• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chromium picolante

Oliver3

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.
Has anyone used chromium?
I was developing prediabetes, which I've now reversed, through diet.
Id bought sone berberine and chromium but only usee the berberine.
I decided to use the chromium. I'm aware it's a potentially dangerous element, but wow, does it pack a punch!!!!
I darent take this even for more than a week but I'd love to know how this works in the body.
I slept deeply without that horrible poisoned feeling on waking.
My weak urine stream returned to being able to hitting the bowl from a neyre away lol.
My depression lifted a lot.
I lost weight and it stopped cravings.
I stress, I know this is a dangerous thing to take but it was so overall calming that I'm really curious as to what it's doing in the body

Tammy

Curious, what the dosage is you are taking? I've never heard much information that it is a dangerous thing to take.

Oliver3

Curious, what the dosage is you are taking? I've never heard much information that it is a dangerous thing to take.
Well the tablet comes as a thousand micrograms.
First day I took it , I felt so chilled, so much more human.
But my urine was foamy which concerned. Do t want to damage the kidneys.
But it does seem to have quite a few benefits. Stability of mood. Lifting of depression. Full sleep. More endurance. Muscular skeketal relief and I have to say it, morning wood and better erections s as well return of my sex drive.

I'm not saying it's a wonder drug but it's helped rebound from a crash...I'm looking into safer forms of it.
Am also gonna start b vitamin s supplementation, which when I take with an antihistamine, I can tolerate...
I read that chromium as well as the sugar metabolic stuff has anti inflammatory properties, and anti autoimmune properties.
This is deffo going down as a pem buster. I darent use it full time

Wishful

I tried it early in my ME. It had no noticeable effect on me. I'm not sure that I had ME at that time. It started as a type IV food sensitivity, and when that stopped, the exact same symptoms persisted, so I don't know when the actual ME started.

We're all different, so you'll have to figure out your specific response to it.

Oliver3

I tried it early in my ME. It had no noticeable effect on me. I'm not sure that I had ME at that time. It started as a type IV food sensitivity, and when that stopped, the exact same symptoms persisted, so I don't know when the actual ME started.

We're all different, so you'll have to figure out your specific response to it.
Yeah I'm not really wanting to know about the dosages...I've got it down to maybe 200mg.
I'm just curious as to why many of us seem to have issues with sugar metabolism and why this works so well for me

Oliver3

Linus Pauling Institute is often my go-to for info on nutrients. They seem to have a well balanced information. You may find the info there on chromium mechanisms useful, as well as their safety/toxicity info:
https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/minerals/chromium#safety
Thank you.yes I went there too. I noticed the info was 2001 tho.
It's only something I'm gonna use in crashes because I don't want to stress the kidneys.

Oliver3

Could you clarify?
Hi Tammy, sorry I just saw this. I basically have a 1000 mg tablet. They're very easy to break up. So I quarter it and then just go on feel , quarter it again perhaps. But I'm not going over 200 mg.
I've bought some brewer's yeast that I'm hoping will achieve similar things but I'm worried about the fungal spores possibly present.

The chromium is just for in a jam situation.
I'd just love to know why some of this stuff works

Tammy

Well the tablet comes as a thousand micrograms.
Hi Tammy, sorry I just saw this. I basically have a 1000 mg tablet.
I think what was confusing to me is the first sentence you are referring to micrograms...............second sentence you are referring to milligrams. You also mentioned 200mg................but I know that you are referring to 200micrograms. It's all good! Chromium picolinate comes in micrograms (mcg) vs milligrams (mg).

Really interesting that it had that much of an impact on you.

Let us know if the same thing happens next time.............if you continue to notice the positive impact:)

I took chromium picolinate years ago to help with hypoglycemic symptoms and it definitely helped with that.

Last edited:

Wishful

I'd just love to know why some of this stuff works

So would we all, for our various ME responses. Unfortunately, a lot of the responses involve complex mechanisms, some of which may be unique to ME and unique to an individual, and some may still be unknown to medical science. For example, it's possible that your ME involves a misfolded protein, and its special folding is just right to bind a chromium ion, which then affects cellular function.

I have had lots of unique responses to various substances, and I don't think I managed a reasonable theory for why any of they did what they did. I still try to figure these out, but I don't put too much effort into it anymore.

hapl808

So would we all, for our various ME responses. Unfortunately, a lot of the responses involve complex mechanisms, some of which may be unique to ME and unique to an individual, and some may still be unknown to medical science. For example, it's possible that your ME involves a misfolded protein, and its special folding is just right to bind a chromium ion, which then affects cellular function.

I have had lots of unique responses to various substances, and I don't think I managed a reasonable theory for why any of they did what they did. I still try to figure these out, but I don't put too much effort into it anymore.

Completely agree. I feel like many people try to look for a unified field theory of ME/CFS when they find one thing that works for one (or a few) people, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that simple. If it were, one of the ME/CFS doctors or researchers over the past decades would've solved it.

In recent years I'm just doing careful trial and error after I got exhausted by tests that didn't lead to any real treatment options. I'd get a bunch of tests, then at best get offered d-ribose, Q10, and BCAA. I can figure that out without the testing. (There are still tests I'd like to get, but at this point the physical cost is too high.)

Oliver3

Sure. Good for you. For all I know, chromium is a " thing". So I ask, because for me , it may help someone and myself in some way to understand.
Thanks for the speculation tho. An idea

Wishful

Yes, nothing wrong with asking. Even if there isn't a standard response to chromium or anything else, there might be at least one person who shares your response. I post my odd responses to things, because maybe it will spark some "Me too!" responses, or trigger some interesting hypotheses. I keep hoping someone will post some weird response, and everyone else will say "Me too!", which would lead to a diagnostic test for ME and maybe a treatment.