• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper deficiency....?

Freddd

Hi there

I had my copper results back this morning and my levels are 11.6 with the range being 11-20. They also gave me the results of Caeruloplasmin which was 0.19. Range 0.20-0.60.

Does any body know if these results would be causing my symptoms? Or adding to them at least.

@Sporty,

On a different measurement scale I had a copper level of 74 with 72 being bottom of range. I had severe, dangerous and damaging copper deficiency symptoms including CNS demyelination, disintegrating gums requiring all my upper teeth to be pulled. Most of the deficiency symptoms I have had have been with "in range" measurements. Before knowing what MIGHT be causing symptoms and deficiencies a lot more information would be needed. The Refeeding Syndrome thread might be interesting for you to read.

aquariusgirl

Been taking mitolipo from www.mitosyngergy. ....Definately not your regular copper...but check the site for the scientific definition......and along with zinc, it switched the lights back on. I feel like I must have been terribly deficient....but after 3/4 months on it .. i did an RBC copper and it was in range....which was surprising to me.

I think something weird is awry with copper & iron metabolisem and I'm not sure it's turning up on tests.

I would be scared to take regular coppr & iron...pro-inflamatory?

Last edited:

Freddd

Definitely doesn't work (the link)

Add a ".com" and the link will work.

Would you describe your experiences with this please. How quickly did it start working. How soon was it obvious?. What clear healing was visible? Were you having demyelinations yet? Did it stop those cold? Did you do a titration for an approximate symptom to dose curve?

Copper is pretty cheap but that isn't. What makes it worthwhile?

Last edited:

Violeta

Definitely doesn't work (the link)

Add a ".com" and the link will work.

Would you describe your experiences with this please. How quickly did it start working. How soon was it obvious?. What clear healing was visible? Were you having demyelinations yet? Did it stop those cold? Did you do a titration for an approximate symptom to dose curve?

Copper is pretty cheap but that isn't.
Add .con to the link.

Johnmac

Hi there

I had my copper results back this morning and my levels are 11.6 with the range being 11-20. They also gave me the results of Caeruloplasmin which was 0.19. Range 0.20-0.60.

Does any body know if these results would be causing my symptoms? Or adding to them at least.

Sporty, what are (were?) your symptoms? I've just had copper deficiency, so we could compare notes if you like.

Sporty

Sporty, what are (were?) your symptoms? I've just had copper deficiency, so we could compare notes if you like.

Hi there

My symptoms are fatigue, brain fog, chronic itch, inflammation of the nose (much better now), no libido, low mood. My copper level is low on a HAIR MINERAL TEST......

Johnmac

Hi there

My symptoms are fatigue, brain fog, chronic itch, inflammation of the nose (much better now), no libido, low mood. My copper level is low on a HAIR MINERAL TEST......

Okay. I had most of those in slightly different forms. E.g. the skin itch was actually raging psoriasis (which is fading now I'm supplementing copper).

I had anemia, slight balance problems, psoriasis, irritability, skin infections (which I never normally have), brainfog & fatigue. All vanishing now on 6-8mg copper/day.

Hair tests results can be skewed if you have mercury onboard, as mercury deranges mineral transport & thus hair test results. I'm not sure of copper is one of the ones it skews, but the folks at the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group will know.

You still have your symptoms, despite copper supplementation?

Sporty

Okay. I had most of those in slightly different forms. E.g. the skin itch was actually raging psoriasis (which is fading now I'm supplementing copper).

I had anemia, slight balance problems, psoriasis, irritability, skin infections (which I never normally have), brainfog & fatigue. All vanishing now on 6-8mg copper/day.

Hair tests results can be skewed if you have mercury onboard, as mercury deranges mineral transport & thus hair test results. I'm not sure of copper is one of the ones it skews, but the folks at the Frequent Dose Chelation Yahoo group will know.

Well I think we think, my P and I, that I am actually copper toxic so no supplementing with copper. I think the object is to draw the copper out. On my hair analysis the copper is slightly raised and my calcium very high.

Yes yes, still have symptoms! I'm under the impression it's copper toxic (or bio unavailable ) that's the issue for me.

I am dumping mercury and lead after the last hair test.

