• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ciprofloxacin again - a never ending story

SWAlexander

One more question. Do you have problems with the spleen or liver?
As an example: I have Hereditary Spherocytosis (HS).

DrUniverse

Godfather
I read that Cipro has adverse effects Up to 10 years. I think their is still hope.
And if you do the same test in lets say 3 months and then again after 3 Months. If their is a continous down then detox happens.
I think its just very very very slow.

SWAlexander

Antioxidant therapy in the management of Fluoroquinolone - Associated Disability
"The main substance that can help, by reducing oxidative damage regardless of the pathophysiology of damage, is naturally occurring glutathione. This antioxidant is well known to minimize the lipid peroxidation of cellular membranes and other such targets that are known to occur with oxidative stress [8]. However, more research and evidence are needed to support its usage for FQAD.

Uivarosi and Seedher et al. have suggested the use of magnesium, which is a natural competitor of FQs for protein binding sites [9, 10]. Supplementation of magnesium has been proven to decrease the absorption of FQs in the gut and can also significantly reduce inflammation [11, 12]. In addition, it seems that ozone can be used to reduce the accumulation of FQs [13].

We still do not know which group of patients is predisposed to adverse reactions after taking FQs. The genetic predisposition for increased risk of FQAD is not yet understood and further research is needed. A possible link between MTHR gene C677T and A1298C polymorphism associated with hyperhomocysteinaemia should be elucidated."
https://www.archivesofmedicalscienc...uinolone-Associated-Disability,97321,0,2.html

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Antioxidant therapy in the management of Fluoroquinolone - Associated Disability
"The main substance that can help, by reducing oxidative damage regardless of the pathophysiology of damage, is naturally occurring glutathion
The emphasis is on "naturula occurimg". If you supplement it as such, firstly it is broken down by the gut and secondly it cannot penetrate the cells. Solution: take the precursors: Glutamine+Taurin+Glycine=red. Glutathione

DrUniverse

Godfather
The emphasis is on "naturula occurimg". If you supplement it as such, firstly it is broken down by the gut and secondly it cannot penetrate the cells. Solution: take the precursors: Glutamine+Taurin+Glycine=red. Glutathione
Isnt it Glutamin, Cystein and Glycine.

And Yeah @SWAlexander i know it. Thats the Problem cfs has low glutathione due to depletion, and if you take Ciprofloxacin on top of that. It's biochemistry rape to your body.

Rvanson

Fluoroquinolone's cause lots of issues in normal people. Why take a chance with ME/CFS?

I've already put down that I am allergic to them in my medical profile, along with sulfa antibiotics.

Penicillin saved my life as a lad, so thankfully they also don't bother with my ME/CFS.

mariovitali

DILI mentioned below = Drug-Induced Liver Injury. Add also to this chemical agents such as organophosphates

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 08.26.20.png

BrightCandle

Liver damage is certainly possible based on my results. I always show some amount of heightened bilirubin in my urine tests and there is no doubt my symptoms are heavily correlated with Ammonia in my blood in what helps me.

Boba

Liver damage is certainly possible based on my results. I always show some amount of heightened bilirubin in my urine tests and there is no doubt my symptoms are heavily correlated with Ammonia in my blood in what helps me.
Is heightened bilirubin a sign of liver damage? I had this 10 years ago

vision blue

Whats your mtdna haplogroup? Ive read at least one research article arguing some haplogroups more prone to damage from cipro thwn others- I think haplogroup H, which is a very common haplogroup in Europe

not familiar with The test you did on succeptibility. Can u say more? And do you think worthwhile.

Pearshaped

Im floxed too, didnt know it until recently, but already had ME then, in my case was probably the lesser evil as the infection itself.
I doubt its a big driver in pwME in general, since many healthy ppl are fpoxed too.
but obviously it can do harm.

Is there someting you can do about it ?
(getting out of your system ?)

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Im floxed too, didnt know it until recently, but already had ME then, in my case was probably the lesser evil as the infection itself.
I doubt its a big driver in pwME in general, since many healthy ppl are fpoxed too.
but obviously it can do harm.

Is there someting you can do about it ?
(getting out of your system ?)
I don’t think so