• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC Mission Statement -- What are they doing in ME/CFS at all??

SOC

Not sure this is in the right place, but with all the discussion about communicating with/changing the CDC, I thought this might be useful for advocacy purposes.

The CDC is NOT a medical research facility. It is a Public Health organization.

CDC Mission
Collaborating to create the expertise, information, and tools that people and communities need to protect their health – through health promotion, prevention of disease, injury and disability, and preparedness for new health threats.
CDC seeks to accomplish its mission by working with partners throughout the nation and the world to
monitor health,
detect and investigate health problems,
conduct research to enhance prevention,
develop and advocate sound public health policies,
implement prevention strategies,
promote healthy behaviors,
foster safe and healthful environments,
provide leadership and training.

Those functions are the backbone of CDC′s mission. Each of CDC′s component organizations undertakes these activities in conducting its specific programs. The steps needed to accomplish this mission are also based on scientific excellence, requiring well-trained public health practitioners and leaders dedicated to high standards of quality and ethical practice.
[my bolding]

Notice the lack of original research, funding for research, lobbying for funding, or almost anything about newly discovered illnesses.

The only mission they have that could be related to a new or mysterious illness is,
"detect and investigate health problems", which they fell flat on their faces on over 25 years ago in Incline Village.

IMO, they have no business in ME/CFS at all until we know enough about it to expect "prevention" and health professional training.

Rather than wasting our time on the CDC, shouldn't we simply be insisting they get out of the ME/CFS business and concentrate our efforts on research organizations?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

alex3619

Hi SickofCFS, the only function of the CDC is to validate and monitor the existence of ME/CFS and its prevalence. It has no other function that I can see. If we want that, great. That is not where our main effort should be however. It might have a role in physician education, or a roll-out of an XMRV vaccine, at some time in the future. Bye, Alex

Marty

It is the CDC that interfaces with the public and the doctors. They and the world check the CDC website - which is why we have to get that website replaced with biomedical validation. (And when they do replace it, that will be a sign of policy turnaround at the CDC. Unger can say sweet things to try to quiet our protest, but until they put it in writing on their website, don't be fooled.)

SOC

It is the CDC that interfaces with the public and the doctors. They and the world check the CDC website - which is why we have to get that website replaced with biomedical validation. (And when they do replace it, that will be a sign of policy turnaround at the CDC. Unger can say sweet things to try to quiet our protest, but until they put it in writing on their website, don't be fooled.

Agreed. They need to fix the website. They also need to fix the d@#$d name they gave us. But they shouldn't be doing basic research.

SOC

Or maybe more to the point, their public health info re: ME/CFS should be "No one know much of anything, yet. Come back later." That's the sad truth.

markmc20001

The CDC has given the meaningless name to CFS. The CDC interferes with meaningful biomedical research like the WPI is doing by creating false negative studies. The CDC release all kinds of psychobable studies designed to obfuscate the real nature of our disease. The CDC supports flouride(a toxic bi-product of aluminum smelting) in the drinking water, yet they haven't proven why it is safe. They support mutiple vaccinations in children yet haven't provided any studies that prove mutliple vaccinations given to a child in such a short timeframe is safe. The CDC has created a un-accountaable organization called the CFSAC that is a joke.

It is safe to say that the CDC is an arm of big business and the health insurance companies.

The CDC should have it's budget completely wiped out for all I am concerned. They are an absolute barrier to our getting good government funding for bio-medical research, and have probably prevented many useful treatments being developed over 25 years since the major outbreaks in Lyndonville and Incline village.

I would like to see an aduit of the CDC to see what their annual budget has been for the last 25 years, and exactly what they have accomplished with that money.