• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Clues of link between neurodegeneration and herpes virus infections

Martin aka paused||M.E.

https://newatlas.com/science/alzheimers-neurodegeneration-herpes-virus-optn/

Those of you who feel that ME is somehow virus related might find this research interesting.
This is very interesting:

This new study, led by researchers from the University of Illinois Chicago, initially set out to investigate why acute HSV-1 infections can be fatal in some immunocompromised people and harmless in many others. The answer came in the form of a protein called optineurin (OPTN).
(...)
“OPTN stops the virus from growing and it stops it by autophagy – engulfing the virus particles inside tiny vesicles called autophagosomes,” says Deepak Shukla, lead researcher on the project. “The autophagy that happens is very selective."
(...)
In mice lacking OPTN the viral infection rapidly spread into the brain and significant neurodegeneration was subsequently observed.

There are more and more studies that link chronic diseases to persistent pathogens. But why persistent pathogens are problematic for some and without any consequences for health for others still remains unclear so this is one explanation that might be transferable to other diseases as well (for example the same was observed in ALS).

You say that it might be interesting for those who think that ME is somehow related to a viral infection. I think a body doesn't become severely ill for no reason. It doesn't need to be a virus but something that disturbs the normal functioning of the body. And that's very probably one or more pathogens.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
This is very interesting:

There are more and more studies that link chronic diseases to persistent pathogens. But why persistent pathogens are problematic for some and without any consequences for health for others still remains unclear so this is one explanation that might be transferable to other diseases as well (for example the same was observed in ALS).

You say that it might be interesting for those who think that ME is somehow related to a viral infection. I think a body doesn't become severely ill for no reason. It doesn't need to be a virus but something that disturbs the normal functioning of the body. And that's very probably one or more pathogens.

I cant recall if it was Lerner or Montoya that said herpes viruses can avoid the immune system by turning down the patients interferon levels somehow and this lowers nk function. This may have just been a theory as im relying on my memory recall from yrs ago.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

herpes viruses can avoid the immune system by turning down the patients interferon levels somehow and this lowers nk function.
Retro/enteroviruses can do this as well. Just think of HIV. But there is evidence that many pathogens can do this. PolyBio does a great job investigating the immune dysregulation as a consequence of multiple pathogenic “hits”.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Retro/enteroviruses can do this as well. Just think of HIV. But there is evidence that many pathogens can do this. PolyBio does a great job investigating the immune dysregulation as a consequence of multiple pathogenic “hits”.

I was going to write its like hiv where its not hiv that makes them sick but its the bugs they pick up.

The double hit hypothesis seems common and was the case with me, varicella, cmv then ebv. But have done a few long courses of antibiotics that have helped alot. Maybe mycoplasma or similar, getting accurate testing for these things is an issue.