• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cfs, depression and lack of motivation

knackers323

After nearly 14 years I am lacking motivation and am somewhat depressed. It is hard to know where the cfs symptoms end and the depression symptoms start. I sometimes wonder if my lack of energy can be explained by the mental state of mind. does anyone else question themselves sometimes or have anything to add to this? Also can anyone tell me if those who are depressed only if they make themselves do physical activity will it make them feel better or worse?

silicon

Hi knackers,

I've always thought that if someone solely suffers from depression, then exercise is usually helpful to them, invigorating. However, if one has CFIDS, then exercise/exertion often brings with it the potential specter of post-exertion malaise/exhaustion--and we must find our envelope and live within it, or suffer the consequences. I find that some physical activity is helpful and invigorating--but I've learned over the years what my envelope is, and it is so frustrating to crash after trying to do something positive for oneself, like (overdone) exercise. And that envelope can change from day to day--something that i can handle on a good day I cannot on a bad day. I hope this rambling somewhat speaks to your question...

Take care,
silicon

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I've been giving this a great deal of thought of late. I have very low mental and physical energy. If I do minor physical activity, I find that it doesn't make me feel better as one might expect if it were depression, but if only for a few minutes I forget about how bad I feel. Then there's that find line between do enough and doing too much.

I've been through lots of antidepressants off label for pain, etc., and have never gotten anything except side effects.

I doubt that helps much, but you're not alone in wondering about it.

knackers323

I have noticed that the better my mood is the more energy I have and the more I can tolerate exercise. So I start to wonder if this would continue the happier I got and think that maybe im just not as happy as I should be.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
As if you could control how happy you feel? Don't fall for the idea that you should be able to do this, that if you don't "feel happy" (emotionally) or "feel good" (physically) it's your fault.

There's no way to tell which way the arrow of causation is really pointing, either. If you have more energy one day - through no fault or credit of your own, just the disease cycling the way it does - that might be improving your mood, rather than the reverse.

Christopher

It's more possible that your depression/gloomy outlook are part of your overall CFS symptoms, so when you have a period of time where your CFS symptoms improve, your mood will as well. It's like saying "well maybe my NK cells should be more active!" They're both biological symptoms with biological causes. It's still important to maintain a positive outlook, but it's easier to do so knowing why you feel the way you do and that you're not doing anything wrong but not being happier.

Sean

I've been through lots of antidepressants off label for pain, etc., and have never gotten anything except side effects.
Same here. Tried them for years, several different types... Nothing but shitty 'side effects', including impotence, which is a barrel of fun and really helps your intimate relationships along - NOT.

Lynn

Wow, you have an intimate relationship? Unfortunately in my life that seems to be a casualty of CFS. I think of all the things I would change that would definitely be high on my list.

Sean

Wow, you have an intimate relationship? Unfortunately in my life that seems to be a casualty of CFS. I think of all the things I would change that would definitely be high on my list.
Nope. No intimate relationships for nearly 20 years now. In no small part due to the aforementioned side effects.