• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CBT-I for Sleep Maintenance Insomnia and CFS

Has anyone had any success using CBT-I or Sleep Restriction Therapy?

Lately, I've been waking up 3-4 hours after bed and unable to go to sleep. My therapist recommends the techniques I listed above but I'm not sure how that would effect my CFS. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Wishful

I've had problems with insomnia too: being unable to fall asleep again after waking in the night. I accidentally discovered that Evening Primrose Oil allows me to fall asleep again properly. I'm still experimenting with dosage and timing, but it seems that three 500 mg caps in the morning and three in the evening works best so far. No guarantees that it will work for everyone, but it's been working well for me.

Wishful

Another suggestion: try to find things that might be causing your insomnia. I had insomnia this morning, 4:30->maybe 6:30 (then managed some more sleep), and I think it's because I was checking out book recommendations on Goodreads around 4PM. Certain types of cognitive activities past 2PM trigger my insomnia the following night. I know that playing a computer strategy game does (other types don't), but it seems I have to add reading book recommendations to the list. Physical exertion past 2PM also triggered insomnia, but I've cured that, though I'm not sure if it was the cumin or the evening primrose oil that did the trick. Quickly-digested carbs in the middle portion of my day was another trigger.

For you it might be some other activity--or food--that triggers your insomnia. You'll have to experiment to see if any such thing is triggering yoru insomnia. If there's something to do or consume each day, try doing without it, or at least at a different time of day, and see if that helps.

Diwi9

Administrator
This thread is timely. My sleep has been insane. One day it just totally reversed, causing me to be up all night and sleeping during the day. It's shifted again, but I'm waking up at 2:30 am.

Someone just mentioned Hetloiz to me and I need to see if it's been discussed on the forum. It's a drug to help blind people whose circadian rhythms are disturbed. https://www.hetlioz.com/

Not that I want another pill to take...but this level of sleep disruption really impacts on function and any ability to plan.

sb4

Having strong light in day time and darkness in night time helps the circadian rhythm and some have found it helps them sleep better.

Speaking of blind people, I remember seeing a device used for jet lag that would shine blue light into your ear. I think the idea was that this light would hit the pineal gland and simulate morning light and hormone release.

Wishful

Has anyone had any success using CBT-I or Sleep Restriction Therapy?

I did finally remember to look that up. My concern is that these techniques are designed and tested for people without ME. Many treatments that are good for normal people have negative effects for PWME.

wabi-sabi

My concern is that these techniques are designed and tested for people without ME.
I would be concerned about this too. Yes, my sleep is all messed up, but sleep deprivation makes all symptoms (including insomnia, ironically) worse. My understanding is that these therapies are meant to make you so tired that your body will finally submit and fall asleep. I've never found that to work, after ME/CFS.

Last night was particularly bad (didn't fall asleep until between 4 and 5 am) and I am very tired, but not one tiny bit sleepy. It's like my brain gets jammed in the "on" position. When this happens I think the best thing is to get as much sleep as possible whenever possible to avoid further exacerbating things. It will pass as soon as the brain gets jammed in the "off" position. :)

Wishful

It's like my brain gets jammed in the "on" position.

Good description. Sometimes I wake up and just know that my brain is in 'awake' mode and there's no chance of falling asleep again any time soon. I may as well get up and read or whatever for an hour or two and then maybe try sleeping again.

I don't feel that lack of sleep helps me fall asleep more easily when this 'awake' switch is stuck. Whether it's due to hormones or some other chemical imbalance, it has to correct itself before normal sleep drive can activate. The Evening Primrose Oil seem to be helping me with that. Maybe it's lubricating the sticky switch. ;)

sometexan84

Just posted this tip in another thread, reposting here for others.

So yea, I've gone through the exact same thing. Waking middle of night, can't fall back asleep. And I am really really proud of this idea, because it really works.

When trying to go back to sleep, I've been too wired. So I shut my eyes, get comfortable, and picture in my mind graphics like below. I picture a guy sleeping in bed, with little ZZZzzzz's floating above. And as long as I stay focused on that type of cartoony sleeping guy imagery, I start feeling tired, like legit tired, as if I'd taken another melatonin. Serious it worx! As if that image in my brain makes it shift back to parasympathetic instead of sympathetic activity. It's crazy!

Seriously, try it, and tell me how it goes.

1596100484187-png.38542

1596100492762-png.38543

1596100499685-png.38544