• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chase Giving charity nominations begin 12 June 2012

taniaaust1

I too think it is going to be much more harder this year :(

During the Voting Period Facebook Users on the Facebook Chase Community Giving application will automatically receive two (2) votes (“Standard Facebook Vote(s)”) to cast during the Voting Period on the Chase Community Giving application found at www.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving. A Facebook user can only cast one (1) Standard Facebook Vote per charity. A Facebook user can earn one (1) bonus vote by allowing “Access” and sharing any content from the Chase Community Giving application to his/her Facebook newsfeed or timeline. If one of the Facebook users’ Facebook Friends links back to the Chase Community Giving Application and casts a vote, the original Facebook user will earn one (1) bonus vote. The bonus vote earned by the original Facebook user can only be cast once he/she has cast his/her two (2) Standard Facebook Votes. The bonus vote may be cast for any Eligible Nominated Charity, including an Eligible Nominated Charity for which the Facebook user has already cast a Standard Facebook Vote. Eligible Voters must return to his/her Facebook page to find out whether he/she has earned a bonus vote as it will be displayed both in the header as well as in the “apps and games” link. There is a limit of one (1) bonus vote earned per Eligible Voter.Eligible Voters who vote at www.ChaseGiving.com and Facebook have the potential of voting a minimum of four (4) times and a maximum of five (5) times.

Now Im even more confused... that very last line of the quote mentions up to a maximum of 5 times for voting?

One step at a time, though. First get organizations nominated. Then wait to see if Chase accepts any of the ME/CFS organizations for the voting.

Edit: Have re-read the rules. I believe that if an organization is in Chase's database and meets the eligibility requirements, then it will be accepted by Chase. Then the organizations are notified of acceptance by Chase and the organizations must tell Chase that they accept the nomination by either the early deadline (with automatic share in a large grant) or a later deadline.

Merry I think last year some votes were wasted as people voted for something which was later withdrawn .... Chase has the right to withdraw a org which didnt reallly qualify at any time.. hence there is a need to make sure the orgs do meet the right criteria.

Merry

Now Im even more confused... that very last line of the quote mentions up to a maximum of 5 times for voting?

Merry I think last year some votes were wasted as people voted for something which was later withdrawn .... Chase has the right to withdraw a org which didnt reallly qualify at any time.. hence there is a need to make sure the orgs do meet the right criteria.

Hi, tania. Please explain to me why I need to "make sure the orgs do meet the right criteria" before I go to the Chase database on the 12the of June to search for ME/CFS to nominate? (Well, before that, I have to fill out an application to become an nominator. I have no idea what that will entail.)

Anyway, help me understand. I want to do what's best.

taniaaust1

sorry merry.. poor choice of wording in my post.

Im trying to say that before people vote they need to try to make sure that the orgs they are voting for are going to be eleiable (sorry my brains going)... you cant trust Chase to not to withdraw an org after the competition starts, if an org is eleiable.

Probably someone giving us all more info about the orgs and veritifying they are would be eleiable is a good idea and also vertifiying if they want to be in the competition (last year one withdrew after it started (wasting votes.. as they didnt want to be in it).

Merry

Thanks, tania. I agree with what you are saying about making our votes count in September. And, in my opinion, now is not too early to start discussing a strategy.

The only ME/CFS organization I know much about is Phoenix Rising. So I'm counting on others to advise me on how to vote.

Aileen

There are 2 types of voters:
1. Chase account holders - they get 2 regular votes on the Chase website (because of their account) PLUS
2 regular votes on Facebook
= 4 total regular votes
+ 1 bonus vote
= 5 TOTAL votes

2. Facebook (everyone else) - we get 2 regular votes on Facebook
+1 bonus vote
=3 TOTAL votes

I hope that helps. Obviously they want to encourage more people to take out a Chase account. Most people will only get a possible 3 votes, but for those of us who remember the special hell known as "gift votes" in a previous year, the reality is most people who vote will likely only get 2. :(

Aileen

Could you explain, Aileen, what you mean by this. I'm not disagreeing with you, but I want to make sure I understand. Thank you.
We need to make sure before we nominate an organization that it really wants to be in the competition. Someone should receive confirmation from the group that they want to participate, are willing to do the necessary paperwork, webpage etc. that Chase wants and are going to be working as hard as they can to get votes. Otherwise that org does not have a chance.

If groups that are not really interested and/or are not prepared to really work hard to get votes and do everything Chase demands are entered, they are going to take votes away from groups who really do want to win and are working hard. This contest is so competitive that if we want anyone to win only a very few motivated groups should be entered. Remember, most of us will only have 2 votes (most will mess up the bonus vote I'm sorry to say). If we enter into an agreement with another illness that is only 1 vote apiece for most people. You have to look at the worst case scenario when planning.

Merry

We need to make sure before we nominate an organization that it really wants to be in the competition. Someone should receive confirmation from the group that they want to participate, are willing to do the necessary paperwork, webpage etc. that Chase wants and are going to be working as hard as they can to get votes. Otherwise that org does not have a chance.

