• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Converging Evidence of Similar Symptomatology of ME/CFS and PASC Indicating Multisystemic Dyshomeostasis

SWAlexander

Abstract

The purpose of this article is to review the evidence of similar symptomatology of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC). Reanalysis of data from a study by Jason comparing symptom reports from two groups of ME/CFS and PASC patients shows a notably similar symptomatology. Symptom scores of the PASC group and the ME/CFS group correlated 0.902 (p < 0.0001) across items. The hypothesis is presented that ME/CFS and PASC are caused by a chronic state of multisystemic disequilibrium including endocrinological, immunological, and/or metabolic changes. The hypothesis holds that a changed set point persistently pushes the organism towards a pathological dysfunctional state which fails to reset. To use an analogy of a thermostat, if the ‘off switch’ of a thermostat intermittently stops working, for periods the house would become warmer and warmer without limit. The hypothesis draws on recent investigations of the Central Homeostasis Network showing multiple interconnections between the autonomic system, central nervous system, and brain stem. The hypothesis helps to explain the shared symptomatology of ME/CFS and PASC and the unpredictable, intermittent, and fluctuating pattern of symptoms of ME/CFS and PASC. The current theoretical approach remains speculative and requires in-depth investigation before any definite conclusions can be drawn.
https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9059/11/1/180
1673525092075.png

SWAlexander

I would like to share another thought related to symptoms:

ATP – Adenosine triphosphate is what I brought to attention and now is discussed at the moment:
It is an organic compound composed of phosphate groups, adenine, and sugar ribose.
ATP can be withdrawn for reactions when energy is required by the cell.
Like plants capture and store the energy they derive from light during photosynthesis in ATP molecules.

ATP is a process called cellular respiration that occurs in the mitochondria of a cell. Mitochondria are tiny subunits within a cell that specializes in extracting energy from the foods we eat and converting it into ATP.
Even sleep is affected by photosynthesis.

We discuss at the moment if there is a possibility ATP is not functioning because people with LC and ME/CFS are locked up in dark rooms, because of light sensitivity, where no photosynthesis UV, IR or blacklight can reach them.

I would appreciate some comments or suggestions. .

Last edited:

Belbyr

I know some here will disagree with me, but I've always been a believer that CFS/Fibro/POTS/Long Covid/etc. are all the same thing, or at least a very strong overlap. The autonomic nervous system issues are very apparent in just about all cases. This article seems to reinforce that.

Wishful

We discuss at the moment if there is a possibility ATP is not functioning because people with LC and ME/CFS are locked up in dark rooms, because of light sensitivity, where no photosynthesis UV, IR or blacklight can reach them.

Most ATP production is in parts of the body that don't get significant levels of light, so this connection is unlikely. AFAIK, most of us show no correlation between ME symptoms and light levels.

Wishful

The problem with the study is that it's based on self-reported judgements of symptoms via questionnaires, which is very unreliable and/or manipulatable (is that a proper word?). Depending on how you word the questions, you can get the results you want. If they had groups with other illnesses fill out the questionnaires, they might see similar correlations.