• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus patients with even mild cases of COVID-19 are taking months to recover and suffering extreme fatigue

Murph

:)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/covid-fatigue-one-of-worst-symptons-patients-say/12252602

As a professor of infectious diseases at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Paul Garner is well qualified to talk about disease.

Key points:
  • Many patients who contract COVID-19 are experiencing effects for many weeks
  • Some are complaining of severe fatigue
  • St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney is undertaking a 12-month study into the effects of the virus
He also has COVID-19.

"It's the worst illness I've ever had," he told 7.30.

"I've had dengue. I've had malaria. I've never been as ill as this and it's been really frightening because it's so unpredictable."

He is on day 59 since being diagnosed.

"The disease comes at you when you least expect it," he said.

"You feel quite well and then suddenly in the afternoon it slaps you round the head like a cricket bat.

"The length of the illness completely floored me.

"You just pray every day that it will go away."​
Professor Garner is still dealing with exhaustion.

"It gives you some of the symptoms that are very similar to chronic fatigue but I am hesitant about calling it that," he said.

"If we call it COVID fatigue we know where we are.

"I have sympathy for people with chronic fatigue syndrome now,
and I believe this disease fast-tracks you into experiencing these symptoms."

[note: now! not before when the evidence stacked up!]

anyway, story continues at link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-19/covid-fatigue-one-of-worst-symptons-patients-say/12252602

Murph

:)
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 9.00.25 am.png

Art Vandelay

"I have sympathy for people with chronic fatigue syndrome now, and I believe this disease fast-tracks you into experiencing these symptoms."

It looks like he's had a bit of an education recently. Initially he was very dismissive of suggestions he had post-viral syndrome because he still felt very 'sick' He believed that PVS (and CFS) patients are simply just tired rather than continuing to feel very ill.

Kudos to those CFS patients who helped educate him on twitter.