If groups that are not really interested and/or are not prepared to really work hard to get votes and do everything Chase demands are entered, they are going to take votes away from groups who really do want to win and are working hard. This contest is so competitive that if we want anyone to win only a very few motivated groups should be entered. Remember, most of us will only have 2 votes (most will mess up the bonus vote I'm sorry to say). If we enter into an agreement with another illness that is only 1 vote apiece for most people. You have to look at the worst case scenario when planning.

But nomination and voting are two different processes. Even if I were to receive information before the 12th about what organizations "really want to be in the competition" I will nominate whatever ME/CFS organization I find in the database and then let the organizations decide, when they receive an invitation from Chase to participate, if they want to fulfill requirements by the early deadline to get a part of the $2.5 million grant.

But please correct me if I've misunderstood about nomination and the early deadline grant. Thanks.

How To Nominate a Charity:

Beginning June 12, 2012 at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ending July 9, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (“Nomination Period”), Chase customers with a Chase online account, and employees (“Eligible Nominators”) can visit www.ChaseGiving.com to nominate charities listed on www.ChaseGiving.com (“Potential Charity” or “Potential Charities”) for the Programs. Chase Customers who do not have a Chase online account may create an account for free. Only charities listed at www.ChaseGiving.com are eligible for nomination. To find a Potential Charity, search the list at www.ChaseGiving.com by name, keywords, or location. To nominate a Potential Charity, an Eligible Nominator must complete the nomination form. At the end of the Nomination Period any Potential Charity that was nominated and fulfills the eligibility requirements as described in the Program Rules (“Eligible Nominated Charities”) will move to the Charity Acceptance Period and the Voting Period. At least 2,500 Potential Charities will be invited to move on to the Charity Acceptance Period.

Eligible Nominators are limited to one (1) nomination per Potential Charity, but may nominate an unlimited number of Potential Charities during the Nomination Period for the Programs. Nominations received from any person or IP address in excess of the limitation per Potential Charity will be void. Nominations generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means which subvert the nomination process are void.

Charity Acceptance Periods:

On or about August 6, 2012, Chase will attempt to contact each Eligible Nominated Charity to inform the Eligible Nominated Charity that it has been nominated and how to accept the nomination and to participate.

Early Charity Acceptance Period: Beginning August 6, 2012 at 12:00:01 a.m. ET and ending August 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET (“Early Charity Acceptance period”), the Eligible Nominated Charities will have the opportunity to accept the nomination for the Programs. By accepting the nomination, Eligible Nominated Charities who are eligible for both the National Program and the Western Washington Program will be eligible to receive grants from both Programs. Additionally, all Eligible Nominated Charities who accept the nomination as described below by August 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET will equally share in a $2.5 million grant. The $2.5 million grant will be equally-divided between all of the Eligible Nominated Charities who accept their nomination August 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. Eligible Nominated Charities who do not accept their nomination by August 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET will not be eligible to share in the $2.5 million grant.

Aileen

I think everyone should be informed so those who want to be nominated can be. But, the onus is on the group to get its act together. If it can't manage to get itself into the competition or ask for help in doing so, does it have any chance of getting the votes needed to win? I don't think so.

Merry, I think you and I are looking at this from 2 different points of view. You are looking to include as many groups as possible. I'm not sure if you have been involved in Chase before or not. I have for a number of years. What I have learned from past experience is that the more groups you nominate, the more difficult it is for anyone to win if you are only allowed a small number of votes.

I am looking at this from a longer perspective. When the voting list comes out, if I have 10 places to put my 2 votes, we will get $0. They only way to get some money for someone is to keep our "list within the larger list" short. I am looking at the registration process (or whatever they call it) as a competition among our groups to see who has what it takes to win. Which organization(s) have enough initiative to contact Chase and enter, fill out the paperwork, web stuff etc, contact the rest of us and tell us that they have entered please get ready to vote for us. Which groups can get organized, start liaising with other groups and so forth. That is what it will take to win even the smallest amount of money.

So... let's make sure all the groups are informed about the contest and what they need to do and the deadline. There is lots of time. For the moment, we just sit back and wait. We'll see who the eager beavers are. :)

Merry

Thank you, Aileen.

It's true the strategy that I had in mind for the nomination process was to give as many ME/CFS organizations as possible a chance for a share of the early deadline $2.5 million grant. Plus with only five days to go before nomination, I supposed it would be unlikely that many organizations could provide feedback by then.

Let's say that you are able to convince me to nominate five organizations only, the five of your choice. Then when I go to the Chase database, I can find only four. I nominate those four. But Chase only issues invitations to three. Only one meets the early deadline. Another one doesn't meet the second deadline.

In the above scenario you had some influence over who I nominated, but how many other nominators will you be able to influence? I can't guess because no one else has mentioned that they are eligible and intend to nominate ME/CFS organizations.

I was thinking that after the nomination process, we as a community could try to come up with a short list of organizations likely to get out the vote (and likely to do the most good with the money?). Maybe form coalitions with other groups in the autism or Lyme community?

