• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused about b12

I saw a post about b12 it's over 100 pages long, I haven't been able to read it all but it just confuses me. Can someone simplify it- is b12 good or bad for CFS? What is the best brand & way to take it?
I've also heard that b12 can deplete potassium but I've also read that potassium slows b12 absorption. Am I the only one who doesn't get it ?
Thanks, lilly

Tony

Still working on it all..
Generally B12 is a good thing. Some people need to start at a very low dose to avoid possible side effects. My guess is these people may generally be quite sensitive to many supplements or medications.

According to Drs De Meirleir and Cheney and other researchers the most effective way is to inject the Hydroxocobalamin form under the skin. Under the tongue forms of hydroxo or methyl are also found to be effective by some people. The cyanocobalamin form isn't recommended by any doctor I've heard of for ME/CFS and Cheney once said it should never be used. Though just to confuse me one patient blogger has found injecting this form helpful and better than the others!

I understand B12 is a good scavenger of nitric oxide which can be a problem causing brain fog. (This is from Dr Pall's research.) I've found Hydroxo B12 very effective for this and have much improved concentration since injecting several times per week, now daily for several years. For me, injecting 0.07ml of 10mg/ml strength daily is very helpful. Some need far less than that to start, others much more to get a result.

Probably the only way to know is to try it yourself, start slowly and see if it helps. Folate in the form of methlyfolate (metafolin) at 200-250mcgs per day is an aid to helping the B12 work according to my docs.

Generally B12 is a good thing. Some people need to start at a very low dose to avoid possible side effects. My guess is these people may generally be quite sensitive to many supplements or medications.

According to Drs De Meirleir and Cheney and other researchers the most effective way is to inject the Hydroxocobalamin form under the skin. Under the tongue forms of hydroxo or methyl are also found to be effective by some people. The cyanocobalamin form isn't recommended by any doctor I've heard of for ME/CFS and Cheney once said it should never be used. Though just to confuse me one patient blogger has found injecting this form helpful and better than the others!

I understand B12 is a good scavenger of nitric oxide which can be a problem causing brain fog. (This is from Dr Pall's research.) I've found Hydroxo B12 very effective for this and have much improved concentration since injecting several times per week, now daily for several years. For me, injecting 0.07ml of 10mg/ml strength daily is very helpful. Some need far less than that to start, others much more to get a result.

Probably the only way to know is to try it yourself, start slowly and see if it helps. Folate in the form of methlyfolate (metafolin) at 200-250mcgs per day is an aid to helping the B12 work according to my docs.

Dr Klimas likes to use the vitB12 under the tongue rather that as an injection. She mentioned something about too much ????? with the injection. I'm not sure she was talking about the hydroc... one.
sorry to be so vague maybe someone else knows what she was saying?

Tony

Still working on it all..
That's interesting Frankie. Maybe Dr Klimas prefers the smaller amounts of B12 to start with? The injectable form can be ordered in whatever strength your doc wants it to be...so I'm not sure here either!...:) Yeah, maybe another of her patients can chime in here.