the APS would be a rock-solid reason for getting a referral to a team that understands how to manage malignant hypertension and mitigate stroke risk.

andyguitar

Interesting post @Countrygirl what could be described as 'sticky blood' seems to come up often. For what it's worth my conclusion a while back was that there is something wrong with the blood and brain in sufferers and the connection is an abnormality with Serotonin levels and its breakdown.