• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CoQ10: Ubiquinol/ubiquinone?

ebethc

It's individual. I take 100mg of ubiquinol

which brand?

Ubiquinol, ALCAR, NAC, and ALA all do different things to help mitochondria. One may need all of them. Other helpful nutrients are riboflavin and manganese.

If you're responding to ALA and NAC, that may indicate you're dealing with a lot of oxidative stress. As antioxidants work together in a network, you may find you also need C, A, E, or plant based antioxidants like anthracyanins.

I found that upping ALA, A, and E made a significant positive difference in my energy.

y, I always have a lot of oxidative stress, for some reason... I don't usually know why (unless there's a lot of pollution).... If you have low immunity, then can't antioxidants be be harmful? I'm not sure how far to go with them...(So far, I don't have any auto-antibodies, and NK cells are very, very low... I get every cold/flu that goes around, so different from a lot of CFS'ers in that way..)

what form of vitamin A? i like astaxanthin, which, I believe is high in A

does ribose do anything to help mito? i've responded well to that in the past; NADH (to a lesser degree) has a similar effect

Learner1

I take Thorne Q Best and Vitamin A, though Thorne discontinued their vitamin A, do I'll gave to look for another one.

I use NMN or NAD+, haven't responded to ribose or NR. A low NAD/NADH ratio is bad, so I don't take NADH.

I have huge oxidative stress, which creates membrane and DNA damaging lipid peroxides. Not good. I take a balance of all antioxidants. I used to try making glutathione but was still always short, so I take glutathione plus precursors, lots of ALA, and A, C, E and plant based antioxidants and astaxanthin.

My NK cell function was very low which is pretty typical for ME/CFS, I believe.

ebethc

I have huge oxidative stress, which creates membrane and DNA damaging lipid peroxides. Not good. I take a balance of all antioxidants. I used to try making glutathione but was still always short, so I take glutathione plus precursors, lots of ALA, and A, C, E and plant based antioxidants and astaxanthin.

so, reduce oxidative stress, but how to heal/maintain cell membrane integrity?
phospholipids? egg yolks might be good, but I'm not eating eggs to much these days.. Do omegas help? those I can tolerate + afford (my favorite combo :))

My NK cell function was very low which is pretty typical for ME/CFS, I believe.

yes, raising NKs = CFS holy grail

==

if you had to choose between CoQ10/ubiquinol vs ALCAR, which one is better? OR, are they too synergistic for mito improvement to separate?

Learner1

Phosphotidyl choline, serine, inositol and ethanolamine. NT Factor has them in the ratio they occur in mito membranes. Eggs are a great source of choline, which is helpful.

Omega 3s are good for immune and brain function.

CoQ10 supports oxidative phosphorylation and carnitine supports beta oxidation.

ebethc

I do AMAZING on coq10 800mg twice a day. I do 400 twice a day now ( mainly due to cost).

Brand matters ( I use nature’s bounty) I actually do better on coq10 than ubíquinol and when I posted, seems to be the case for Cfs (some do better in the active form) so try both and see what works for you. If you react tot he first one then no need to switch.

do you take it w any co-factors, or can you get by w just the coq10? (too broke to buy anything extra, but if you have to take active B's w CoQ10, then I'll just skip it altogether)

pamojja

what form of vitamin A? i like astaxanthin, which, I believe is high in A

Astaxanthin is a very good antioxidant. However, it doesn't has any vitamin A. Also plant-based Beta-carotene isn't a good substitude of vitamin A. Though it does get converted in the body to active vitamin A, in a large part of the population only at very insufficient rates. I use swanson's vitamin A.

It's individual. I take 100mg of ubiquinol and 10mg MitoQ daily and I always test high normal for CoQ10. Some people need up yo 24g a day.

Hi @Learner1,

I have very recently started taking 100 mg of ubiquinol a day for my fibromyalgia-like symptoms (I have never been formally diagnosed with fibromyalgia; I have moderate ME/CFS).

It is the first time since approximately 2014 I have taken something that reduces the pain I experience from my fibromyalgia-like symptoms! and I am hoping to build upon the success. So I wanted to ask you what MitoQ is and why you take it? Is MitoQ that product that was originally developed in New Zealand?

Thanks very much.