• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cost of goods imported to Australia going up - including supplements

lafarfelue

Thought this important enough to post about, considering how many of us import supplements to reduce the often overwhelming cost of managing our illnesses.

Starting July 1, 2018 the 10% goods and services tax (GST) will be applied to all imported goods to Australia.

It's a bummer. I can imagine that for some this will mean the difference between being able to take certain supplements and not being able to afford them at all.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
How are they going to be able to collect the gst? Open every parcel? Charge the company or the purchaser? Get iherb to put a receipt in your order for $5 instead of the real price? So many holes in trying to collect gst. Mobile phone cover from china for $1.50, its going to cost them more to process stuff to get their 15cent gst.

pamojja

How are they going to be able to collect the gst?

In my country they do inspect it on the arriving airport, charge a €10,- handling fee for each, and then add either 10 or 20% import tax (to be paid at handover from postal-service). Because iherb limits shipment to my country to $100, having to pay each time at least 20% on top is annoying. Though because the parcels are very small, some to regularly go through without being inspected or charged. First was very upset by so much arbitrarilyness, when I found EU-wide the import tax alone would actually be above 20% I'm glad they still haven't caught up yet ;).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
In my country they do inspect it on the arriving airport, charge a €10,- handling fee for each, and then add either 10 or 20% import tax (to be paid at handover from postal-service). Because iherb limits shipment to my country to $100, having to pay each time at least 20% on top is annoying. Though because the parcels are very small, some to regularly go through without being inspected or charged. First was very upset by so much arbitrarilyness, when I found EU-wide the import tax alone would actually be above 20% I'm glad they still haven't caught up yet ;).

Handling fee, they know how to sting you.