• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Considering transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)

Artemisia

Hi, I was approved by my insurance for 9 weeks of deep TMS. I've had depression all my life, and CFS / ME about 8 - 10 years. I'm currently not able to work due to fatigue, and cannot stand for more than 10 minutes due to muscle weakness.

TMS is supposed to work well for depression, and I found a study showing deep TMS even changed the gut bacteria and improved hormonal status and BMI. This is another problem I have -- overweight and hormonal imbalances.

However, I fear the stimulation of TMS might be too much for someone with CFS. I also know studies can be manipulated and presented in misleading ways. I've talked to people online who swear they've had loss of cognition and memory, worse anxiety, and even worse depression after TMS. I'm not 100% sure it's good for the brain.

Any experience from CFS-ers, or any knowledge to share? Thank you.

Wishful

Keep in mind that what works well for one ME patient may not work well for another. That's just how ME seems to work. :bang-head:

Still, it would be good to hear from people that had TMS and had an effect from it, good or bad (or: 'Waste of money.').

i read good things about it. also that it was being used for cfs and fibromyalgia. i looked into it, but i had to travel too far for it. i would definately try it. and good luck.

joanie