Aileen, I await further guidance. But whatever resilience I had when I was younger is now shot, and the discussion this morning has taken a toll. Naptime.

frenchtulip

I don't know about this. I don't have a Chase credit card, only the online banking account. Hmm. Ok, now I remember reading that an online banking account is required to participate in the contest. So if that person doesn't have a Chase bank account, then it would not be possible to open a Chase online bank account.

Edit: I take that back. In the intro to the contest rules, it says customers with an online account. Doesn't say bank account. So is it possible for Chase credit card holders to have an online credit card account? The person with the credit card should check. Or maybe this person already has such an account. In that case, this person probably knows more than I do.

Thank you, Merry!

frenchtulip

all Eligible Nominated Charities who accept the nomination as described below by August 30, 2012 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET will equally share in a $2.5 million grant.

Early Charity Acceptance: It looks like it would be fine to nominate as many of our charities as we can. Hopefully, they will accept the nomination early and be eligible for a share in the $2.5 million grant. A grant of several hundred dollars would be nice for each of our org's. Once we get through the nomination phase, then we can decide which org's may have the best chance of winning in the contest. But I think it would be wise to go for the free money for as many org's as possible.

Aileen

Ah, I missed the part about everyone sharing equally in a $2.5 million dollar grant. That definitely changes things. I really wish Chase would keep the contest format the same from year to year so we would know what we were doing. I think every single time something has been different.

frenchtulip

I agree. And the rules are so much more complicated this time. I remember Pepsi Refresh became a much more difficult contest as it evolved.

-------------
Just had a happy thought. Some of the most highly competitive groups have already won and are not eligible, and schools are not allowed this time. Last year a lot of schools won. So we may have a better chance than we think.

taniaaust1

Thank you, Aileen.

Let's say that you are able to convince me to nominate five organizations only, the five of your choice. Then when I go to the Chase database, I can find only four. I nominate those four. But Chase only issues invitations to three. Only one meets the early deadline. Another one doesn't meet the second deadline.

I think most who have entered this competition in the past do understand where Aileen is coming from. Last year people had 10 votes to play around with and even with 10 votes, we didnt manage to get all of the ME/CFS orgs which were in this competition throu to being winners.

This year, most of us will only have one fifth of the amount of votes we had last year to play around with. This year this competition will also be better known and I have no doubts more orgs (not talking about ME/CFS orgs) will enter so competition will be fiercer.

I dont think there needs to be a fear of not having enough of our orgs in this competition for them to be capable of taking out places. Last year only 3 or was it 4? of our orgs got throu, which was less then half of what orgs were there to be voted for. One assumes those 4 orgs of ours who JUST missed out last year will be trying again this year. On top of that, a couple of our orgs which would of qualified last year, just missed the deadline (so I assume those will also make sure they dont this year).
(the orgs who just missed out have done a lot for ME/CFS and were worthy of winning money orgs). We only have a very good chance of getting 2 or 3 of our orgs to win with the number of votes we have... trying for any more then that would mean all our orgs may miss out.

As long as our orgs know about this competition dates and deadlines .. if they are serious about being in this competition and do really want it .. I do think they'd make sure someone has nominated them.

We wasted a lot of votes last year on one of our support orgs who had been nomininated by people but who didnt want to be in the competition, so they withdraw well after the voting started.... I'd hate to see that happen again with peoples votes wasted (that may of made the difference in some of our other orgs missing out last year). If an org is appearing there to be voted on and people know the org.. they automatically assume the org wants to be there and wont even consider that that org may pull out a week after competition starts.

Hence why some of are saying to check to see if the org wants to be in this comp. qualifies and are willing to also put in the work (eg they need to fill out stuff on themselves to go onto the Chase site) before nominating as otherwise we may find ourselves in same situation as last year... and as people only have a few votes, the outcome of such a thing happening would be worst.

(hopefully the org that happened with who was nominated but didnt want to be in the comp.. hopefully same dont happen with that org. I still dont understand why one of our support orgs wasnt interested in getting more money for themselves to help support us)

I was thinking that after the nomination process, we as a community could try to come up with a short list of organizations likely to get out the vote (and likely to do the most good with the money?). Maybe form coalitions with other groups in the autism or Lyme community?

Several of our groups got money last year and seeing we only have a few votes this year... I personally think we dont have enough votes now to be giving any of our votes away to other non ME/CFS groups and it would make more sense to use our votes to just vote for our groups as several will have a chance if the communities agree on some kind of voting order.
Last year thou with the 10 votes.. it would of been good if coalitions with other groups had been formed, but unfortunately that didnt happen.

frenchtulip

I called Chase in Columbus, OH. The person at Chase said those with Chase credit cards are customers. They can set up online access with a Chase online user id if they don't yet have online access. Then they can vote and nominate in the Chase Community Giving Contest. Please go to: https://www.chase.com/online/Special-Offers/chasegiving_none.htm?dest=https://www.chase.com/online/Special-Offers/ccg_redirect.htm?nptag=CCG. Click "Set up online access." When you indicate "personal account," there will be a place for your card no. It looks like you must also give a Social Security no. You can then choose a online user id. It will at some point allow you to choose a password. The lady wasn't very familiar with the CCG Program, but I believe she gave the right info. If you have problems, please let me know.