• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Copper Deficiency or Copper Toxicity? Need some expertise...

Hoosierfans

Have you tried anything to bring the NE levels down? Ive heard baking soda can work as well as stuff like 5HTP, theanine, and other anxiolytics. SSRI’s or other meds for more of a punch

For what it’s worth, OAT tests are incredibly useful but they don’t reflect what’s going on in your brain at all so I’d take that with a big grain of salt when it applies to your whole body.

There’s a history there with me and NE. I’ve tried the usual supplements (theanine, many of the things @Hip suggested in his excellent post, GABA supplements) and none of them had any effect. So just about a month ago I went back on a baby dose of Klonopin (.25) and it’s helping a little bit not enough. This week I was playing with Kava.

Given my level of anxiety and depression, I am speaking with my doc next week about going back on an SSRI (I was on Effexor for 12 years and came off over a super slow taper but when I did I went from partially disabled to fully disabled). He was actually in the process of organizing a spinal tap for me so that he and my neurologist could get good measurements of my neurotransmitters in my CNS (before we make any decisions about meds), but now I am not sure that’s going to happen.

I am also considering meds like Baclofen or Memantine as I have burning all over my body so we might be able to hit the neuropathy and the psych issues with one med. I trialed Lyrica in the fall and that didn’t go well )made my POTS worse).

DogLover

Given my level of anxiety and depression, I am speaking with my doc next week about going back on an SSRI (I was on Effexor for 12 years and came off over a super slow taper but when I did I went from partially disabled to fully disabled).

Hey, Hoosierfans! Looks like we have a lot in common! I've been dealing with anxiety and depression and have also been tapering off of Effexor. I'm happy to report that I'm going pretty good with symptoms.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Apologies for the jumble of responses to multiple posts, but brain be not .... you know .... that thing that brains are supposed to do ....
I'm somewhat skeptical of HTMA
I suspect this may surprize soe here who think I'm hopelessly alt-woo, but I'm with @Learner1 , @Swim15 , and @Hip on this.

I've never understood how testing hair for mineral content could be anything more than, at best, a rear-view mirror indicator, reflecting what your mineral content was at the time that hair was forming in the folicle, but not really up to date with what's goig on with you system now.

I also feel that a lot of HTMA practitioners are simply tagging that 'discipline' on to their other alphabet soup in an effort to appear more widely and deeply educated.

Oh, and yeah, to open new revenue streams.
It seems my blood work is saying one thing, my HTMA something else.
I'd be inclined to listen to the blood work, at least as a jump-off point for further exploration.
It works fine to detect heavy metal toxins, but not minerals.
That would make sense. Heavy metals hang around for, like, ever, or close to it, so any trace of them in hair samples would be a definite signal ....
Whoever is telling you that you’re copper toxic is a fucking idiot, no offense to them
Oh wow!!! I loooooove someone who says exactly what they mean, particularly when I agree with them !!!!
I was told that my cells were in a “calcium shell” and therefore couldn’t absorb nutrients but also wouldn’t let go of metals (so that’s why I didn’t have any levels of metals show up).
Say what :eek::eek: o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O ???!!??

Wow. Just ..... wow :jaw-drop: :eek: :bang-head::bang-head:.....
Copper is somewhat of a stimulant through NE by dopamine beta hydroxylase and its activity in the basal ganglia. Stimulant effects are normal
Thank you for that info ..... I didn't know that, and it might help my generally fractured sleep not to take it so late in the day. I''ll switch it around with the zinc and see if there's any improvement.

One lives in hope ..... well, at least this one ....

Much appreciated !!!

DogLover

It's good to see you , @DogLover ..... I was wondering how you were doing and how the battle to get out from under was going.... :hug::hug:

Thanks Yippee, I'm still kickin. The last month or so has been good and things are gradually keep improving. Of course, there are setbacks, but I just deal with them. How are you?

YippeeKi YOW !!

How are you?
The usual up and down, but as long as no exterior stress intrudes, I can deal. And the general trajectory seems to be a very subtle, gradual up-curve, with days where I really feel positive about were I am and where that's potentially going ....

But we all know how unreliable that can be ....

Thank you for asking ..... and keep kickin' :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug: !!!

Onward and upward :rocket::rocket::rocket: !!!!