• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cistus incanus

xrunner

Anybody tried Cistus Incanus tea or tincture?
I have had the tea for a few days then stopped then resumed again. It seems to cause a considerable increase in fatigue and feeling kind of spaced out. I can't understand why.
It's just a normal infusion. Klinghardt says it's effective against biofilm and is antibacterial but then if that's the case (I'm trying it to find out) I would not expect it to work so fast, so I assume it must be affecting something else.
I'd like to hear from anybody who's tried it.
Thanks

Owl42

Psychedelic bird
This herb has been recently recomended to me for treatment of viral and retroviral infections and I was going to open a new thread on this, but seeing it already exists, let's see if someone can provide some new info on it now :p

This is the most related research I've found http://www.nature.com/articles/srep20394

Violeta

Yes, I drink cistus incanus tea off and on and give it to our dogs, too.

I have only had positive reaction to it, but I drink it very diluted because of the taste. Since it breaks down biofilm, setting free all kinds of stuff, I could see how it could cause an almost immediate reaction.
That might make for dirty blood that can't carry oxygen.

I did start taking monolaurin recently, though, and have had some uncomfortable symptoms.

Wally

Here are some videos about Cistus Incanus where Dr. Klinghardt talks about this plant and how it has been used to treat different pathogens/infections. Since this thread was started back in 2012, I thought these more recent videos might be of interest for others to review.

1) Video uploaded on 3/23/2018 -

2) Video uploaded on 3/23/2018 -

3) Video uploaded on 7/18/2017 -

Has anyone tried the tea or oil from the Cistus Incanus plant which grows in Sardinia, as identified in the videos noted above?

Wally

Here is some information from a 2016 German study about the antiviral effectiveness in “cell culture” of Cistus Incanus extract for HIV and Ebola. These cell culture findings will need to be confirmed in a study with human subjects. However, the information and observation from Dr. Klinghardt (and others) about this plant’s antiviral properties against other pathogens, does make this an interesting finding.

I do have some of this tea and I am playing to do a trial run trying the tea starting tomorrow. I will report back on my experience with this informal trial.. If no side effects develop, I plan to give the tea a 21 day trial.

Cell culture experiments reveal potent antiviral activity of Cistus incanus extracts against HIV and Ebola
Date:
February 2, 2016
Source:
Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen - German Research Centre for Environmental Health
Summary:
Scientists have discovered that extracts of the medicinal plant Cistus incanus (Ci) prevent human immunodeficiency viruses from infecting cells. Active antiviral ingredients in the extracts inhibit docking of viral proteins to cells. Antiviral activity of Cistus extracts also targets Ebola- and Marburg viruses.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160202091053.htm

Wally

@Sidny - Not sure, but I have tested positive for the following: EBV, HHV-6, Enteroviruses, Bartonella, SIBO, GERD with Bartonella’s disease and some significant bacterial overgrowth (shown by both SIBO testing and very detailed microbiome testing). If I had to guess based on my history with this illness, EBV is what I believe has always been the major “known” player in the course of my illness.

I am going to write up (in a separate thread) a more comprehensive health background to go with my Cistus Incanus test observations/results because I think my 25 year history with this illness needs to be set out in more detail when sharing my home made research study with others.

I have also had significant, but temporary results on three different occasions using a synthetic precscription anti-viral drug. So, I am interested in seeing what a more natural alternative anti-viral/anti-bacterial supplement may or may not do to effect my symptoms.

I am also currently waiting for the possibility to be in a clinical trial, so right now I am not on any other treatment. I have decided this is my time to try something more out of the box without any other experimental treatments on board to skew the results. I also feel very comfortable trying this tea without medical supervision.

After spending the last two months in bed due to a another relapse, it just seemed like the right time to challenge my daily routine with a cup of tea. I am cautiously optimistic that just maybe this “elixir” can unlock another door for a small dose of freedom from this life sucking illness. At the very least, I will have my mind and body occupied for a few weeks while trying out this experiment.

sb4

I am waiting for this tea to arrive, but I wonder if somebody could help me understand the instruction for using it found here ( https://kiscience.com/sardinian-cistus-incanus/ ).

How much tea leaves do I put in the saucepan?
How much water?
It says rebrew 2 times. Does this mean if you made a big batch it's okay to rebrew 2 times or does it mean, brew and rebrew 3 times before drinking any?

Wally

@sb4 - I am using the tea brand recommended by Kinghardt in the videos linked in the first post of this thread. I am also planning to use bottled Fiji water for my tea experiment. Note the tea leaves are considered a food supplement, so I am following Klinghardt’s suggestion just like any food or beverage recipe I might try.

There are directions on the package of tea leaves that say to add 2 to 3 tablespoons of loose tea leaves to one liter of water. Brew the tea for at least 10 minutes and drink the tea hot or cold throughout the day. However, in Dr. Klinghardt’s video (linked above) his recommendation adds some more details about brewing and drinking the tea beyond what is on the package.

