• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Catathrenia / Sleep apnea

Catathrenia is an sleep related breathingdisorder, consisting of end-inspiratory apnea (breath holding) and expiratory groaning during sleep. ... Catathrenia is distinct from both somniloquy and obstructive sleepapnea (OSA). The sound is produced during exhalation as opposed to snoring, which occurs during inhalation.

I have been doing this for the last 6/7 years... I hold my breath then make a moaning sound on exhalation and I breathe through my mouth when sleeping.

Anyone else!? My doctor said there’s nothing to worry about as I’m Still getting oxygen as opposed to not getting it. This started when I tried an SSRI that completely messed with my brain and nervous system.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
That's my husband, all right! I listen to him breathe in, and then I count the seconds until he breathes out with a groan (it's usually 10-15 seconds until he exhales). Sleep issues run in his family. He's also been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, and now uses a CPAP. I saw a study online that suggested that using a CPAP could help with this issue (at the very least, the mask muffles the noise!). However, it seems like most doctors don't really know much about this.

That's my husband, all right! I listen to him breathe in, and then I count the seconds until he breathes out with a groan (it's usually 10-15 seconds until he exhales). Sleep issues run in his family. He's also been diagnosed with mild sleep apnea, and now uses a CPAP. I saw a study online that suggested that using a CPAP could help with this issue (at the very least, the mask muffles the noise!). However, it seems like most doctors don't really know much about this.

It’s terrified most of my partners too! I found it happens when I’m most stressed / tired. The funny thing is that I don’t snore at all - I’ll just make either a squeaking noise or long groin.