• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida binds thyroxin!

jason30

Hi all,

I have read on a few sites that candida binds with thyroxin, and therefor it's responsible for a low thyroid function. This explain the connection between candida and thyriod problems.

I can't find any research about this. Does anyone know more about candida binding with thyroxin?

Personally it would explain my thyriod symptoms. At this moment candida is there, and I also have the typical thyriod symptoms.

MAF14

I would be interested in this.. I think I have candida now as well as thyroid issues for 6 years now.

Would also explain why Armour made no difference for me at all but wouldnt explain why T3 wouldnt effect me though.

Invisible Woman

Interesting....

I had IBS type symptoms since I was very young. Then eventually in very early 20s was dx with hashimoto's. Had a nightmare getting the dx and couldn't ever really get myself to a symptom free stage. Years later I saw someone who dx candida and we started aggressively treating that. Snag is that I saw a new endocrinologist at the same time and we made a number of changes with thyroid meds. Eventually we found a dose that works for me.

So, the candida problem & thyroid problems were dealt with at the same time. I am careful about what I eat to keep my gut happy and since that time my thyroid has been pretty stable. Just the odd very tiny adjustment here and there in thyroid meds. That was about 20 years ago.

Maybe getting to grips with the candida help the thyroid.... be nice to see some scientific research.

MAF14

Interesting....

I had IBS type symptoms since I was very young. Then eventually in very early 20s was dx with hashimoto's. Had a nightmare getting the dx and couldn't ever really get myself to a symptom free stage. Years later I saw someone who dx candida and we started aggressively treating that. Snag is that I saw a new endocrinologist at the same time and we made a number of changes with thyroid meds. Eventually we found a dose that works for me.

So, the candida problem & thyroid problems were dealt with at the same time. I am careful about what I eat to keep my gut happy and since that time my thyroid has been pretty stable. Just the odd very tiny adjustment here and there in thyroid meds. That was about 20 years ago.

Maybe getting to grips with the candida help the thyroid.... be nice to see some scientific research.

How did you "aggressively" treat the candida?

Invisible Woman

How did you "aggressively" treat the candida?

I saw a qualified dietician. We started out with a food diary and then I was put on a very, very strict no sugar, no moulds/yeast diet. At one point I was on a strict exclusion diet which reduced me down to 16 allowable food items one of which was bottled water! Anything drink with fizz or bubbles, including sparkling water, was banned.

I was also treated with several courses of diflucan and then when symptoms started to creep back a couple of courses of diflucan in combination with another anti fungal drug whose name I just cannot remember. We then tried some probiotic treatments to try to encourage the "good" gut flora (I reacted really badly to a couple of probiotics though).

I also had breathing and relaxation/postural exercises to do. I have a history of asthma and the dietician thought it would be useful in case I was "overbreathing" from habit which can cause blood chemistry changes and cause imbalances in intestinal flora. This was supervised by a physiotherapist.

As long as I stayed on the very strict yeast/sugar free diet my symptoms improved dramatically. As soon as I introduced yeast or sugars (even post anti fungal meds) the problems would come back. At that point the dietician felt we had done all we could.

In the end I remained on the very strict diet for around three years - even after trips to dietician had stopped. After this point I could have a little of products containing small amounts of sugar yeast and, as long as I didn't push my luck, that would be ok.

I also have to be very careful with refined carbs that turn to sugars easily. I have to view these as treats - if I have them too often or too frequently symptoms start creeping back.

It turned out that I am very sensitive to some of the foods and spices that my mother used in her daily cooking when I was a kid (& long before the idea of food sensitivities and allergies were acknowledged) I think this is one of the reasons why I was so difficult to treat.

I also had various deficiencies - especially the metals: iron, magnesium, manganese, chromium and zinc. I still struggle with some of them from time to time - especially iron.

Hope this is of some use. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them. I underwent treatment for this over 15 years ago so things may have moved on. This all took place in the UK and I have a feeling that the USA is probably ahead of us in dealing with this type of thing.

MAF14

I saw a qualified dietician. We started out with a food diary and then I was put on a very, very strict no sugar, no moulds/yeast diet. At one point I was on a strict exclusion diet which reduced me down to 16 allowable food items one of which was bottled water! Anything drink with fizz or bubbles, including sparkling water, was banned.

I was also treated with several courses of diflucan and then when symptoms started to creep back a couple of courses of diflucan in combination with another anti fungal drug whose name I just cannot remember. We then tried some probiotic treatments to try to encourage the "good" gut flora (I reacted really badly to a couple of probiotics though).

I also had breathing and relaxation/postural exercises to do. I have a history of asthma and the dietician thought it would be useful in case I was "overbreathing" from habit which can cause blood chemistry changes and cause imbalances in intestinal flora. This was supervised by a physiotherapist.

As long as I stayed on the very strict yeast/sugar free diet my symptoms improved dramatically. As soon as I introduced yeast or sugars (even post anti fungal meds) the problems would come back. At that point the dietician felt we had done all we could.

In the end I remained on the very strict diet for around three years - even after trips to dietician had stopped. After this point I could have a little of products containing small amounts of sugar yeast and, as long as I didn't push my luck, that would be ok.

I also have to be very careful with refined carbs that turn to sugars easily. I have to view these as treats - if I have them too often or too frequently symptoms start creeping back.

It turned out that I am very sensitive to some of the foods and spices that my mother used in her daily cooking when I was a kid (& long before the idea of food sensitivities and allergies were acknowledged) I think this is one of the reasons why I was so difficult to treat.

I also had various deficiencies - especially the metals: iron, magnesium, manganese, chromium and zinc. I still struggle with some of them from time to time - especially iron.

Hope this is of some use. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them. I underwent treatment for this over 15 years ago so things may have moved on. This all took place in the UK and I have a feeling that the USA is probably ahead of us in dealing with this type of thing.

Thank you for the detail!

I was just expecting "I took X,Y and Z for a few months and so on.."