• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caution about statins

Please refer to: https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/...ng-new-discovery-in-treating-cfs-fibromyalgia

Viral infections prompt the immune system to make interferon. This suppresses the mevalonic pathway that makes cholesterol and pregnenolone.

The mevalonic pathway is responsible for the production of cholesterol, coenzyme Q10 and other key hormones.

However, viral infections interfere with this pathway. Statins tend to block the same pathway and long term use may starve the body of coenzyme Q10 and pregnenolone. This may cause ME/CFS and FMS symptoms to flare up.

Comment: Therefore, I am taking at least 150mg of coenzyme Q10 and 50mg pregnenolone per day.

Hip

I would suggest you post the above info in your threads about how statins improved your ME/CFS, as it's more relevant there.

Tammy

Viral infections prompt the immune system to make interferon. This suppresses the mevalonic pathway that makes cholesterol and pregnenolone.
hmmm. Interesting. I had VERY low cholesterol readings when my EBV was really raging. The immunologist i was seeing was just as concerned about the low cholesterol levels as he was with my EBV titers, and labs for B and T cells, NK killer cells.

The immunologist i was seeing was just as concerned about the low cholesterol levels as he was with my EBV titers ...

I had severe glandular fever before succumbing to ME/CFS. The doctor never mentioned my cholesterol level, but he admitted that he didn't know much about ME/CFS. I strongly suspect that EBV wrecked my system, and perhaps it was only luck that the statin is having such a positive effect on my health.