• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Congress writes back!

Stretched

I was surprised to receive this congesswoman’s reply to my simple signing of a petition put together by ?
‘Seems there’s some good information floating around Congress, at least from Atlanta, Georgia. I wonder how ubiquitous it is?

<<Thank you for contacting me regarding Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this issue.

ME/CFS is a serious disease that is estimated to affect more than 1 million Americans. The National Institute of Health (NIH) has taken an active role to learn more about this debilitating disease. In 1999, the NIH established the Trans-NIH ME/CFS Working Group to foster ME/CFS research. Today, thanks to millions in research grants, we are gaining a better understanding of the disease and important treatment options have been identified. The funds that support this important research are in place through 2022.

Additionally, in the recent Fiscal Year 2018 Budget passed by Congress, funding allocated to the NIH increased by $3 billion to a total of $37 billion. I am hopeful that this increase in funding will allow for greater progress in the field of ME/CFS research.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me.

Sincerely,
GA06-Handel-Sigfont.PNG

Karen C. HandelMember of Congress

P.S. Please visit my website at handel.house.gov to sign up for my weekly newsletter to stay up to date on Congressional and district happenings, or follow me on Facebook at facebook.com/RepKarenHandel and on Twitter at @RepKHandel. >>

Last edited: