• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Changes in the transcriptome of circulating immune cells

Belbyr

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2058738418820402

It is getting more interesting! I could be wrong, but I think I am starting to see some dots connected in ME/CFS with this article.

To the best of our knowledge, this is the first RNA-seq that has analysed PBMCs of ME/CFS patients. This technology was, however, used in a recent whole blood study analysing adolescent ME/CFS participants by gene set enrichment.4 Our analysis was consistent with their findings, suggesting impairment of B cell differentiation and survival, enhanced innate antiviral responses and inflammation. Co-expression patterns and single gene transcripts were associated with neuroendocrine markers of altered HPA axis and autonomic nervous activity, plasma cortisol, blood monocyte and eosinophil counts. We have found significant molecular changes in our ME/CFS cohort that are consistent with those reported in larger complementary but not identical studies. Previous microarray and differential display studies of gene expression in ME/CFS have indicated disturbances in immune pathways, mitochondrial function, cell stress and apoptosis.

Last edited:

Wishful

It's dishearteningly complex. Genes being over and underexpressed; the immune system being chaotic and requiring cytokines to vary constantly within a range; possible other changes that affect chemical transfer across membranes; microbiome changes. It's amazing that the human body functions at all. Thinking about all that interacting complexity does make me less optimistic about finding the core dysfunction quickly. However, there's still the possibility of finding ways to 'knock' it all back into normal function, even without knowing exactly how it works.

roller

wiggle jiggle
However, there's still the possibility of finding ways to 'knock' it all back into normal function, even without knowing exactly how it works.

attempts are going on for +/- 5,000 years.
no chance without machine.

they should have made the plan, others meanwhile the tech.
now, we have to wait for differently educated ppl in "bio-tech" to do it all.

the regular medical studies are on their way out, imo.
its entirely wrong organized.
it should be the most techie field of all.
its backwards, stone age.

cutting off breasts, and such things..

Belbyr

It's dishearteningly complex. Genes being over and underexpressed; the immune system being chaotic and requiring cytokines to vary constantly within a range; possible other changes that affect chemical transfer across membranes; microbiome changes. It's amazing that the human body functions at all. Thinking about all that interacting complexity does make me less optimistic about finding the core dysfunction quickly. However, there's still the possibility of finding ways to 'knock' it all back into normal function, even without knowing exactly how it works.

What would be cool is if they find an answer for this ‘trap’ then see if it shows gene expression changing. I’m glad to see we are building a big genetic database in cfs.

Murph

:)
I like the intent of this study but I feel a bit disheartened by this figure. Not only is their sample small but the statistical differences they found are little enough to possibly be random variation.

Screen Shot 2019-02-07 at 10.09.53 AM.png

Wishful

One thing that struck me about the article was that they seemed to 'find' correlations to symptoms common to ME, such as sleep problems. It just seemed a bit too pat. Maybe it's honest research, but it just made me a little bit suspicious.

ljimbo423

Our analysis was consistent with their findings, suggesting impairment of B cell differentiation and survival, enhanced innate antiviral responses and inflammation.

This is in-line with my experience. I haven't had a cold or a flu in probably 15 years or more. I'm pretty sure that's from an up-regulated innate immunity.

Many others here also haven't had colds or flus for many years.