Gondwanaland

E.g. the skin itch was actually raging psoriasis (which is fading now I'm supplementing copper).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25653028/
Patients with psoriasis are insulin resistant.
Gyldenløve M, et al. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2015.
Show full citation
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Patients with psoriasis have increased risk of type 2 diabetes. The pathophysiology is largely unknown, but it is hypothesized that systemic inflammation causes insulin resistance. Insulin sensitivity has only been sparsely investigated in patients with psoriasis, and previous studies have used suboptimal methodology. The hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp remains the gold standard for quantifying whole-body insulin sensitivity.

OBJECTIVE: We sought to investigate if normal glucose-tolerant patients with psoriasis exhibit impaired insulin sensitivity.

METHODS: Three-hour hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamps were performed in 16 patients with moderate to severe, untreated psoriasis and 16 matched control subjects.

RESULTS: The 2 groups were similar with regard to age, gender, body mass index, body composition, physical activity, fasting plasma glucose, and glycosylated hemoglobin. Mean ± SEM psoriasis duration was 23 ± 3 years and Psoriasis Area and Severity Index score was 12.7 ± 1.4. Patients with psoriasis exhibited reduced insulin sensitivity compared with control subjects (median M-value 4.5 [range 1.6-14.0] vs 7.4 [range 2.1-10.8] mg/kg/min, P = .046). There were no differences between groups in plasma glucose, insulin, C-peptide, and glucagon during the clamp.

LIMITATIONS: The classic hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp technique does not allow assessment of endogenous glucose production.

CONCLUSION: Patients with psoriasis were more insulin resistant compared with healthy control subjects. This supports that psoriasis may be a prediabetic condition.

Copyright © 2015 American Academy of Dermatology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Freddd

Hi there

My symptoms are fatigue, brain fog, chronic itch, inflammation of the nose (much better now), no libido, low mood. My copper level is low on a HAIR MINERAL TEST..

@Johnmac, @Sporty,

I had itch too but also get it from low potassium. Very obviously from the copper deficiency, low mood, low libido (but there is confouding interaction as getting more copper upped my testosterone and improved libido), I did have worse balance that I chalked up to further "sub acute combined degeneration type lesions" (demyelination) and that is SLOW to heal with copper deficiency or long standing SACD, irritability, fatigue, sleep disorders, had liver damage apparently from Augmentin and possibly related via copper deficiency and some brainfog. I also had sores.deep peeling at the corners of my fingernails, spider veins (fading), varicose veins (shrinking), and apparently Begin Prostatic Enlargement (BPH) because suddenly urine is coming out faster. This is just noticeable the past few days after more than 4 months on copper. However, there is another possibly confounding item, l-methylfolate. Within the past two weeks I both increased methylfolate and alternating glucosimine and calcium salts periods trying to find an optimum.

Sporty

@Johnmac, @Sporty,

I had itch too but also get it from low potassium. Very obviously from the copper deficiency, low mood, low libido (but there is confouding interaction as getting more copper upped my testosterone and improved libido), I did have worse balance that I chalked up to further "sub acute combined degeneration type lesions" (demyelination) and that is SLOW to heal with copper deficiency or long standing SACD, irritability, fatigue, sleep disorders, had liver damage apparently from Augmentin and possibly related via copper deficiency and some brainfog. I also had sores.deep peeling at the corners of my fingernails, spider veins (fading), varicose veins (shrinking), and apparently Begin Prostatic Enlargement (BPH) because suddenly urine is coming out faster. This is just noticeable the past few days after more than 4 months on copper. However, there is another possibly confounding item, l-methylfolate. Within the past two weeks I both increased methylfolate and alternating glucosimine and calcium salts periods trying to find an optimum.

Can you describe the itch Fredd? I believe my potassium level is fine on the hair test....

Freddd

Can you describe the itch Fredd? I believe my potassium level is fine on the hair test....

@Sporty,

A hair mineral shows a very average tissue level. My serum level is usually 3.6 to 4.3. All in range but none of that is high enough to prevent me from getting low SERUM potassium at times. For whatever the reason I can't get it out of the tissue fast enough to keep the serum from going low. Also I was having serious copper deficiency still "in range" and my parts of my nervous system was demyelinating. I have never tested low on anything, except copper after I started supplementing it yet then the symptoms were decreasing.