I plan to use 2 to 3 tablespoons of loose tea leaves with one liter of water as suggested on the package, but I will use the brewing time, temperature and use of lid as set forth in the video. I will also be adding Stevia to the brewed tea as suggested in the video. I will try drinking the tea both hot and cold. No mention of whether the tea is recommended to be taken on an empty stomach or with food. I will probably try drinking the tea with and without food. I will also rebrew the same tea leaves two more times as suggested in the video.

It is recommended in the video to drink 6 to 8 cups of tea per day. However on his website there is a lyme protocol that states the following
Step 1: the foundation Cistus tea (prevention of tick bites, biofilm- dissolving, borreliocidal) – start with 2 cups per day, slowly increase to 8 cups per day. As soon as any improvement is noticed, stay with that dose without further increase. If a die-off effect or worsening occurs, go back to the last tolerated dose
https://klinghardtinstitute.com/category/protocols/.

It should also be noted that the ratio of water to tea leaves given on the package would only brew up approx. 34 ounces of tea, which is approx. four (8 oz.) cups. I plan to start slowly with my experiment by drinking only 2 cups of tea per day and if that goes well for 5 days I will trying increasing my consumption of tea to 4 cups per day.. Depending on how I feel by week three, l I will see if I need or can tolerate increasing my daily tea consumption up to 5 to 8 cups of tea per day.

Not sure how much Stevia I will add to each cup of tea, but it will probably be based on taste. Once I find an amount of sweetness that I can tolerate, I will keep the measurement of Stevia the same for each cup of tea.

I hope this information is helpful. I will also include all of the above details in a separate thread, where I plan to document my tea experiment.

Last edited:

sb4

I hope this information is helpful. I will also include all of the above details in a separate thread, where I plan to document my tea experiment.

Excellent, thanks for the info. Please tag me in that thread and I will also update it with my experiences.

I will also rebrew the same tea leaves two more times as suggested in the video.
I'm still unsure here. Do we rebrew the tea twice instantly or throughout the day?

Wally

@sb4 - My interpretation of the brewing instructions is to rebrew the leaves up to two times when making more tea, but I did find it confusing as to whether he might be saying to brew the tea three times before drinking any of the tea.. I will try to contact Klinghardt’s office on Monday to see if I can get this instruction clarified.

I am also still deciding which brand of Stevia to use, since I found the drops of Stevia by Body Ecology that I had in my pantry have expired. I have decided to wait to start my experiment on Monday after (hopefully) getting clarification on the brewing instructions and stocking up on some more Stevia. I figure it is better to wait on starting my experiment until my tea recipe with instructions and ingredients is more clearly identified.

Wally

@sb4
Just found a better description about how Dr. Klinghardt recommends making the tea. When viewing the link I am attaching scroll down below the videos to read how the process is described. I am cutting and pasting part of the description, but I would recommend reading the whole section because it provides some additional information about how one person needed to start very slowly drinking this tea to be able to tolerate it.

https://klinghardtinstitute.com/articles/sardinian-cistus-incanus/
So how do we use it?
The Sardinian tea leaves are brought to an ultra-brief boil, then simmered for 5 minutes and cooled down. The pot/pan has to be covered with a lid to avoid the escape of the volatile oils from the plant which contain the precious manoyloxides and labdanum – responsible for the powerful anti-Lyme effect. Whole leaf Stevia tincture is not just added to sweeten the tea but for its important anti-Lyme effect. Do not use the commercially available clear Stevia extract!

I use the products from KiScience only, which fulfill all of our criteria to tame the retroviruses, mould, Lyme and other bacteria and viruses. The same tea leaves should be re-brewed 2 more times, since other polyphenols and plant adaptogens are extracted when doing this.

Now that I have the tea brewing figured out, I will need to see if I can find “Whole Food Stevia Tincture” locally or if I will need to order it online. Hopefully obtaining the right kind of Stevia will not slow down the start of my experiment. However, I will definitely tag you when I start the experiment, along with the full protocol that I will use.

sb4

@Wally You're a hero, thanks. Yeah I am going to cheat a bit and use some commercially bought stevia, hopefully it won't effect the results too much. Still unclear on the rebrewing, I have also emailed them a couple days back but no response yet. I think I will brew, have 1 cup, then before next cup rebrew, and again one more time.

Wally

@sb4 - I have continued to do more reading about the tea (online Forums etc...) and it does seem that the rebrewing is for making subsequent batches of tea. In other words you use the same loose tea leaves up to three times. I was not able to find any discussion online as to why not brew the leaves three times in succession to get the maximum release in one batch of tea. I will try to obtain an answer to that question, but I feel comfortable starting my experiment following the rebrewing method where you use the same tea leaves for three separate batches. As soon as I have any additional information about the rebrewing process I will post the information here.

