• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chaga Tea, dramatic but temporary

frozenborderline

I got significant (above placebo) relief from symptoms, though certainly not full remission, from chaga tea a few times. Each time the effect would last for around 3 hours. If I had the energy right now I'd do a little research and note why this is... I really need someone, even a layperson, to help me "play detective" in reverse engineering a theory of etiology based on the things that have helped.

I guess chaga is immune modulator?
there's lots of things in it.. oxalic acid for one...
This only worked when the tea was very strong, like disgustingly strong... felt relief from my usual muscle pain/air hunger/shortness of breath... and also a sense of warmth

Wolfcub

I'm glad that tea helped you @debored13 It's so nice to have something to turn to, that will help, even for a short time.
I have never heard of Chaga tea, will have to take a look.

I have been eating a lot of spinach, chard etc recently because I have access to an organic garden for free. They also contain oxalic acid. So far though it's lovely food, I haven't noticed any help from them.

Seven7

Seven
IS a known energetic and also an immune modulator, would be interesting to know if you do well on other mod teas ( like açaí) I was put on modulators and Helppes a lot.

Wolfcub

I'd be interested in that @debored13

Sometimes it would be nice to try something else that had a hope of helping....that I felt OK about instinctively. Sometimes nothing helps and I am searching for whatever might when it's not too good.

frozenborderline

Hopefully I'll recover even a little bit and be able to do more work figuring out why these things work...

"tocovit" (A mixed tocopherols product extracted from wheat germ oil... form of vitamin E)
This helped temporarily, often, increased appetite and subjective feeling of warmth along with decreasing shortness of breath and slightly increasing activity threshold

"lapodin"
a product that contained a mixture of emodin and beta-lapachone. Emodin is supposed to help with constipation but also supposedly oxidative metabolism in general. @Hip and others have noted that it can also be a purinergic receptor antagonist, similar to suramin, but at doses higher than I was using.
This gave similar feeling of increased warmth and slightly increased activity threshold, and decrease in symptoms in general, temporarily

Bag Breathing:
This one's an odd one. It's based on ideas about carbon dioxide and metabolism. I've done it both for anxiety symptoms and just for overall pain and air hunger/shortness of breath... It tends to help with both , to an extent. Not a miracle cure. But it should have a similar effect as carbogen, acetazolamide, etc

ProgestE
This is just progesterone in some kind of MCT or coconut oil and vitamin E/tocopherols

I've used this a lot, recently, maybe too much. There are a couple odd side effects that I'm not quite sure why or when they pop up, but since it's helped more than it's hurt and nothing much has helped recently, I still keep using it despite the side effects. One of the side effects that's well-documented is a decrease in sex drive for males, i think. I've gotten this but it doesn't matter because i'm way too sick to have relationships. I haven't grown breasts yet, haha. apparently using with DHEA or other androgen-promoting substance can easily counter the feminizing effects if they do occur.

it helps with pain and I think overall with metabolism/activity tolerance.

High dose thiamine:
I took 2000 mg of thiamine hcl a couple of times.

It increased warmth and feelings of energy, but I also had a couple heart palpitations.
Possibly from nutrient deficiency, like magnesium or something.

Coffee/caffeine
I know I'm going to get some disapproval for this one.
When I first got sick, I tried to use the stimulants I was already prescribed (for ADHD) to help with energy. This didn't really help and I had odd reactions to them. But coffee seemed to, without the same side effects.

When I've been very severely sick, I often have intense trouble even forming a thought and have an all-encompassing discomfort that is not exactly pain, but is perhaps even worse than pain in a sense--it's hard to describe, feels like my tissues are dry and desiccated or just like I'm already dead, rigid, etc. Often when I have this, even though I'm severely fatigued, I can't sleep. one of the only things that helps is small amounts of caffeine, which alleviate this feeling and allow me to sleep.

