• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Connection between Fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's and Sjogren's Poll

How many people here with Fibromyalgia also have the following?:

• Total voters

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I talk to many people online with Fibromyalgia. I have noticed that a large number of people with Fibromyalgia also have Hashimoto's Disease, Sjogren's syndrome or Sjogren's Antibodies, and elevated C-Reactive Protein. I wanted to do a poll to see how much of a connection there is.

taniaaust1

Ive had fibro and I have none of those (unless one counts ME as being autoimmune connection). I do have hypothyriodism running in my family (at least 3 family members) .. i dont know if any of those had fibro.

Maybe do another option .. had/have fibro but possibly none of those.

Sidney

Maybe this is far too late for your survey!: I have Sjögren's antibodies, Syndrome, and symptom of dry lungs, but much much the worst symptoms are chronic fatigue, PEM, and too often, brain fog.

I am not at all sure, but I think it very possible that the Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) which I've been taking for 10 months has spared me the joint pain, often a main Sjögren's symptom. But who knows.

I always just assumed that chronic fatigue is a symptom of many autoimmune diseases, which must be related, although blood tests reveal separate diagnoses.
I live in the US which may affect diagnosis.

Very interesting poll! So it is true that autoimmune and fibro tend to be co-morbid. My rheumatologist told me that this is quite common a while back, but she had no explanation for WHY.

I have come up with one theory - if anyone is interested I can share some links.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Very interesting poll! So it is true that autoimmune and fibro tend to be co-morbid. My rheumatologist told me that this is quite common a while back, but she had no explanation for WHY.

I have come up with one theory - if anyone is interested I can share some links.

I'm interested.

Have you seen the study where they found 40% of people with fibromyalgia also have small fiber neuropathy? They theorize it is autoimmune neuropathy. I always wondered if Fibromyalgia is a yet to be discovered autoimmune disease.

@Mya Symons Do you have an autoimmune condition, fibro or both? I'll share my ideas hopefully by tomorrow, I was just heading out. It's just my own wild theory of what helps me make sense of my own situation, I don't know if it would necessarily apply to others but may be something to look into anyway. I posted my recovery story here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lgia-a-sleep-disorder-a-recovery-story.46082/ so you may get some sense of it from there. A made few interesting and unusual discoveries.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
@Mya Symons Do you have an autoimmune condition, fibro or both? I'll share my ideas hopefully by tomorrow, I was just heading out. It's just my own wild theory of what helps me make sense of my own situation, I don't know if it would necessarily apply to others but may be something to look into anyway. I posted my recovery story here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lgia-a-sleep-disorder-a-recovery-story.46082/ so you may get some sense of it from there. A made few interesting and unusual discoveries.

Yes, I have Hashimoto's and Fibromyalgia.

I talk to many people online with Fibromyalgia. I have noticed that a large number of people with Fibromyalgia also have Hashimoto's Disease, Sjogren's syndrome or Sjogren's Antibodies, and elevated C-Reactive Protein. I wanted to do a poll to see how much of a connection there is.

I don't have fibromyalgia; however, I did have high CRP, 6.5 and anti-TPO ab of 51, before starting DMSA chelation for mercury poisoning. The increased anti-TPO ab seems to correlate with gluten in my diet, the more breads and other things like that I eat the more my body attacks my thyroid. Some think it is a sign of leaky gut, but I've done everything I can to fix that and it hasn't helped. After chelation, CRP went down to 0.

Anti-Tg <1 and Anti-Trab <1, thus I have hashimoto's as opposed to graves disease or some other hyperthyroidism.