• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Constant belly bloat

Close to paleo. My weight is low. It used to be that some foods would bother me worse than others. Now it seems to be about everything. Effecting my appetite and my willingness to eat.

ljimbo423

its horrible after eating. Anyone else experiencing this...not sure if it’s cfs related or not.

This is a very common problem in CFS. Both small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and dysbiosis are very common.

SIBO often causes bloating. I get it sometimes even eating only protein but it's often worse with carbs.

Jim

Mary

Moderator Resource
its horrible after eating. Anyone else experiencing this...not sure if it’s cfs related or not.

Another possibility is low stomach acid. Years ago it felt like food just sat in my stomach for hours, I felt heavy and bloated. It would be particularly bad after eating something with fat or meat which are difficult to digest. I eventually learned I was low in stomach acid and started taking an HCL with pepsin supplement with meals, particularly those high in protein, and the problem resolved.

A simple test is to dissolve 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 8 ounces of water and drink it on an empty stomach. If you don't burp within a few minutes, it can be an indication of low stomach acid, which is all too common in people with ME/CFS.

sb4

@Jpac I have had this basically since my illness began and have tried all sorts (really high dose betaine, parasite cleanses, probiotics, really strict diets, countless supplements etc). What I eventually realised was it seems to be gastroparesis brought on by POTS/dysautonomia. I have had this for 7yrs and I only realised I had POTS 1.5yrs ago (after it got a lot worse...). So even if it doesn't seem like you have clear symptoms of POTS, you could still have a malfunctioning autonomic system causing delayed motility.

The only time I have lost the bloating was when I did a 30day fast (do not recomend). However my stomach would bloat out again when I drank my daily glass of water. This proved to me it isn't my gut reacting to certain foods, it's a problem of my stomach holding on to things for too long.

Of course it could be different cause in you. Just might save you all the elimination diets, this that and the other, that I ended up doing before I realised the true cause.

Basically, things that help POTS, tend to help gastroparesis. So far I haven't found a magic bullet but I have managed to reduce the paresis significantly and the less bad the paresis the less bloating.

pattismith

diet change, and then probiopure Bifidobacterium longum have helped me getting rid of gut issues.

it is something you can solve, unless some specific gut infections that need antibiotics

@Jpac I have had this basically since my illness began and have tried all sorts (really high dose betaine, parasite cleanses, probiotics, really strict diets, countless supplements etc). What I eventually realised was it seems to be gastroparesis brought on by POTS/dysautonomia. I have had this for 7yrs and I only realised I had POTS 1.5yrs ago (after it got a lot worse...). So even if it doesn't seem like you have clear symptoms of POTS, you could still have a malfunctioning autonomic system causing delayed motility.

The only time I have lost the bloating was when I did a 30day fast (do not recomend). However my stomach would bloat out again when I drank my daily glass of water. This proved to me it isn't my gut reacting to certain foods, it's a problem of my stomach holding on to things for too long.

Of course it could be different cause in you. Just might save you all the elimination diets, this that and the other, that I ended up doing before I realised the true cause.

Basically, things that help POTS, tend to help gastroparesis. So far I haven't found a magic bullet but I have managed to reduce the paresis significantly and the less bad the paresis the less bloating.[/QUOTE
Thx! Which doc best deals with POTS? Is it neurologist?

hi jpac. i have gastroparesis too, and i get a lot of bloating , constantly really., no matter what i eat. my gastro recently put me on over the counter benefiber (green container) 3x daily. it has made a world of difference. please try it.. but must be 3x daily.
good luck,

joanie

sb4

"Thx! Which doc best deals with POTS? Is it neurologist?"
@Jpac TBH all the doctors I have seen, including POTS docs, have been dire. Not a single doctor has intentionally done anything to better my condition. The only benefits from them are getting tests done and interpreting the data yourself.

If I where you I would try the things other people have suggested in this thread and if you still come up short, consider that it could be from your autonomic system. You may, like I used to, not have overt POTS symptoms yet your autonomic system is still causing POTS, only as you get worse will pots show up. Or you may have bacterial overgrowth, endotoxin, food intolerances. Perhaps try FODMAPs and see if it helps.

What was the end result of the 30 day water fast? It’s something I have on my list
hi jpac. i have gastroparesis too, and i get a lot of bloating , constantly really., no matter what i eat. my gastro recently put me on over the counter benefiber (green container) 3x daily. it has made a world of difference. please try it.. but must be 3x daily.
good luck,

joanie
Thx, I will try it

What was the end result of the 30 day water fast? It’s something I have on my list

Thx, I will try it
jpac. i forgot to mention. i have been on many meds for my belly bloat and gastroparisies, domeradome, librax, bentyl , levsin, etc etc. and the only thing that works consistantly, is the benefiber. i doubted it myself, and didnt purchase it until weeks after my gastros visit. but it does work. i will guarantee it!!!!! and my gastro is so happy.

joanie

sb4

Thx, I will try it

TBH I don't recommend it. I felt better initially, as my symptoms are worse after eating however after a couple days in I felt really bad, and I almost quite many times. Whilst my stomach symptoms were obviously vastly reduced, they came right back as soon as I started eating again, as if nothing had happened.

Not to get overly personal, but we’re you not regular in your bathroom visits?

During the fast I stopped having bowel movements probably after a few days.

i would never fast. are you crazy, food is the only thing that gives me a little energy. none of my doctors have ever recommended it.

plus, it also gives me a bit of happiness,
as i love to eat!!!!

joanie

hi jpac. i have serious ibs and for yrs ive experienced the D , about 5 yrs ago i suddenly went into the C. the C is easier to manage . but the benefiber is also good for the D. you can also take the imodium otc. it is very effective. you can also take bentyl and/or librax prescription. diahrea should be controlled as you can lose your nutrients and electrolytes. now my ibs seems to be quiet and my gastroparesis is bothering me and that makes my C worse as with gastroparesis everything slows up.. hence the miralax and benefiber. i know the difference as for me the ibs is lower pain and the gastroparesis is higher pain.
let me know how your tests come out, i wish you well.
joanie

I've had bloating, gastroparesis and slow motility that was unrelated to food intake.

Things that help me are acetylcholine precursors and cofactors, serotonin precursors and cofactors, and calcium. Calcium is the absolute number 1 solution for me and is super easy to test, but the acetylcholine and serotonin supps won't even help if my calcium is too low. I usually take 100% of the RDA at once if my GI tract freezes up.

All muscles, including the ones in the gastrointestinal tract, need calcium to contract, and every cell needs calcium as it's an important signaling molecule, so the body doesn't tolerate low calcium very well. Dysregulated calcium metabolism seems to be a big part of the equation for me.