The itching I have, on and off, is in the skin and doesn't localize well and it just keeps on going.and gets worse when my gut is paralyzed and better after it hasn't for a few days. Looking at the night time spasms and the itching I've had it intermittently since early teens. So I would look for what makes it come and go. One person posted their expwerience of going to the ER insisting that they were having problems because of low potassium despite testing as mid-range. Then as symptoms worsened more tests were made and by the third test it was below 3.5. Maybe it is the rate of drop that triggers things. I don't know. All I know is that a lot of us have similar potassium problems and the tests don't seem to tell much with results that usually "in range" no matter what is happening at the moment. As the serum potassium appears to be able to change +- 1.0 or so in 24 hours and a hair sample is averaged over months I'm not sure it has any meaning except as ancient history. It sure won't catch refeeding syndrome 3 days after healing starts or changes. Good luck.

Sporty

@Sporty,

A hair mineral shows a very average tissue level. My serum level is usually 3.6 to 4.3. All in range but none of that is high enough to prevent me from getting low SERUM potassium at times. For whatever the reason I can't get it out of the tissue fast enough to keep the serum from going low. Also I was having serious copper deficiency still "in range" and my parts of my nervous system was demyelinating. I have never tested low on anything, except copper after I started supplementing it yet then the symptoms were decreasing.

The itching I have, on and off, is in the skin and doesn't localize well and it just keeps on going.and gets worse when my gut is paralyzed and better after it hasn't for a few days. Looking at the night time spasms and the itching I've had it intermittently since early teens. So I would look for what makes it come and go. One person posted their expwerience of going to the ER insisting that they were having problems because of low potassium despite testing as mid-range. Then as symptoms worsened more tests were made and by the third test it was below 3.5. Maybe it is the rate of drop that triggers things. I don't know. All I know is that a lot of us have similar potassium problems and the tests don't seem to tell much with results that usually "in range" no matter what is happening at the moment. As the serum potassium appears to be able to change +- 1.0 or so in 24 hours and a hair sample is averaged over months I'm not sure it has any meaning except as ancient history. It sure won't catch refeeding syndrome 3 days after healing starts or changes. Good luck.

Lol....blimey that's a complicated reply! A bit over my head mate really.

Freddd

Lol....blimey that's a complicated reply! A bit over my head mate really.
@Sporty,

Let me simplify it. The many tests that gave back "in range" results but I still had serious deficiency symptoms would have allowed me to die "in range" of deficiency diseases like multi organ failure more than 10 years ago.

Sporty

@Sporty,

Let me simplify it. The many tests that gave back "in range" results but I still had serious deficiency symptoms would have allowed me to die "in range" of deficiency diseases like multi organ failure more than 10 years ago.

Oh yes, a lot of my blood results have been in range but my hair test gives other readings. Im still unaware if I'm copper toxic or copper deficient. All I know is I have symptoms!

Johnmac

Oh yes, a lot of my blood results have been in range but my hair test gives other readings. Im still unaware if I'm copper toxic or copper deficient. All I know is I have symptoms!

How did you finish up with this @Sporty?

Were you copper deficient? Did you supplement (& recover)?

I've got myself copper deficient again, thus the interest.

Sporty

How did you finish up with this @Sporty?

Were you copper deficient? Did you supplement (& recover)?

I've got myself copper deficient again, thus the interest.

Hi there man

By all accounts I'm copper toxic. I very recently had my hair test results back and it showed raised copper. My P thinks I am copper toxic. I am supplementing heav.ily,. Yes., I'm just detoxing as quick as I. Can lol

Johnmac

Hi there man

By all accounts I'm copper toxic. I very recently had my hair test results back and it showed raised copper. My P thinks I am copper toxic. I am supplementing heav.ily,. Yes., I'm just detoxing as quick as I. Can lol

Okay, thanks. I believe Dr Cutler says hair tests give a fair picture of body copper levels, so it sounds like you're right.

Good luck with the detox. I presume you've looked up all the many things that reduce copper absorption & drive it out of the body.

The pyroluria crowd often complain of "copper dumping symptoms" when they process out copper too quickly. They aim for low & slow.

Good luck.