• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you trace your illness back to about 1980?

alex3619

Hi I have had mild symptoms since 1967 or so, but in 1985 I had the "Year of the Flu". I had so many bouts of what felt like influenza that I no longer recall how many, but not continuously. This included one very severe stomach flu - this could have been coxsackie, but I am not sure as I was never tested at the time. After 1985 I was on a downhill spiral that didn't stop till I stopped trying to eat healthy (healthy as advised by doctors, I have a different interpretation now) and learnt how to pace myself. It was in early 1986 that my muscle pains really started to climb as well. All this 80s stuff was in Brisbane, Australia. Bye, Alex

kat0465

i was never healthy as a child, then in my teens had a lot of viral stuff. tonsils out the whole bit. then i did pretty well till the 80's after my second child was born. got a Horrible flu and since it's been a tough 23 years. was officially diagnosed in 1993.

my Grandmother that raised me probably had it, she struggled as far back as i can remember.
kind of interesting is i was reading up on all the outbreaks over the years. and there was an out break in Galveston, Tx in 1965-66 i was Born in Galveston in the spring of 65, my parents and grandparents lived there for years. so who knows maybe thats where the link in my Particular case is.If this isn't Viral, I'm a monkeys Uncle!!!

Kat

IntuneJune

Great thread! I had to scroll through the entire thread though to see if I had already replied. :)

Diagnosed in 1980-81. Have no idea what set things off, although I did have a bull's eye rash and there was no Lyme disease discovered at that time.

I want to go back and read this thread.....
June

No, more like 1983-1985. But agree with "born predisposed" and I believe other stress in the prior years increased my odds of getting sick. I think prolonged stress is a huge contributing factor, though not always present.