• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cortisone shock therapy

Martin aka paused||M.E.

My theory is that generalized anxiety disorder can be caused by brain inflammation, and I was able to treat my anxiety by taking supplements which reduce brain inflammation. Those supplement are listed in this post.

I would say a good brain inflammation-reducing cocktail might be:
  • N-acetyl-glucosamine 700 mg twice daily
  • Turmeric 1000 mg twice daily — note that you want turmeric, NOT curcumin (though you can also add curcumin if you like, as that too is anti-inflammatory)
  • Flaxseed oil 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of this oil daily
  • Saccharomyces boulardii yeast probiotic 3 capsules daily
What do you mean by —„too anti-inflammatory”?
Thanks Hip!

pattismith

So the treatment was a success bc I found out that brain inflammation indeed drives half of my symptoms (brain fog, flu-like feeling, sensitivity, headaches...).
Now that the therapy is over, the symptoms come back. So I need an anti-inflammatory diet (impossible bc I have a tube and can't find anything adequate) and maybe herbs that cross the brain-blood barrier. Curcumin is the only thing I have, wanna take fish oil, add MCT oil to my diet to higher the ratio of omega 3 to 6 (to approx 20:1)....
I will furthermore try to find a German lab that tests for infections in the tissues (have still a muscle frozen in a University Hospital but they can’t do it)
any other ideas?
Thank you so much!
Dear Martin, I am glad you learn something from your trial!
Heavy dose cortisone is not given for anti-inflammatory purpose, it is given to lower immune system and stop auto-immunity.
My questions are:

-did your doc investigated your autonomic nervous system?
(did you have some testing for POTS, OI, small fiber neuropathy, heart rate variability, etc)

-did your doc find some auto-antibodies in your blood or in your brain fluid that could indicate an auto-immune disorder at play?

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Yes I was completely checked in three hospitals.... I definitely have no auto-immune disease besides psoriasis. No antibodies found for anything that came to their minds (in three weeks for each hospital)

It also lowers inflammation. I mean high doses of cortisone.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Haven't been checked for small fibre neuropathy but I don't have any pain and why the weakness and that I can't use my tablet without lorazepam or have visits

pattismith

I was ready to do my own trial with methylprednisolone. I took 500 mg oral because couldn't do the injections, so the real dose absorbed was more likely 300 mg.
I got two amazing days, with no pain and no brain fog!
After a few break days, I did a second pulsed dose this morning, which seems to work as well.

Haven't been checked for small fibre neuropathy but I don't have any pain and why the weakness and that I can't use my tablet without lorazepam or have visits
Martin, you said that the flu like feeling was gone after the trial:
how do you describe the flu feeling if there is no pain in it?
Also, if autonomic small fibers are affected, you don't necessary have associated pain.
Wrinkle fingers in hot water is an easy way to test your autonomic system at home.
My finger test shows no wrinkle at up to 30 mn which means that my sympathetic system fails to make the vasoconstriction that should occur in normal fingers.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I was ready to do my own trial with methylprednisolone. I took 500 mg oral because couldn't do the injections, so the real dose absorbed was more likely 300 mg.
I got two amazing days, with no pain and no brain fog!
After a few break days, I did a second pulsed dose this morning, which seems to work as well.

Martin, you said that the flu like feeling was gone after the trial:
how do you describe the flu feeling if there is no pain in it?
Also, if autonomic small fibers are affected, you don't necessary have associated pain.
Wrinkle fingers in hot water is an easy way to test your autonomic system at home.
My finger test shows no wrinkle at up to 30 mn which means that my sympathetic system fails to make the vasoconstriction that should occur in normal fingers.
As feeling very ill. Don't know how to describe the feeling Of being ill. My hands are in terrible shape due to the year in total darkness, so I think I have so many wrinkles that this test won't work. How do docs test it? Biopsy???

Last edited:

pattismith

As feeling very ill. Don't know how to describe the feeling Of being ill. My hands are in terrible shape due to the year in total darkness, so I think I have so many wrinkles that this test won't work. How do docs test it? Biopsy???
Lot's of people here in PR have wrinkles before doing the test, which probably correlates with poor hydratation.
It's easy to do the test at home in your bed, you just have to put one hand immersed in a tempex bucket filled with water at 40°C.
Then you take you hand out every 10 mn and watch what happen at 10 mn/20mn and 30 mn for example.

If you have normal test the wrinkles will increase on the tip of the fingers between 10 and 20 mn.
If the wrinkles are not there even at 30 mn, it shows you have something wrong in your autonomic nervous system.

if someone can help you and take pictures of your 4 fingers, post it on PR so we can help you to see if you have typical wrinkles.
I posted a thread about the test where you can contribute too if you wish:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...before-tilt-table-testing.77607/#post-2228974

my husband pruney fingers, and mine below at 30 min

img_1376-jpg.34559

img_1378-jpg.34560

Attachments

• 1581662752218.png
    1581662752218.png
    330.3 KB · Views: 9

pattismith

Did you try Inosine/Inositol with your cortisone trial?
I added Valacyclovir to prevent my herpesvirus to show up while taking high dose methylprednisolone, and today I added inosine/inositol for their antiviral/neuroprotection properties, and i really feel great today!
My energy is high, my brain is clear today, I don't remember if I was once so well. Let's see what will happen next...

So. No further tests needed; no small fibre neuropathy

you are right, you don't need any skin biopsy for now.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

@pattismith: first I’m very happy to hear that my experiment also works for you. But as you know you have to keep down inflammation with herbs that are strong enough not to make your methylpredisolon laugh.....

No because I will have a second round ASAP where I get a stomach biopsy to test for enteroviruses ... I'm also positive for HH6/and 7. Hello Dr prusty.
Has anyone an idea what else to test with a piece of my stomach tissue. EBV? My doc purposes to make a PCR for B. Burgdorfi but I’m not so sure if burgdorfi chills in the stomach ... what do you think. Parasites? @Hip

Martin aka paused||M.E.

@pattismith because we discussed on it two years earlier: my psoriasis is back and I'm overall feeling much better since having my oxidative stress under control. But some of the herbs I take against antivirals boost the immune system, which is quite a taboo for autoimmune patients. Here comes my question: Could it mean I shift from T2 to T1 now? Didn't you have a study on that?
Thank you
Martin DH

pattismith

I'm so glad you feel better Martin, even if it's at the cost of your psoriasis return….
I should investigate this Th1/Th2 shift, but I feel really too bad at the moment...Since I had to stop methylprednisolone, my symptoms are coming back, and I'm not sure when I will be able to start again...
kisses, take care

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I'm so glad you feel better Martin, even if it's at the cost of your psoriasis return….
I should investigate this Th1/Th2 shift, but I feel really too bad at the moment...Since I had to stop methylprednisolone, my symptoms are coming back, and I'm not sure when I will be able to start again...
kisses, take care

Don't overdo there's now hurry. Do you have IG? I have a paper on the things that help me. Be careful with immunosuppressive drugs these days.
Yes, if I could choose, no question: I would buy a Finca on Ibiza and cure my psoriasis in the Spanish Sun at the beach after having an exhausting work out in the gym :), but I think that won't be THAT easy 🤓

pattismith

Don't overdo there's now hurry. Do you have IG? I have a paper on the things that help me. Be careful with immunosuppressive drugs these days.
Yes, if I could choose, no question: I would buy a Finca on Ibiza and cure my psoriasis in the Spanish Sun at the beach after having an exhausting work out in the gym :), but I think that won't be THAT easy 🤓
:lol: try to get some sun in Germany if you can catch it from the window, but stay safe!

Learner1

@Martin aka paused||M.E. Sorry, I didn't see this til now. Things that are effective for brain swelling for me are high dose curcumin (NOT turmeric) and boswellia, which is used eith glioblastoma patients for brain swelling. Diphenhydramine and ketorolac do, too. And dexamethasone.

You said you have HHV6 and 7 and want to get tested for EBV? It might be helpful to try valganciclovir - my brain cleared within 30 days of being on it (I stayed on it for 20 months.) If you can't access it, then maybe valganciclovir? My doctors prescribed 1.8g valganciclovir or 3g valacyclovir daily.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

@Martin aka paused||M.E. Sorry, I didn't see this til now. Things that are effective for brain swelling for me are high dose curcumin (NOT turmeric) and boswellia, which is used eith glioblastoma patients for brain swelling. Diphenhydramine and ketorolac do, too. And dexamethasone.

You said you have HHV6 and 7 and want to get tested for EBV? It might be helpful to try valganciclovir - my brain cleared within 30 days of being on it (I stayed on it for 20 months.) If you can't access it, then maybe valganciclovir? My doctors prescribed 1.8g valganciclovir or 3g valacyclovir daily.

Hi @Learner1

I already take Micelles Curcumin in high doses with some other anti-inflammatory herbs. Have to try the rest. Valganciclovir, is it dangerous? Because I fed up with all those prescription drugs (I’m the one who tested Copaxone in two different doses last year and got worse two times. Copaxone didn't work at all, but made me much worse with every injection.

Thank you so much!!!