As far as the Stevia part of this experiment, I am now trying to source a whole leaf tincture that will be a good choice for my experiment. I did find this article from Dr. Axe that talks about the study related to Stevia and Lyme. https://draxe.com/stevia-kills-lyme-disease/. You may want to read the article to see that whole leaf stevia tincture was a key factor in the findings in this study about lyme. While lyme disease is not my motivation for setting up my experiment with this tea, I am interested in trying to get each part of my experiment/recipe set-up without a lot of variables.

Here is a July 1, 2017 update on what has been going on at New Haven University studying the use of Stevia to fight Lyme disease or specifically Borrelia burgdorferi. I will try to investigate whether there is a more recent up date on this research, since this update is now almost a year old. https://www.nhregister.com/connecti...-of-New-Haven-professor-studying-11309707.php

sb4

@Wally "The powdered stevia diluted in liquid did not show promise in killing off Lyme" Uh oh!
"I like to enjoy it in green powder form, too, since that is how people in Japan and South American have used it for centuries" Phew, looks like my green powder is in the clear.

What you say about rebrewing makes a ton of sense. So we brew 1 litre with new leaves, drink it, then rebrew the same leaves twice more.

I have a tea brewing cup with a lid I kind of wanted to use. Just poor in boiling water, but it seems like this wouldn't have the proper effect.

Thanks for the articles!

Wally

@sb4 - I found this short video re Stevia from Dr. Klinghardt on the website for BioPure products.
https://biopureus.com/product/stevia/

I know that Dr. Klinghardt has recommended this company in the past for other products (based on my reviewing other Klinghardt videos online), but I don’t know his specific involvement with the company (i.e. does he just use their products, or is he involved with developing the products and/or does he have a financial interest in the company). The company appears to be located in Seattle and this is about 20 miles from where Dr. Klinghardt’s office in the U.S. is located. (I am enjoying my amateur online sleuthing to try to gather up information for my experiment.)

I will order this brand of Stevia today and pay a little (or a lot) extra to try to get the product to me by mid week, so hopefully my experiment can start later this week. :mug::mug:

sb4

but I don’t know his specific involvement with the company
I have watched a few Klinghardt vids over the last week and seem to remember him saying he has no financial connection to BioPure but is friends with the people who run it. Apparently they listen to what Klinghardt says and try to make their products to his spec.

I ordered some Cistus from america last week so I recon it will show up some time in the next 2 weeks.

Wally

@sb4 - Just found this blog at http://www.cfsrecoverypath.com/tool...th-dr-klinghardt-the-sophia-health-institute/. The author of this blog states that Dr. Klinghardt does have a financial interest in BioPure, but in the comment section several people state that this is not correct and Dr. Klinghardt has no financial interest in this company. (I will pursue this further, but I wanted to update this thread with what information I have found so far on this issue.).

Here is one of the comments from the blog regarding Dr. Klinghardt’s involvement with the company, BioPure.
Jessica
May 13, 2015 | 2:41 pm
1ca89b5bcb5885eba2256c1e128100bd

I can put your mind to rest regarding Dr KLinghardt’s “conflict of interest” regarding Biopure. He doesn’t have one. He makes nothing from Biopure and has stated that publically many times. He works with Biopure so that he can recommend the products which he knows for certain are clean and biologically active — it’s an element of his perfectionism, I think. Also, he has worked with Biopure to develop many products which did not exist in the market place — such as the Nexus suppositories — good products that help Lyme patients and were never available until he designed them. I’ve been a patient there for a few years and have always been encouraged to get my products elsewhere if I could find them at a cheaper price or if I could find a better product. This is one of the reasons I trust Dr Klinghardt.

Wally

I ordered some Cistus from america last week so I recon it will show up some time in the next 2 weeks.

@sb4 - I am using the tea leaves from KiScience, which is located in Germany.. https://kiscience.com/product/cistus-incanus-infusion/ This is the product that Dr, Kkinghardt has used and he discusses in one of his videos why he believes it is important to use a product from the the plants grown in Sardinia. The video re Sardinia Incanus Cistus plants is one of the ones I posted above in Reply #4 to this thread. I do not know if he has any financial interest in this company, but I will add this question to my investigation list.

The BioPure company, located in the U.S. also has loose leaf Cistus Incanus tea on their website. https://biopureus.com/product/cistus-incanus-tea-100g/
Not sure if these two companies source their tea leaves from the same supplier, but it appears that that both KiScience and BioPure’s Cistus Incanus Tea is coming from the mediterranean with KiScience identifying the specific location as being Sardinia.

sb4

@Wally Yes my mistake, I ordered from kiscience also, I just for some reason (.com ?) thought they where american. Yes I ordered specifically the Sardinia ones as Klinghardt recommended.