I had been thinking that less caffeine would be good until I read this: http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

Caffeine is a mitochondrial uncoupler, like aspirin, or thyroid hormone. It increases metabolism, and thus you're supposed to have some form of sugar/starch with it, otherwise it can cause negative symptoms. Once I started having coffee with milk and sugar, or with fruit/starch, it alleviated any negative reactions I've had from it. Hopefully if I try thyroid it will lower the amount of coffee I have , but until then it's one of the only things that has helped me bear all of this. It doesn't make me very stimmed out or wired--just alleviates pain, shortness of breath, allows me to relax fully.

frozenborderline

I also take aspirin with vitamin K some but I'm not sure if it does anything, these are mostly the things that have helped in a pronounced way

frozenborderline

I forgot one: Saline. I know Jonathan Edwards says you should be able to get the same effect from drinking salt water--but I have a hard time getting down a similar amount of salt water orally. I do seem to get benefit from salting my food , which i'm not in the habit of doing. Or from putting salt in my orange juice to make a makeshift gatorade

Tammy

More on Chaga: I got this from Anthony Williams book, "Life Changing Foods."

Revitalizes white blood cell count by increasing the production of lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrophils, basophils, and eosinophils so that body can battle invaders such as toxins, bacteria, viruses, fungus.

Strengthens red blood cells and bone marrow

Staves off cytokine storms, which are the result of the body overreacting to a pathogen or toxin.

helps regulate blood sugar

Boosts adrenals while regulating the rest of the endocrine system

Breaks down biofilm( jelly like substance that's a by-product of certain viruses and fungi)

Destroys unproductive fungus in intestinal tract.

hmnr asg

hi @debored13
After reading your post i bought me a box of Chaga tea from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC5P9S8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried 2 tea bags in one cup and let it steep for about 20 minutes and drank it to no effect. I will keep drinking it since i spent the money already and if anything happens i will report back.

ps i think me and you have some similar symptoms. I also have this terrible terrible air hunger and shortness of breath. Mine gets much worse when i talk on the phone for some reason! The only thing i have found that somewhat alleviates it is putting my legs up so blood rushes to my head! weird but works to improve me around 20%. This is a new symptom of my CFS that came about 3 months ago when i started slipping from mild to moderate and is definitely the worst.

ps i admire your tenacity in continuing to try things and experiment. I gave up trying a few years ago because i figured none of the things im trying is helping (aside from rest and doing nothing). But i think even if there is a 0.001% chance of finding something that will make you better it wont happen to those who have given up. So im back in experimenting and the next thing i will try is DCA.

Good luck !

Last edited:

hmnr asg

hi @debored13
So i did some research and apparently you have to brew this tea for HOURS!
i let it steep for like 10 minutes.
So tonight i let three bags steep in a pot on the stove for 2 hours and had the tea and i definitely felt something ! subtle but definitely felt something. A bit more clarity and calm and energy (maybe 10%).
I am going to keep experimenting with this. I think you are onto something that while not a cure, could be a nice tool in one's arsenal. I could just brew a bunch of this on the weekend and just drink it instead of regular tea.
I'm going to order the mushroom chunks now from Amazon.
By the way, have you tried DCA or any vasodilators (like nytroglycerin)? i am thinking of going that route next. Also im going to try an antidepressants, either luvox or cymbalta.
Hope you are doing well!

frozenborderline

So far it seems like chaga has such a broad range of protective effects (immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antiviral, anti IgE/mast cell) that it's tough to say what it says about my situation if I get relief from it. What I wonder about the most is the safety of strong-ass chaga tea frequently, at high doses. I don't seem to get relief from tincture, and I'm hoping it's not that it doesn't work for me anymore, like happens with many things in cfs.

@Hip has done calculations on how much of a couple of components in chaga tea are safe to take in their pure form, but I"m not sure about the safety of high dose chaga. It has a lot of compounds in it. Anyway I will persist

pamojja

What I wonder about the most is the safety of strong-ass chaga tea frequently, at high doses.

Just listen to a the series 'Remedy' about herbals. One herbalist, David Wolfe, talked very high about and the safety of regular chaga tea. What stood out was his remark, that after 1 or 2 years of consuming, the effects would add up to one's immune system being in a completely different and saver place. So long term consumption would give even much broader good effects than possible in the short term. Reishi would act the same.

He was just not a friend of regular alkaloids consumption (caffeine..).

frozenborderline

Today after the thyroid i took last night had worn off and I felt back to normal (bad), i just had a big glass of very strong (it should taste harsh) chaga tea plus some drops of tincture, and I feel a very strong effect. So maybe it hasn't stopped working for me!

It feels good to feel good--even a normal amount of good is like heaven when you feel awful so much of the time

frozenborderline

One possible concern is that chaga has oxalic acid, which in high doses can cause kidney stones, etc

Yet I haven't heard of any cases of chaga overdose and so I wonder if the other compounds in it modulate that effect